Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2013, 05:00 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5 IIs - moire a problem with architectural photography?

Just wondering if anyone has done much in the way of architectural photography with the K-5 IIs, specifically how the lack of anti-alias filter affects it when stopped down.

Ive been doing increasing amounts (paid) with my K7, though the noise on it gets a little frustrating to deal with when PPing (noise reduction plug ins aside) though I'm generally stopping down to F8 / F11 for most shots anyway. The amount of pattern that comes into play with architectural photography cant be ignored.

Anyone have any experience and/or examples?

06-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

it might be my imagination but I think I see it in these pictures I took

IMGC9724
by pearsaab, on Flickr
IMGC9724 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
06-04-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Do you have the full size? At 2048x1356 it seems less pronounced. Can be a downsampling problem.

However - if that building was further away where the building lines start meeting the sensor limit, then you will have moire in the original shot and that's a lot harder to get rid of.
06-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

i'm not sure this is the same picture but this is uncropped

IMGC9725
by pearsaab, on Flickr
IMGC9725 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

06-04-2013, 05:39 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I set permissions so it can be downloaded if you want to look at it closer
06-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
Ole
Administrator

Moire may show up in case of repeating patterns. It can be reduced if not removed in Adobe Camera Raw.
06-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
I set permissions so it can be downloaded if you want to look at it closer
Yeah - at full size, the center building shows no false colour or moire on my monitor. However, if the building was a little further away, I think it would trigger it on the full size shot.
06-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #8
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't see any either. It seems you have to push the detail to the limit in order to produce the effect.

06-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

I was recently at a place called the Genesee Country Village. I have taken some photographs there with My K5 and my K5-IIs. Depending upon the size of the image I get moire on images with both cameras. Shingle roofs can get really gnarly looking. I see this when I open the images with the Pentax Digital Camera Utility. Resizing the image effects moire. No doubt related to the pixels size of the monitor.
06-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I was recently at a place called the Genesee Country Village. I have taken some photographs there with My K5 and my K5-IIs. Depending upon the size of the image I get moire on images with both cameras. Shingle roofs can get really gnarly looking. I see this when I open the images with the Pentax Digital Camera Utility. Resizing the image effects moire. No doubt related to the pixels size of the monitor.
It's mostly the downsampling algorithm the image processor has to use in order to reduce an image while maintaining detail and sharpness. I think photoshop gives you choices of downsampling algorithms that reduce the chance of creating moire.

With regards to images that *click-to-see-larger* on your web browser, I think that's also how the web-browser has been set to display jpegs.
06-05-2013, 02:42 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

I went through my library and this is perhaps one of the worst examples of architectural moire I have found from the Pentax K5IIs:

The remainder of this image has been left untouched to demonstrate how bad the moire really was.

Fortunately, Moire on gratings such as these which are used to protect stained glass windows can easily be countered. Gratings tend to be monochromatic, so using this to my advantage I made a rough monochromatic Luminance mask with the parts of the image affected by moire which I have outlined in red. De-saturating the masked area to eliminate false colour and using the channel mixer to balance luminosity in the masked region to counter the residual luminance moire proved to be the most effective solution to this particular problem. This task only took me a few minutes, I work continuously with cameras without a Bayer AA filters and I have considerable expertise in this area. However I consider using a Wacom graphics tablet to be essential for this kind of detailed masking and retouching work.

Last edited by Digitalis; 06-05-2013 at 03:26 AM.
06-05-2013, 04:57 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Excellent demo, good advice.
06-05-2013, 06:53 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
it might be my imagination but I think I see it in these pictures I took

IMGC9724
by pearsaab, on Flickr
IMGC9724 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Compression artifact I think. Those vertical lines of the building are way further apart than individual pixels.
06-05-2013, 06:56 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I went through my library and this is perhaps one of the worst examples of architectural moire I have found from the Pentax K5IIs:

The remainder of this image has been left untouched to demonstrate how bad the moire really was.

Fortunately, Moire on gratings such as these which are used to protect stained glass windows can easily be countered. Gratings tend to be monochromatic, so using this to my advantage I made a rough monochromatic Luminance mask with the parts of the image affected by moire which I have outlined in red. De-saturating the masked area to eliminate false colour and using the channel mixer to balance luminosity in the masked region to counter the residual luminance moire proved to be the most effective solution to this particular problem. This task only took me a few minutes, I work continuously with cameras without a Bayer AA filters and I have considerable expertise in this area. However I consider using a Wacom graphics tablet to be essential for this kind of detailed masking and retouching work.
The one and only time I have created moire on my K-x (which has a fairly weak filter) was a photo of a walking path made of a closely spaced mesh grid that disappeared off into the distance. At some point the ever smaller grid spacing was going to match the pixel spacing, and at that distance, moire appeared. Only time out of maybe 12000+ photos I have created moire.
07-23-2013, 06:34 AM   #15

Original Poster
Might have to be the K5II(no 's') then, seems like a significant enough problem/risk.