Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2013, 05:45 AM   #1

Pentax Camera Hack

With a decent a mount of pentaxian.. We still haven't got anybody to hack the firmware like magic latern to give us stuff like using Screw drive AF motor instead of SDM..etc

I'm saddddddd. I love my pentax but wishes this could be fix & may be some better video option =D

06-05-2013, 05:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnyeros Quote
With a decent a mount of pentaxian.. We still haven't got anybody to hack the firmware like magic latern to give us stuff like using Screw drive AF motor instead of SDM..etc

I'm saddddddd. I love my pentax but wishes this could be fix & may be some better video option =D
Actually there is a hack for screw drive instead of sdm, take a look around and you'll find the discussion.

In fact, here you go:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/208353-how-dea...m-f-2-8-a.html
06-05-2013, 06:05 AM - 3 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

I don't understand why so many people want video on their camera. A digital camera is for still images, if you want video you can buy a video camera. I sincerely hope that Pentax keeps their video option low-key.
06-05-2013, 06:11 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kobayashi.K Quote
I don't understand why so many people want video on their camera. A digital camera is for still images, if you want video you can buy a video camera. I sincerely hope that Pentax keeps their video option low-key.
It isn't that expensive for Pentax to have decent video and doesn't do anything to detract from the still photography experience. I don't shoot much video with my SLRs, but I hope Pentax brings their video up to the level of other brands. Understand that this is all just software implementation, since all of the CMOS camera sensors out there are video capable. Anything that broadens the appeal of Pentax cameras and sells more cameras, strengthens the brand and is a good thing, in my opinion.

06-05-2013, 06:12 AM   #5
Emperor and Senpai

I have a Samsung HD camera for video, my K5 and K-01 for pictures. I like it that way.
06-05-2013, 06:39 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's like 3D TV - you may never use it, but it's in all the new TVs and it's expected now. They may even figure out how to make still photography more innovative using bits of the video features, like the TV manufacturers did.
06-05-2013, 12:57 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As I understand it, there are two big hangups with using a high resolution dSLR as a video camera .... the biggest issue is mechanical ... the CMOS sensor heats as it is used, so to avoid damage most cameras limit the amount of continuous use. The second is software. Video cameras can ignore a lot of things that would drive a still photographer crazy; a video camera uses its processor to manage things more important to video, and vice versa.

Are these issues surmountable? Absolutely - but I can't afford that camera.
06-26-2013, 12:48 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by johnyeros Quote

Well, there seems to be at least one Pentaxian who seems to have the requisite skills, time and interest...

Pentax hack status - Personal View Talks

Any other capable coders out there fancy mucking in and giving RayeR a hand?