Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2008, 07:53 AM   #1

K100d 'snow' setting question

I'm a novice. when I try take pics in 5-scene snow setting, in bright sunlight the flash pops up. using 18-55 kit lens. This doesn't seem right , any ideas or comments?

03-14-2008, 08:52 AM   #2
Inactive Account

kevin, it's likely the snow setting pops the flash to better illuminate any subjects close to the camera, so the background (white snow) doesn't overwhelm the subject. i have the k10d so i can't be too sure. with the k10d you'd generally put it in center spot metering mode to make sure you subject was properly exposed... which would probably over-expose the background quite a bit

anyways, if anyone else has any other thoughts, let us know... i'm by no means a pro!
03-14-2008, 10:15 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinfox203 Quote
I'm a novice. when I try take pics in 5-scene snow setting, in bright sunlight the flash pops up. using 18-55 kit lens. This doesn't seem right , any ideas or comments?
I am by no means a pro either but I live in the snowy parts of northern Sweden so I am familiar with taking pictures in snow.

The fact is that a shining sun creates very heavy shadows that the eye can handle but not always the camera. I you want to take a backlit portrait for example you are sure to get the face too dark, sometimes even if you make a spot measuring with your camera.
Better then to use the flash to lighten up those shadows - the result is often very good.

Some cameras (including my K100 super) makes that decision by itself and I am glad for it - I sometimes forget it!

Kjell
in the north of Sweden - just now with 70 cm of snow
03-14-2008, 10:59 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for your insight Mitch & Kjell. do i read you right that this is the camera doing a good job rather than my intitial thought that it was malfunctioning?

Last edited by kevinfox203; 03-14-2008 at 11:14 AM.
03-14-2008, 12:38 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinfox203 Quote
Thanks for your insight Mitch & Kjell. do i read you right that this is the camera doing a good job rather than my intitial thought that it was malfunctioning?
Yes, you could say that the camera i doing its job but it really is the Pentax people programming it

I have owned both Canon, Nikon and Olympus DSLRs but I must say that my (rather cheap) K100D Super is the most intelligent one and gives me the best pictures without my interference. Combined with my Tamron 28-75 I get results I have seldom seen before.

/Kjell
03-14-2008, 03:53 PM   #6

Original Poster
Funny you mention the Tamron 28-75, I am almost committed to making it my first lens purchase. I was very close to buying the 50mm 1.4 ( highly recommended here ) but it seems to be more suited to indoor/low light shots and my main need is outdoor shots of dogs in action. here is a link to my first photo post on the forum. do you think the Tamron would be a suitable choice for this type of shot? .......
"newbie's first post"
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/14351-your-pet-day-post-up-31.html
03-15-2008, 01:29 AM   #7

Nice shot, but here the camera made a mistake - I take it you didnīt adjust anything, but used multi-pattern in auto mode, right?

Even though the camera is smart, this time it has been fooled by the background and exposed so the trees are pretty accurate but the dog and especially the snow is too bright and blown out.

You can solve this in a few different ways.
If you shoot RAW a lot of information is still left in the bright areas in a shot like this and can be “saved” when you process the image. If you shoot JGP that information is likely to be lost.

Another way to get it right is to change the metering to spot or use AFL on the dog before taking the picture - what you do then is to tell the camera what you regard as most important in you motive. That would make the trees darker but thatīs not so important, is it?

You can also try to use exposure compensation and here the rule is to give the sensor more light in a motive like yours. So + 0.3 or even more can make all the difference.

In an action shot like this you might even want to prepare the camera in advance using manual mode to fit the light.

I would think that the Tamron is a good choise even for action shots - I donīt take many myself, though. Some reviewers have complained about the autofocus beeing a bit slow, so I suggest you try it before buying.

/Kjell

Last edited by fullkoll; 03-15-2008 at 01:58 AM.