Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2008, 10:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
initial K20d use - thumbs up

For those following at home, I briefly flirted with a K10d a few weeks back. I tried a couple of lenses (a very soft/fuzzy 16-50* that I returned quickly, decent 18-55 kit, and 100 macro), but ended up returning it as in my hands, I was getting "better" shots out of my Leica D-Lux-3. Fast forward to playing with an E3, D300 and K20d the other day, today I decided that the Oly just didn't feel right (despite the almost perfect 12-60 lens), and the Nikon wasn't user friendly (to me). Plus I've always been more for the underdog/quirky product that has character. Plus the Ui/ergonomics on the Pentax are just right imho. So the K20d came home along with a 16-45 lens.

I did some of my usual testing shots that I "know" and let the camera work up to iso 1600. I'm happy to report that I am very satisfied with the early results. No AF problems even in very low light indoors. Under bad conditions I think it hunts less than my old D70. It seems to get exposure and WB "right" without intervention, although it isn't perfect. I have yet to find a camera that is though especially with the weird shots I tend to take. The 16-45 is everything that people said. I'll likely get some limited primes once I figure what lengths work for me. I think I'm going to go pick up the 50-135* though, as I was impressed with that in the store, and want to experiment at longer throws, in part to figure out exactly which primes I want.

Short story is if you're looking to get into Pentax, I have no reservations with this system. If you are looking to upgrade from K100d, I'd bypass the K10d and get the K20d unless you are really strapped for cash. To my eyes the new chip and tweaks are worth the price of admission. But ymmv.

03-14-2008, 09:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
For those following at home, I briefly flirted with a K10d a few weeks back. I tried a couple of lenses (a very soft/fuzzy 16-50* that I returned quickly, decent 18-55 kit, and 100 macro), but ended up returning it as in my hands, I was getting "better" shots out of my Leica D-Lux-3. Fast forward to playing with an E3, D300 and K20d the other day, today I decided that the Oly just didn't feel right (despite the almost perfect 12-60 lens), and the Nikon wasn't user friendly (to me). Plus I've always been more for the underdog/quirky product that has character. Plus the Ui/ergonomics on the Pentax are just right imho. So the K20d came home along with a 16-45 lens.

I did some of my usual testing shots that I "know" and let the camera work up to iso 1600. I'm happy to report that I am very satisfied with the early results. No AF problems even in very low light indoors. Under bad conditions I think it hunts less than my old D70. It seems to get exposure and WB "right" without intervention, although it isn't perfect. I have yet to find a camera that is though especially with the weird shots I tend to take. The 16-45 is everything that people said. I'll likely get some limited primes once I figure what lengths work for me. I think I'm going to go pick up the 50-135* though, as I was impressed with that in the store, and want to experiment at longer throws, in part to figure out exactly which primes I want.

Short story is if you're looking to get into Pentax, I have no reservations with this system. If you are looking to upgrade from K100d, I'd bypass the K10d and get the K20d unless you are really strapped for cash. To my eyes the new chip and tweaks are worth the price of admission. But ymmv.
Congrate! Good post. Glad to see you went with the 16-45 instead of the 16-50. I'm still not sure about the K20D since I have the K10D. As a new buyer into the system the extra cost may be worth it. Hope you pick up one or two K, M, or A series lenses and give them a go. Have fun.

Regards,

Ken
03-14-2008, 10:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
an A series 50/1.4 or 1.7 is on my list for shooting indoor. I'd love to get a 31 and 70 ltd, but not sure that those focal lengths are going to resonate with me yet. I am already finding 45 to be too short for some of the shots I want.

I do love the ergos and layout on this camera though. That is a highly underrated criteria in most reviews. Sites tend to focus on numbers and test shots and not how the thing actually works with or against you. The best resolution/noise/etc doesn't mean a damn if you don't want to touch the thing.