Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Looking for a Pentax Metaphor

I was thinking. (first problem eh?)

When new Pentax users come into the Pentax system, do they *really* know what they are getting into?
I mean, if a new user has some experience with Pentax or comes to Pentax from a friend, they kinda hear the stories and are prepped.

What about the folks that come to Pentax cold-turkey?
The assumptions of Pentax as a company must be like a cold shower if they compare Pentax to the likes of Canikony or Apple.

I mean Pentax marketing and communication as well as where to get things repaired and where to buy Pentax is so far removed from the mainstream.

The metaphor I can think of, is like being at a party and a new person walks in and is late to realize the social dynamic and they flail a little as they work their introductions.

What makes me think of this, are the new folks and their questions and their hopes for what Pentax might bring to the table with future releases.

I feel so jaded when I read some of the wishful thinking.

New people are great, and it's great to see newbies, but does anyone ever sit them down and tell them about Santa Claus?

So what is the metaphor for new folks coming into Pentax?

06-11-2013, 02:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you gonna get

To be more serious:
"Newbies" probably can`t tell the differences between systems and the majority of them is lured into Canon or Nikon anyway.
And I wonder how many of them become serious photog`s/hobbyists and run in to the limits of their gear?

I reckon that most people (esp. the converts) do some research before taking the plunge?
06-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
Pentax is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you gonna get

To be more serious:
"Newbies" probably can`t tell the differences between systems and the majority of them is lured into Canon or Nikon anyway.
And I wonder how many of them become serious photog`s/hobbyists and run in to the limits of their gear?

I reckon that most people (esp. the converts) do some research before taking the plunge?
True. I just wonder when I hear/read discussions going on where it's obvious the newbie folks are thinking Pentax will be as responsive as Canikony or Apple.

"Box of Chocolates?" Maybe, but with Pentax you don't know what you are going to get until after the box has been bought/opened!
06-11-2013, 05:10 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

When I was researching what DSLR I wanted and was leaning towards Pentax, I found this "metaphor" --which I rather liked--somewhere on these forums (paraphrased):

QuoteQuote:
If camera systems were like computer OS's, Canon/Nikon would be Windows and Pentax would be Linux.

06-11-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Great subject Lauren!

What first comes to my mind after reading johyates' quote -

Canon/Nikon are like Ford or Chevy - Pentax is more like Volkswagen. Vw is more "driver" driven.
06-11-2013, 05:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

In some ways it is similar to buying into any number of other products put out by manufacturers that aren't considered mainstream in their particular field, especially if you haven't done your homework first to familiarize yourself with their quirks.

I imagine that anybody buying into Volvo or SAAB before they were bought out by larger manufacturers (and eventually sold off or executed, respectively) would have had some similar feelings if they were to make comparisons to how larger manufacturers with larger sales volumes and support networks like Ford, GM, Toyota or Honda operated in the same time period. We had friends stay with us for a week in the late '80s when their Volvo broke down near our place on a road trip, the nearest dealer was several towns over, and nobody in the country had the necessary repair parts. If they drove a domestic the same age they could have bought whatever it was they needed off the shelf from the dealership or from several independent suppliers in town.

I have a paintball gun in the basement that is extremely well built and reliable, but because it came from a smaller manufacturer there was no Canadian support network to speak of and parts had to be ordered from the US, or bought at the single Canadian trade show the manufacturer visited each year. If I was using something mainstream I could have bought parts, accessories or a complete replacement from the hardware store down the street any time I wanted to.
06-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax advanced photography
06-11-2013, 08:00 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
When I was researching what DSLR I wanted and was leaning towards Pentax, I found this "metaphor" --which I rather liked--somewhere on these forums (paraphrased):
Good one!

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Great subject Lauren!

What first comes to my mind after reading johyates' quote -

Canon/Nikon are like Ford or Chevy - Pentax is more like Volkswagen. Vw is more "driver" driven.

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
In some ways it is similar to buying into any number of other products put out by manufacturers that aren't considered mainstream in their particular field, especially if you haven't done your homework first to familiarize yourself with their quirks.

I imagine that anybody buying into Volvo or SAAB before they were bought out by larger manufacturers (and eventually sold off or executed, respectively) would have had some similar feelings if they were to make comparisons to how larger manufacturers with larger sales volumes and support networks like Ford, GM, Toyota or Honda operated in the same time period. We had friends stay with us for a week in the late '80s when their Volvo broke down near our place on a road trip, the nearest dealer was several towns over, and nobody in the country had the necessary repair parts. If they drove a domestic the same age they could have bought whatever it was they needed off the shelf from the dealership or from several independent suppliers in town.

I have a paintball gun in the basement that is extremely well built and reliable, but because it came from a smaller manufacturer there was no Canadian support network to speak of and parts had to be ordered from the US, or bought at the single Canadian trade show the manufacturer visited each year. If I was using something mainstream I could have bought parts, accessories or a complete replacement from the hardware store down the street any time I wanted to.
So do they still drive Volvo? Do you still use the same Paintball gun?

06-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
Pentax advanced photography
Interesting, but a metaphor?
06-11-2013, 11:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
"Box of Chocolates?" Maybe, but with Pentax you don't know what you are going to get until after the box has been bought/opened!
Exactly, something like this:

Most flavors are very nice but not all

Last edited by TenZ.NL; 06-12-2013 at 12:02 AM.
06-12-2013, 07:56 AM   #11
Inactive Account

I would say that an approachable metaphor would be car brands. Canon/Nikon are like Toyota/Honda while Pentax is more like Subaru a little bit quirky and focused on serving a niche market, not exactly mainstream or famous from snob appeal but they still make great reliable cars.
06-12-2013, 08:16 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
I would say that an approachable metaphor would be car brands. Canon/Nikon are like Toyota/Honda while Pentax is more like Subaru a little bit quirky and focused on serving a niche market, not exactly mainstream or famous from snob appeal but they still make great reliable cars.
I remember when Hondas were sold out of motorcycle dealerships and *they* were the niche marque!

06-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
When I was researching what DSLR I wanted and was leaning towards Pentax, I found this "metaphor" --which I rather liked--somewhere on
these forums (paraphrased):
QuoteQuote:
If camera systems were like computer OS's, Canon/Nikon would be Windows and Pentax would be Linux.
I'd say Canon is more like Windows, Nikon more like OSX (their control of price policy and only authorized dealers, etc) and Pentax like *BSD. *BSD is more free than Linux (no viral EULA) and a much cleaner UNIX system that is not such a hodgepodge mix of inconsistent system structure. YMMV.
06-12-2013, 09:28 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
I imagine that anybody buying into Volvo or SAAB before they were bought out by larger manufacturers (and eventually sold off or executed, respectively) would have had some similar feelings if they were to make comparisons to how larger manufacturers with larger sales volumes and support networks like Ford, GM, Toyota or Honda operated in the same time period.
Hey, the best car I have EVER owned was a 1976 SAAB. I was mad as all hades when the driver of a Ford LTD didn't know how to drive on snow covered roads, lost control and smacked my car. My insurance company said 'totaled' and wouldn't negotiate. I spotted the car 3 years later all repaired and still going strong. But I digress. I know exactly what you mean. I had to drive between Detroit and Minneapolis without a clutch because a simple part wasn't available in the Detroit area. That I COULD drive a stick that distance without a clutch was testament as to the precision of the gearbox.

I see Pentax as in the same position as SAAB in the U.S. in the 70's. It is a solid product that is a bit different from the 'me too' stuff out there, that hasn't yet been discovered. SAAB went downhill once the yuppies discovered them and GM started investing. I hope Ricoh can avoid falling into that same trap.

Yep, I like 'Pentax, the Subaru of cameras'. Did I mention that my wife and I both drive Subaru's? Mine is a '99 and still running strong.
06-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Yep, I like 'Pentax, the Subaru of cameras'. Did I mention that my wife and I both drive Subaru's? Mine is a '99 and still running strong.
Well, I would be pressing the shutter whole day if that would trigger the lucious sound of a growling STI WRX boxer engine