Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2008, 08:39 PM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
As to those 45 degree tests being conducted at closeup distance, I myself are not fond of them and there are better ways to test AF accuracy. But if one must use them, at least give enough buffer area instead of assuming what the camera might see.
You're right that the AF sensor area is huge! The center sensor appears to cover as much area as the split focus ring of the Katz Eye.

03-25-2008, 12:05 PM   #32

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Christine, you can find out the manufacture date, revision number and shutter count using PhotoME software which is a free download (use Google). Simply take a picture using the camera and then open the JPEG file, all the information about the image and the camera are displayed.

If the K10D is discontinued at the end of 07, then mine is probably close to the last few batches in the production process (last production date is probably Dec-07). Hopefully, the FF/BF problems showing up in the early production would have been corrected - keeping my fingers crossed (I tried the test using the Tim jackson focus chart and the result seems to be consistent with what I expected unless my test methodology was inaccurate).
Thats an interesting thought aleonx3, after reading this thread I downloaded PhotoME and checked my K10D to find it was manufactured in November 2007 (purchased in January 2008) and it has a revision of 2.1 Has anyone on this forum compared cameras known to have the problem with production dates or revision numbers?? I haven't noticed an issue yet with my photos but also its not something I've gone looking for.

Regards
Brian
03-25-2008, 03:00 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The camera that I sent in was manufactured oct 2006. Its revision was 1.1. My second camera that I bought used a month ago has a manufacture date of sept. 2007, and a revision number of 8.1. I just recieved my camera back from Pentax today so I will be posting the results of my repair.
03-28-2008, 02:38 PM   #34
SouthShoreRob

Like reknelb, mine proved to be an early unit as well (12/06). Just got it back from Pentax and am about to put it through the paces. Interestingly, this is what the chit says: "mirror mech repaired, cleaned and adjusted" plus "bottom cover replaced" "auto focus sys adjusted". All under warranty!

03-28-2008, 09:03 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
And to think I was hoping I would be one of the few this month sending my camera in for BF/FF issues, lol.

I just sent mine in last week, with delivery confirmation just to be sure (arrived Monday 24th). Now all I have to do is wait (UGH!).

Counting the days and facing the prospect of having to buy a second hand Pentax to get through an April shoot I just got called for - not fun!
04-24-2008, 11:27 AM   #36

Photos: Gallery
Ok, I've read a bunch of these posts, and now I'm confused. I have the 3 pancakes, 21, 40, and 70. I noticed recently that when I was shooting wide open the focus was behind, so I did my own little tests. It seems the 70 is right on, the 40 focuses about 10mm behind the attempted focus point, and the 21 is a good 20 -30mm behind. These are all at largest aperture. So would adjusting it so the 21 is correct then put the 70 out? By these posts I get the impression that it is a camera problem, but why would a longer lens be better?
Is the only thing to do send it in and have Pentax adjust it?
I bought my camera in Nov. 2006, so it's an early one.