Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2008, 07:33 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NYpHoToGraphEr Quote
Well with my k100d it's really starting to get annoying.
The rechargeable batteries are not working for more then
30 min now. There Impact batteries 2900mAh. Yesterday during
the parade they died on me not too long after it started, I had
bought 99 cent batteries earlier just in case and they didn't even
turn on.
NYP,

I'm surprised to hear this. I use Energizer's for my older K100D and for the flashes and have been doing so with no decernable drop in output. I have 7 imact rechargables for the K10's and 6 of them are Impact brand or cheaper and none of them has shown any degradation either.

One of the problems with rechargables is that if you get sloppy (not saying you did ) is that if they are not fully charged in the beginning (usually twice for a full charge) they will never reach maximum capacity ever. If full charging is not done thereafter the batery will not ever recover and always output a fraction of it's potential.

Remember also that these batteries drop 1% of their power per day from a full charge. So, if you charge and don't use the battery in a month your output will be roughly 1/3 less.

Stephen

03-18-2008, 08:13 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I had
turn on.
That's the point. Cheap AA batteries are bad. You better buy expensive Eneloops or lithiums.

With LiOn though, there aren't big differences between brands, all working on the same chemistry.

Brand manufacturers now abuse your learnt "fact" (cheap battery = bad battery) and make you pay fortunes. Buy Pentax batteries only if you want to support them making a K2D soon

This is also why Pentax "makes" LiOn but no AA
03-18-2008, 08:26 AM   #18

I bought two of the Impact brand from B&H and have had no problems in 15 months and see no difference in use.
03-18-2008, 05:29 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well with my k100d it's really starting to get annoying.
The rechargeable batteries are not working for more then
30 min now. There Impact batteries 2900mAh. Yesterday during
the parade they died on me not too long after it started, I had
turn on.
I have the same problem with about 20 Impacts from B&H. At first they were fine but before long I could get anywhere from zero-30 minutes. By zero, I mean I remove them from the charger and the camera comes up with the empty battery symbol. I now use them in my Fuji S5200 P&S where they work fine. My wife's istD seems to work well with the Impacts. The K1x0D are less tolerant of low battery voltage.

I bought a dozen Sanyo Eneloops per advice on this Forum and so far so good. I used the K100D for a 5 hour, "Dog photos with the Easter Bunny", turning off during the longer gaps, and did not need to swap cells. But, neither did my wife with her istD with Impacts.

Batteries are a problem, I just carry spares and keep on shooting. There are always Alkalizes in the car if both sets of rechargeables fail. Can't do that with some cameras.

03-18-2008, 09:33 PM   #20
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been waiting for another one of these threads to surface, to share what I've experienced lately...

Here's my experience with the Pentax K10D batteries. Before leaving on my vacation last year I bought 6:
- 2 Impact branded batteries
- 2 CTA branded batteries
- 2 Pentax branded batteries costing a lot more than the others

I've had them for 7 months at this time now. I never measured discharge time. But what has become evident these past few months after slowing down in my camera usage and thus battery re-charge frequency is...

1) The Pentax branded batteries do not fall victim to leakage discharge over the course of over a month. If I charge them and put them in my bag for a month+, then take them out and put them back into the charger to "top them off", the charger immediately turns off, detecting a full charge in the battery.

2) The Impact and CTA batteries both suffer from leakage discharge. Doing the same with the Impact and CTA batteries will result in the charger going through a typical re-charge cycle to top the batteries back up.

3) One of the CTA batteries completely died. Won't charge. No juice in it, and putting it into the charger has no effect; the charger remains off. Junk now; hardly a very light paper weight.

4) Strictly subjective as I never did any objective measurement, but I believe the Pentax batteries will give me more time/shots/reviews from a full charge. You can hold me to #1 - #3, but don't hold me to #4 yet.

So just based on #1 - #3, proof positive to me that "you get what you pay for..." in this regard at least.
03-18-2008, 11:22 PM   #21
Inactive Account

You can make any of them hold a charge longer... Store them in the refrigerator... Do a google on it, lots of info on this out there on the how and why.