Time & Aperture (TAv) 4014.39%
Manual (M) 5519.78%
User 20.72%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for starting this thread... I'm learning a lot!

Edit: I should say, I've used TAV mode for 95% of my shooting, but the K30 is so flexible with assigning different functions to the dials, I'll try AV for a while with the back dial set to ISO. I learned a lot about hyper program, and I was never really sure what that was... maybe I'll try P a while too!

Last edited by jcdoss; 06-08-2013 at 03:52 PM.
06-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Thanks for starting this thread... I'm learning a lot!

Edit: I should say, I've used TAV mode for 95% of my shooting, but the K30 is so flexible with assigning different functions to the dials, I'll try AV for a while with the back dial set to ISO. I learned a lot about hyper program, and I was never really sure what that was... maybe I'll try P a while too!
Av with the aperture and iso on dial control is how I shot for years...it's how I'm teaching my niece too. I think that's probably one of the best ways to shoot without going full manual control.
06-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #48

Photos: Gallery
I started with Av ( film and digital), now I almost exclusively shoot M. I've never used any other mode on my K5iis ( besides bulb for light painting and rarely X sync)
06-08-2013, 10:18 PM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
I learned with a K1000 and old habits are hard to break ... J
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
I don't trust the computers is all there is too it. I learned on an MX, so full manual is just how I learned how to do things. I know i could just shootin in Av and use exposure compensation, which I did for years, but I just feel more comfortable shooting full manual.
So do you guys ignore meter all together? Or you still look at exposure offset shown in viewfinder?

06-08-2013, 10:28 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
So do you guys ignore meter all together? Or you still look at exposure offset shown in viewfinder?
no, the meter is still used. what I don't trust is that the computer is going to make the right decision for shutter speed if I'm shooting in Av.

ie: I was shooting today in Av, for the most part I was happy with the exposures. But a few images it exposed for the sky instead of the person I was photographing. If I was on manual, I would have known that. The minute I switched to manual I saw what was happening, adjusted, and all was happy again. And since the light wasn't changing very fast, I could pretty much keep my settings where they were without the camera thinking something different...like maybe it should bet at 1/160 instead of 1/250 like I wanted it to be.

I also set for spot meter and focus.

The more I shoot manual, the more I can pre-judge a scene on what settings I want. ie, today again today at the park. I knew that to get the shot I wanted, f2.8, iso 100, and 1/250" was going to get me pretty close to a proper exposure. Sure enough, checked my meter and my image review and I was pretty close. I then kept it like that and if I adjusted my aperture I just adjust iso or shutter as needed. Takes no time at all, and I'm in full control. I don't have to worry about the auto mode messing things up.
06-09-2013, 12:34 AM   #51
Veteran Member

TAv then M. Use M mostly for backlit scenes, or where there is a lot of sky. M can be tricky on days like today (bright sun with fast moving clouds) and moving subjects, although linking metering to focus point helps with this in auto modes. If it is really bright then I might use Av and set ISO to minimum. Don't use P or Sv modes really
06-09-2013, 03:14 AM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
I'm kind of like what wired wrote above ... and I still use the meter and offset ... J

06-09-2013, 03:54 AM   #53
Inactive Account

TAv mode is fantastic! However my K7 has a dickey rear wheel so I use P more so if I miss I can quickly hit Green button to get a shot off. Its all about speed though.
On my film camera I manual everything and shoot B&W aswell just to take my time ans savoir the frames.
06-09-2013, 04:28 AM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

90% TAv, 10% M. I don't even understand P.
06-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #55
MSM
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohntheThird Quote
Trying them all. Complicated light situations Av or TAv or M. Sports and tele mostly Tv.

I have just discovered P, but not used it much. Could be usefull mode covering it all, but then you miss a dial for EV.
Actually, in P mode you can adjust how the E dials are set (if you have two dials)
I have the rear dial set to program shift and front dial to ev comp. ISO set to auto (max 3200) ISO priority to 'fast' which seems to set the minimum shutter speed to (1/FL*1.5 + 1 stop)- meaning the shutter won't go slower unless the ISO is maxed. I set the green button to MTF. That is what I am going with for now.

On my K5, I have been experimenting to see which mode works best for me. I have used them all including Sv mode. I have used Tav, Av mode the most and M for off camera flash. I am now going to try P mode to see if I like it better. The K5 is so flexible you can get to your desired exposure in many ways.

BTW I love these threads. I enjoy seeing how others think and set their cameras up. I sometimes give it a try and see if there is a better way.
06-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
A recent comment in another thread really got me thinking... what is your most used mode lately on your DSLR(s). There seems to be a a soft consensus that the full manual shooter is a dying breed, and that the priority mode shooter is the most common. I really don't care how someone else uses their camera, as long as they enjoy their gear and their images that's all that matters at the end of the day. But i thought it would be interesting to put this poll together to see how everyone shoots.

If you want to, add on why you choose that mode as well. And this is your most used mode.

I myself am a manual shooter. The only things I let the camera decide are focus and white balance. Depending on the situation I'll even manually set white balance. Myself personally, I like being in full control. Even my flash guns are set to full manual (to be honest I have no idea how to use them any other way).

what say you>
I use TAV the most on the K-30, and M with my Rokinon 85mm.
06-09-2013, 04:15 PM   #57
Forum Member

The more you use tav, the more you will like it. The way I see it, you sometimes need t, sometimes need a, sometimes both. To get the best exposure, need to let film speed be the variable. That's what digital has over film.
06-09-2013, 05:07 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Above 300m - Av
Below -TAv
06-09-2013, 06:43 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Above 300m - Av
Below -TAv
wildman, I've just purchased a 300mm lens -- why Av-only at that length?
06-09-2013, 07:00 PM   #60

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Normally I usually shoot in P mode. Today I shot mostly in Manual and it wasn't as scary as I thought it would be. For the most part I did well and when I missed it it was because I was trigger happy and pressed the shutter before I was ready (while composing) not because I thought I had it.