Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2013, 10:04 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
Well, I would be pressing the shutter whole day if that would trigger the lucious sound of a growling STI WRX boxer engine
Good heavens! 'ringtones' for cameras! THAT might force me to go back to my Kodak rangefinder and my Yashica TLR - the only remaining operational film cameras I have (I have several other cameras, but alas nobody makes film in the right size anymore).

06-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #17
Site Supporter

I once likened Pentax to RC Cola. A niche player in the soft drink market that has survived quite nicely for over a hundred years in a highly competitive industry because it understands and accepts it is a niche player, and doesn't try to compete head to head in the cola wars with Coke and Pepsi.
06-12-2013, 10:22 AM   #18

Shoot Different! I do not see Pentax as Linux. The Linux of the photo world would be the fine people over at APUG, pinhole and lomo photographers. A guy who takes a Graflex back and mates it with a 4x5 camera lens is the true Linux user in the photo world. Canon and Nikon are like Windows, if you want compatibility via the ability to rent lenses or borrow from friends and neighbors, then you need to go with these brands. Windows, Canon and Nikon are the safe choice. Pentax and Apple are for the people who understand their needs and specifically want the features they offer.

I got my first 35mm Pentax camera for my 13th birthday back in 1980 and later moved over to Contax. Just last year, I had all my cameras stolen from my house and could have used the insurance money to switch to Canon, Nikon or Sony. Frankly, I fully intended to switch. I no longer had any gear to hold me to Pentax but every camera in my price range kept getting compared to the K-5 iis. I tried hard to migrate to Canon but in the end, I went back to Pentax. The only reason I could come up with to switch was merely to join the club.