Time & Aperture (TAv) 4014.39%
Manual (M) 5519.78%
User 20.72%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine is a mix. At weddings, the Everything up to the reception is usually AV and everything at the reception (and some of the detail shots) are manual. I like the control of manual when I am using my flash. Most of my personal stuff is shot on AV because it is faster.

06-09-2013, 07:56 PM   #62
Veteran Member

I have my camera (K-5IIs) set on "P" mode as a default, but with one caveat. I have the program line set to MTF.

My reason for this is that I do 99% of my shooting at home on my property. There isn't a day that goes by where some sort of wildlife comes around on the lawn, in the field, or on the water. So when I spot something from inside the house, I can grab the camera quickly and be ready to fire at a seconds notice. From there it is so easy to use the control dials to adjust if needed and have the time.

When using a long lens on a tripod (pre-meditated shooting) I will use either aV or TaV depending on the lens, light conditions, and motion of what I am shooting.

When using any type of flash (always off camera) will always be in manual.

It is so nice to have all these choices, and be able to change certain parameters on the fly with the control wheels.
06-09-2013, 08:14 PM   #63
Site Supporter

I voted Av, but truth be known, I do quite a bit in M mode too. It all depends on whether I am using any of my vintage lenses without "A" contacts. It also depends on the kind of shooting I am doing. For snapshots, it is P mode all the way.

Steve
06-09-2013, 11:10 PM   #64

Photos: Gallery
Av most of the time, TAv for sports and manual if the lens need it..

06-10-2013, 12:09 AM   #65
Veteran Member

The first thing that I loved about my K30 was this fact that even when I'm in P mode, I can force my gear to use my preferred shutter speed or aperture(without switching to other modes) easily by rotating front or rear dial. So in general I use P mode and use EV compensation whenever I think I need more or less light, And I change Aperture/Shutter speed in P mode, when I need to. So I can focus on focus and composition of shot. So, I think that's not P nor Av nor Tv mode at all )
But in hard situations I prefer M mode to have full control, of course.
BTW, recently I found myself adjusting specific ISO to have better control of noise
06-10-2013, 02:05 AM   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by v5planet Quote
why Av-only
Special circumstances -
-very small birds in low light shaded conditions with slow long tripod mounted glass so for all practical purposes my long glass is fixed aperture. Shooting this way my only variable is ISO.
For conventional hand-held shooting at 300mm or less - TAv.
06-10-2013, 08:32 AM   #67
Veteran Member

On my K5ii, M 99.9% of the time and I recently started experimenting with USER modes. Although both of my USER presets use M as well.

On my K-01 I use P almost exclusively and occasionally use M.
06-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #68
Forum Member

It's a bit of a split between M and Av on my K-r. M is probably 80% right now, just for the control. I've got fast kids, though, and Av keeps up better than my thumb in rapidly changing light as they run around my house.

06-11-2013, 01:01 AM   #69
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Reading this thread has been very edifying and, as a result of what I learned here, I decided to set my rear dial on my K-5 to Aperture (as I use Av mostly), and my front dial to exposure compensation. I had previously used the front wheel to change aperture, as that's the way it was on my D800. So, I decided to change my D800 to match my K-5. Wow, was that unintuitive! There's far fewer ways to customise the controls dials on my Nikon, and I couldn't put exposure compensation on the dials at all (at least, I didn't figure out how to do it). The more I learn about my K-5, the more I realise just how much thought Pentax have put into the controls and ergonomics of their cameras. Pentax, you have soul!
06-14-2013, 08:11 AM   #70

Photos: Albums
I guess I am unique - I almost always use Tv, else Manual. If I ever get a fixed aperture lens I will try Av
06-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #71
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I did expect there to be more Av users than anything else. But the TAV, M, and P mode users seems to be pretty even with each other, which I didn't expect. I expected more TAv users than M or P. In fact I kind of expected AV - TAV - M - TV - P to be the result order.
06-14-2013, 06:49 PM   #72
Pentaxian

I'm nowadays close to 100% M. Use to shoot critters with AV, but got frustrated by the metering system letting me down one time too many. I use the green button to get into the neighborhood and then I just guess the exposure. I check the histogram to verify. My guesses are right or close to right much of the time — or at least have a better success rate than the metering system.
06-16-2013, 01:05 PM   #73
Site Supporter

Pentax could borrow Perl's motto: "There's more than one way to do it!"

I prefer AV most of the time (EV comp on the front wheel), and TAV in low light or when shooting hand-held with long lenses.
06-16-2013, 02:28 PM   #74

M

I learned to use the exposure meter in my film camera years ago, and when I got my first digital camera I found that often I could not trust it to always choose the correct settings in all lighting situations. I've gotten pretty good at guessing the settings that are close according to the lighting, and then I go form there.
06-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #75

Wow, I didn't expect Aperture Priority to be the most popular setting. I use Manual almost always, but for the opposite reason most people use it: I don't know what the camera is thinking when I use Av or Tv, so I'd rather set all 3 parameters myself. For me it's a faster thought process than use Av/Tv, snap, chimp, shoot again if it's not what I had in mind.

And when I absolutely must get the shot in a split second and the camera is off and not in my hand, I'll use the Full Auto-No Flash mode -kinda for emergency situations only.
And then Av, Tv, etc. I don't think I really use those, although I know how they work, I just don't trust them much I guess.