Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2013, 01:21 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Upgrade from my K-x too ?

Hi guy's,

I too am at a bit of a dilemma, I currently have a K-x and do not wish to get rid, but I was looking at either a K-30 or K-5. The K-5 ii and K-5 ii s are just a tad over my budget in the UK so will opt for one of the others. Is this a bit of a no brainer question? Should I go K-5 or should I go K-30?

As you can see from my limited gallery I am no professional picture taker, but I do love the Pentax brand and hopefully some of the manual lenses I have purchased will fit either model. This in theory should save me a few pounds in the long run, and keeps my wife relatively happy as I can justify a new camera, but not the 5 extra bits of kit... well not initially anyway..

06-06-2013, 01:27 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fatdaz Quote
Hi guy's,

I too am at a bit of a dilemma, I currently have a K-x and do not wish to get rid, but I was looking at either a K-30 or K-5. The K-5 ii and K-5 ii s are just a tad over my budget in the UK so will opt for one of the others. Is this a bit of a no brainer question? Should I go K-5 or should I go K-30?

As you can see from my limited gallery I am no professional picture taker, but I do love the Pentax brand and hopefully some of the manual lenses I have purchased will fit either model. This in theory should save me a few pounds in the long run, and keeps my wife relatively happy as I can justify a new camera, but not the 5 extra bits of kit... well not initially anyway..
The K-30 would the the perfect upgrade IMO

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-06-2013, 01:27 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

I'm in the same situation as you-- love my K-x but thinking about a new body (WR, larger viewfinder, autofocus accuracy, etc.). You might want to wait, though, until the K-50 (or whatever it's called) is introduced, hopefully sometime soon. That might put even more downward pressure on the K-30's price, so you could get it pretty cheap on a closeout deal. It's already really low for a body-only.
06-06-2013, 01:29 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

I would suggest the k-30. It's price is significantly lower than the remaining available k-5 cameras, and it is almost as much a step-up from the k-x as the k-5 would be.

The only things the k-5 would have going for it are:
1) Quieter shutter
2) Top LCD panel
3) Battery grip option
4) Better burst rate

Beyond those 4 items, the k-30 is on par with the k-5. If you do not require any of the above 4, then I would say the choice is simple.

06-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank's guys I will see what the K-50 does with the price on the K-30 and will take the plunge to the K-30.
06-06-2013, 01:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fatdaz Quote
Thank's guys I will see what the K-50 does with the price on the K-30 and will take the plunge to the K-30.
I'm in the same boat and plan to do the same. If the leaked photos of K-50 are true, then I prefer K-30 styling. It's more sportier and aggressive. I don't really care about stereo mic as I'm not much into video.
06-07-2013, 12:50 PM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RonakG Quote
I'm in the same boat and plan to do the same. If the leaked photos of K-50 are true, then I prefer K-30 styling. It's more sportier and aggressive. I don't really care about stereo mic as I'm not much into video.
I'm thinking of upgrading my K-x as well, and really couldn't care less about the styling of the camera. I'm not buying it to look at, I'm buying it to take pics...
06-07-2013, 01:10 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
with the introduction of k-50 and (if) k-30 is not discontinued, then it is the first time in the Pentax offering that the two models have a very close and similar specifications. I hope they still keep the k-30 production going. For years, the Canon offering is very much confusing with T2i, T3i, T4i and now T5i and also throw in the model without "i", it is Pentax turn to give potential buyers two options with similar spec but different body styling.