Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2008, 11:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K20D Rocks sports

Ok ok, as soon as I finish some other stuff I will post a few shots here. I just had to tel my joy...

Now I was shooting a night womens LAX game yesterday, at a college field so the lighting was more than the "high-school 4-candle sticks" but still not worthy of 500/sec at ISO 800 or less
I was shooting F4-4.5 at around 500-630?/sec at ISO 1600-3200 (less natural light as the evening progressed)
Using AWB and NR set to the lowest setting, (mode to natural w/ tweak) sharpening set to +1 in fine-mode the jpgs looked great IMO compared to the K10D results. WB was almost spot on.
Tested the 20fps burst mode on sports, it works, I was able to focus a little in manual to track action but not the best. Takes forever to write a full burst (ok, compared to what I am used to now, 30-45sec is forever again... it took double that to clear the *ist-D buffer in RAW, but that was 2-4 years ago) Overall its interesting but at high-iso I get some wide-banding noise or something (horz) It only appears in the burst mode at anything above 1600ISO it seams. Still more testing needed, but my client and the other sideline photogs were like what are you doing, I showed them, like a movie, they were all like COOL! and perfect rez for a newspaper. But overall this mode will take practice to refine.

AF was great w/ my 300 f2.8 FA* Seamed to AFC track better, seamed to have more in-focus than my K10D would.

Man if this keeps up I really donít want to spend another 1200 to get another K20D, I still have my 2 K10D's and want to keep using them. Also with a pro DSLR rumored for photokina or PMA 09 I need to save the change, but the K20 is awesome! And defiantly an improvement. Now I canít wait for the K*D esp if it has higher FPS and a new (faster) AF system. Also a 300mm F2.8 SDM would be great.

Now the only downer... Since no program really supports the PEF's yet and the DNG has a problem in color recording info (I have not tried yet, just read the reports) I am shooting RAW+ at *** jpeg mode. a 4gig card holds a whopping 120-140 shots at this mode... ugg and filling up the buffer takes a bit before it totally clears but after a few sec I can get another full 3fps burst off This is using both sandisk III and Lexar Pro (both class 6) cards. My little 2gigers I used w/ the K10D's are gone in like 5min of sports.

Link to one article so far:
Women's Lacrosse Release - TowsonTigers.com

03-13-2008, 01:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

women's lacrosse looks dangerous..
03-13-2008, 02:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

These women are certainly no different from the ones I encounter in my normal daily life.

I notice the camera focus much better with fa 300 f4.5 and certainly with the amazing lens of fa* 300mm f2.8, it must be a pleasure to use.
03-13-2008, 02:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Lacrosse scares me.
But I'm glad to see the K20D can fare up to sports photography. And getting Canikon users to say "cool" when looking at Pentax gear is nothing short of a miracle (but should somehow come naturally, since PENTAX products are often surprising)

03-13-2008, 03:07 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Shashinki Quote
women's lacrosse looks dangerous..
Lacrose (not hockey!) is Canada's national game. The game was inherited from the indigenous culture by the early arrivals from across the Atlantic. It should be noted that today's version of the game is really quite wimpy, compared to the original. The original game ran until only one team had a live player left.
03-13-2008, 04:24 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Lacrose (not hockey!) is Canada's national game. The game was inherited from the indigenous culture by the early arrivals from across the Atlantic. It should be noted that today's version of the game is really quite wimpy, compared to the original. The original game ran until only one team had a live player left.
I don't think I'd make it in Canada... my wife plays tennis... those ladies look like they could take me out!
03-13-2008, 04:41 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Thanks Brendan. That's great news. Did you try to track any of them running more or less straight at you using AFC? If so, how did it go?
03-13-2008, 05:48 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by BrendanPK Quote
Now the only downer... Since no program really supports the PEF's yet and the DNG has a problem in color recording info (I have not tried yet, just read the reports) I am shooting RAW+ at *** jpeg mode. a 4gig card holds a whopping 120-140 shots at this mode... ugg and filling up the buffer takes a bit before it totally clears but after a few sec I can get another full 3fps burst off This is using both sandisk III and Lexar Pro (both class 6) cards. My little 2gigers I used w/ the K10D's are gone in like 5min of sports.
why not just convert the pefs to dngs with software afterwards?
they're even smaller usually

dave

03-13-2008, 08:48 PM   #9
Inactive Account

I am using the Adobe DNG converter to compress my in camera DNGs, Adobe Bridge CS3 to rename and do an initial viewing, and Aperture 2 for organizing, processing and sending to Photoshop CS3. All of these are handling the K20 DNG files just fine. The only issue I see is that the WB numbers read wrong, but the images look fine. WB presets don't work because they are based on specific numbers and these files start in the wrong place, but the sliders and eye droppers work fine. For me, no problems processing the K20 DNGs in Bridge/Photoshop or Aperture.

On the flip side, the jpegs out of this camera are so good that you could get away with only using the raw files in rare situations and shoot RAW+ forever. I actually like PP, but for those who don't this camera produces jpegs that are out of this world.
03-13-2008, 10:00 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Not long after my last post Adobe released ACR 4.4 with K20 support. No more issues. Except I still need Aperture to update as well.
03-13-2008, 11:00 PM   #11
Veteran Member

am I the only one that thinks that giving women big sticks to swing around is a bad idea?

Maybe it is my two divorces...
03-13-2008, 11:27 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey, womens Lax is one of the few female sports that the girls look well not like they would win in a bar-fight.
But still very lack-luster attendance... I say change the uniform to a bikinie lol

As to the questions, I did use AFC most of the time. I do ahve a few shots coming at me, I will have to look for them.
Yes its cool to have a MK2 user and a D300 user looking over your shoulder.
Overall I am very happy with the results. I am so glad I dont have to shoot F2.8-3.5 all the time anymore, I can actualy have more than 3-6" DOF.
03-14-2008, 05:43 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by BrendanPK Quote
As to the questions, I did use AFC most of the time. I do ahve a few shots coming at me, I will have to look for them.
I've been busy checking the sharpness of about 80 pictures k20D in AFC with the k20d. Pictures of cars were taken by focussing on the front bumper (cars coming towards you), or on the rear licence plate (cars driving away from you). Cars were driving at about 50 kmh (30 mph). The camera was setup with a Pentax F 70-210 using the second half of the zoom range. With this speed and cars approaching, very often the pictures were out of focus. Usually about a car length. With 13-14 m/sec and an average four meter car lenght the k20d seems to lose about 3/10 of second in the whole proces.