Time & Aperture (TAv) 4014.39%
Manual (M) 5519.78%
User 20.72%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2014, 10:11 AM   #106
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
... The AF on the shutter half press is always turned off with the AF button used for focus.
Thanks for the reminder that I need to practice with that setting. It sounds very useful for focus and recompose, for alternating between quick-shift manual focus and AF without needing the AF/MF switch, and for simulating AF-S while in AF-C mode. I foresee many stupid cat photos tonight after I change my settings.

01-16-2014, 10:47 AM   #107
Pentaxian

I shoot two modes and I'd say it's about 60/40 Manual over TaV.

But each mode is for a specialized purpose. I shoot Landscapes (Manual) and Wildlife (TaV)

It really depends on my subject of the hour and sometimes, I'm switching in mid-shoot as a critter wanders into my landscape or some scenery catches my eye while looking for critters.

I shoot Manual for landscapes because I shoot to my histogram, and until some camera software is actually smart enough to "shoot right" without overexposing, I'll have to play with 1/3 stop Manual Bracketing.

TaV is close to Manual, the camera only gets to pick the ISO. I think for wildlife, it's really the only reasonable option.

A final note, I tried that "disabling half press focus" technique this past weekend, and abandoned it within 30 minutes. I had way too many problems getting proper exposure (in TaV), and found I was spending too much time fiddling with the menus rather than taking pictures (do I disable AE lock with exposure? if not, why wasn't I getting proper ISO adjustments? do I use the AE-L button? the green button? it just got frustrating real fast). I guess after 8 years of using the half press method, I developed some instinctive manual dexterity "workarounds". I can see the advantage, it makes the transition form manual focusing to AF and back much easier, but I'm not sure I want to rely on my focusing skills for wildlife. It's why I bought a DSLR in the first place, so I could use AF. I'd still be using my FF K1000 if I wanted to do everything in manual.
01-16-2014, 11:49 AM   #108
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm mostly an Av person; steady objects don't require much attention to shutterspeed But I use M and TAv as well if I think it's more appropriate.
01-16-2014, 12:22 PM   #109
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My most-used lenses are manual lenses (a Pentax M and a Takumar Bayonet), so there's really no choice for me: it's M all the way.

Coupled with focusing at the hyperfocal distance, and improving my eye for exposure settings, it has enabled much faster shooting, as all I need to do is point and shoot.

01-16-2014, 03:27 PM   #110
Veteran Member

Mostly AperturePriority, ISO 100, NR off, (SR off on tripod.)
01-17-2014, 07:53 AM   #111
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
I shoot two modes and I'd say it's about 60/40 Manual over TaV.

A final note, I tried that "disabling half press focus" technique this past weekend, and abandoned it within 30 minutes. I had way too many problems getting proper exposure (in TaV), and found I was spending too much time fiddling with the menus rather than taking pictures (do I disable AE lock with exposure? if not, why wasn't I getting proper ISO adjustments? do I use the AE-L button? the green button? it just got frustrating real fast). I guess after 8 years of using the half press method,
It shouldn't make any difference to the exposure if you have the settings right.

Check these:
Focus mode AF.C Sel.4
(continuous focus, manually selectable focus point with expanded area tracking)

In the 'C' menu:
1.4 AE-L with AF locked - 1:Off
1.5 Link Exposure and focus point - 1ff
3.16 1st frame action in AF.c 1:Release priority (though I'm having some second thoughts on this)
3.17 Action in AF.C continuous 1:Focus priority

What may be causing you the exposure problem might be C1.4 and C1.5, Other than that I don;t think there's any way it could affect exposure.
I always leave the the intital focus point at the centre.

It is a bit of a barrier to 'unlearn' the shutter half press but once you overcome that I don't really see any disadvantage in using it with the K-3, only advantages. The buttons are in my opinion perfectly placed to allow your thumb to control the rear dial, AF and AE with only the slightest movment of the thumb.
01-19-2014, 12:42 PM   #112
Pentaxian

I mostly shoot in Av and auto white balance and that's where I leave my camera set. Next up will be M. That's because I have a good collection of manual glass and that's where it works although Taks will work in Av. I have used TAV on occasion, mostly for sports shooting and low light where I need to be concerned about motion blur. There are a lot of buttons and features that I never use. I suppose it's nice to have them available if I need them but like a lot of folks, I'm set in my ways a bit. My meter is set for center weighted metering.

I really had a good laugh reading one of Joe McNally's books recently. He mentioned he always shoots in Av and AWB and is afraid to change anything because he forgets to change it back and then freaks out with his next shots because he thinks the camera is broke.
01-20-2014, 03:03 PM   #113
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I really had a good laugh reading one of Joe McNally's books recently. He mentioned he always shoots in Av and AWB and is afraid to change anything because he forgets to change it back and then freaks out with his next shots because he thinks the camera is broke.
LOL! I have to use the company D80 at work, and I always use it in AV (well, "A" on that camera's selection dial). Most of the work is fairly tight macro or at least close-up, in strange lighting, so the camera gets mounted on a tripod and I enable the shutter delay function. But I'm not the only one who uses the camera...occasionally someone else on staff drags it out for something and nearly every time, I hear "I tried to photograph X yesterday, and I think something is wrong with the camera..." Because it wasn't set for full auto, nobody has a clue how to use it. (makes me look like a wiz, though...)

Fortunately nobody mucks with my Pentax.

01-20-2014, 04:27 PM   #114
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I just noticed that people put too much emphasis on exposure mode and that anything other than M is a joke.
01-20-2014, 06:19 PM - 1 Like   #115
Pentaxian

The best exposure mode is the one that works best for you, not somebody else. Each mode has it's value for certain shots.
01-20-2014, 06:28 PM   #116
Loyal Site Supporter

If you look at my lens list you will understand why I spend most of my time shooting in M Mode with a fixed ISO (I alter ISO with the dedicated button when necessary). For DA and FA lenses I usually use P mode and on the rare occasions when I'm shooting fast-moving subject Sv.