Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2008, 01:06 PM   #76

Photos: Gallery
Madisongirl, from your posts I can see that you are concerned about the future, and not just what is a good deal today. Just remember, that with a Pentax camera body, your LBA will likely incur costs of between $100 to $600 for the best lenses you can get. With the C or N brands, you'll be looking at $1000 to $3000 for the same quality glass. Figure that into your future budget.
A K10D was my first DSLR purchase, coming over from the film world of Mamiya and Olympus. I had no preconceived notions of which brand would be best for me. However, my Mamiya medium format camera is a rangefinder, with very expensive lenses. So if I felt like it was necessary to spend that kind of money on a digital system, I would have. But after looking at Pentax, I discovered I didn't have to.
And you asked about the pancake lenses. I appreciate my K10D more every day, and so I now have accumulated the whole kit of 21, 40, and 70 pancake lenses. All three lenses ended up at just about $1000. That's 3 lenses for a grand! (Got one used from Finn on this forum, the other 2 new). They all have the same filter size, so I just need one polarizer and lens hood, and my whole system fits in a small shoulder bag. And it's very unobtrusive shooting with a pancake instead of a big zoom. I love it.

03-19-2008, 05:09 PM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cygnet Quote
<snip>
Just remember, that with a Pentax camera body, your LBA will likely incur costs of between $100 to $600 for the best lenses you can get. <snip>
That's not accurate today if you're talking about the top Pentax lenses, though prices can always fall. The new DA* lenses start at around $700 and go over $1000. Of course there are lots of very nice lenses for much less, and that's not even counting the used treasures you can find online, at the pawn shop, camera show, etc.

Just wanted to make sure she knew the full implications of Pentax LBA.