Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2007, 05:06 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
what about a great compact camera from Pentax???

I am currently using extensively my *ist DS. However, there are some times I am not able to curry the camera with me. For example I cannot carry it when I am having a relaxing ride on my bicycle or when I have a short boating on the sea or on a lake… I know it sounds extreme, but really there are some times where you don’t want to curry a big and heavy camera but also don’t wand to miss the opportunity to capture some nice photos that might come up, using quality gear. So here is my thought:

I would be thrilled if Pentax could release a compact camera with APCs sensor with 8MP, including weather sealing, SR (not necessarily if that would increase dramatically the size/weight/value), only the programs Av, Sv and M, spot and center weight metering and an excellent SMC ghostless AL prime lens somewhere between 22mm and 35mm with <=F3 that allows MF and it would be as close as it can get to pancake size. It should have hot shoe with no built in flash to save volume and of course RAW files… It should be as compact as it can get, with a retro style and as cheap as they can offer it…. Now I don’t really care if that would be an SLR or not as long as their decision would not involve any further quality compromises. Also it could have a well built, strong and as lightweight body as it can get (at least it should fit in a jacket’s pocket)… After all I think Pentax does have the “know how” so I don’t believe that would be a problem for them…

I was wondering if a Pentax compact camera such as that one would be a hot product. Well what do you think?

Christos

Last edited by celetron; 01-12-2007 at 07:08 AM.
01-12-2007, 06:08 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Take a look at these, surely these will suffice until the ultimate compact imaging machine is produced..........

or maybe you should get in touch with NASA.......

Pentax Imaging: Optio A20 - Optio Point & Shoot - Digital - Cameras by Pentax

Pentax Imaging: Optio W20 - Optio Point & Shoot - Digital - Cameras by Pentax
01-12-2007, 06:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alfie1965 Quote
Take a look at these, surely these will suffice until the ultimate compact imaging machine is produced..........

or maybe you should get in touch with NASA.......

Pentax Imaging: Optio A20 - Optio Point & Shoot - Digital - Cameras by Pentax

Pentax Imaging: Optio W20 - Optio Point & Shoot - Digital - Cameras by Pentax
I am aware of these cameras, but they both do not allow manual focus, they do not have APCs sensor, they have not such a quality lens etc etc.

Why do you think I should get in touch with NASA? Pentax already have launched 3 excellent pancakes. I wouldn't mind to curry a compact camera with one such lens on it. Additionally, a body with no mirror etc would suggest less volume. I am not talking about an ultra compact camera or a slim card like one. I just wish to have a QUALITY compact that fits in my jacket’s pocket...

Christos

Houston ... We have a problem...
01-12-2007, 06:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You mean something like this:
Sigma DP1 hands-on

01-12-2007, 07:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Sigma DP1 hands-on
Yes that is very close to what I was thinking but sigma doesn't seem to be able to build such lenses as pentax do nor DP1 is retro or weather proof, the lens is very wide etc etc... Oh and it is not a pentax one...

Christos

Last edited by celetron; 01-12-2007 at 07:10 AM.
01-12-2007, 09:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Heh heh, maybe HOYA-TOKINA will produce one to compete with the Sigma

Last edited by Nesster; 01-12-2007 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Tokina not tamron
01-12-2007, 11:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I would love a Pentax version of the DP1, with a 40mm equiv lens.. Hell the Sigma would do but the lens is just too wide for a walk around for me..
01-13-2007, 12:23 AM   #8

What about something akin to a digital version of the Leica rangefinder series, collapsible lens and all?

01-13-2007, 01:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rolly Quote
What about something akin to a digital version of the Leica rangefinder series, collapsible lens and all?
Yes that would be nice but Leica series is quite expensive one... I was thinking a price somewhere between $500 and $700...
01-13-2007, 04:55 AM   #10

Heh heh, maybe HOYA-TOKINA will produce one to compete with the Sigma
Or maybe Hoya-Pentax?
01-17-2007, 09:37 AM   #11

Sigma DP1 hands-on
It can bee a nice one but it hasīnt a viewfinder.