Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2008, 01:32 PM   #1

I fell in love all over again...

I recently joined a local photo club, and last night was the first meeting I have been to. I wasn't at all surprised that I was the only one with a Pentax camera, and that 3/4 of the people had D3, D300 or D200, or that the other 1/4 shot big fat expensive Canons.

I had a chance to try out their equipment, and the class was on studio lighting. Part of the workshop was on Nikon speedlites, so I was able to watch these guys in action. What I found amusing was that half these people weren't sure how to set their sensitivity, or even what it was. A few of the more experienced guys were blown away that Pentax flashes had wireless capability, and some even a little jealous to learn that the baby FGZ 360 could not only be controlled by the other flashes, but could also control others (Nikon SB 800's can control other speedlites, but SB 600's can only act as slaves).

I also noticed after using the Nikons that my K10D was lighter, and imo 100 times more logically laid out. The newer cameras had impressive ISO performance... but so does the new K20D. The nicer HSM lenses were fast and quiet, but with the expanding Pentax DA* line, nothing we can't compete with. Speedlites can be set to different channels and their output controlled from the camera site... but the Pentax flashes could be as well if Pentax decides they want to build a controller similar to the Nikon one (and I don't see controlling output on the flash as that great a burden anyways).

Overall, I walked away more happy than ever with my purchase. Lighter, more intuitive design, and so very much more for your money. No matter how you slice it, with Pentax, the numbers are in your favor.

03-14-2008, 01:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by proudtoshootpentax Quote

I also noticed after using the Nikons that my K10D was lighter, and imo 100 times more logically laid out.
This ended up being one of the main deciding factors for me getting the K20d over the D300. For me, the ergonomics and layout on the Pentax are far better. Settings are very quick to change and make sense. I hate the playback zoom button on the D300...silly to hit a button over and over. SPinning the rear wheel makes more sense, and the fact that I can set the first click to any zoom level then cancel with the ok button makes for really quick review. And little things like the trough on the left side where the menu/trash/info buttons are...that indentation gives room for your nose when you're looking into the viewfinder.

To me the E3 was designed by committee (and by someone with really small fingers) and the D300 was designed by a gearhead. The key is to go actually hold each one and see what feels right. Numbers don't tell the story.
03-14-2008, 02:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
This ended up being one of the main deciding factors for me getting the K20d over the D300. For me, the ergonomics and layout on the Pentax are far better. Settings are very quick to change and make sense. I hate the playback zoom button on the D300...silly to hit a button over and over. SPinning the rear wheel makes more sense, and the fact that I can set the first click to any zoom level then cancel with the ok button makes for really quick review. And little things like the trough on the left side where the menu/trash/info buttons are...that indentation gives room for your nose when you're looking into the viewfinder.

To me the E3 was designed by committee (and by someone with really small fingers) and the D300 was designed by a gearhead. The key is to go actually hold each one and see what feels right. Numbers don't tell the story.
I second your opinion, I will pick the K10D or K20D anytime over the D300 or the 40D for that matter, the K10D just feel right in my hand - the size of the D300 or 40D are just too big for my liking even if it suits my needs. I bet the size of the Pentax would appeal to the Asian market as well. As for the E-3, my friend got one and I tried it a couple of times. It has good ergonomic design, quite small and feels quite solid. But perhaps I am more used to the K100/K10 and not comfortable with the layout of the buttons; Liveview is not practical (yet). Given that both K10D and D200 are still available at BHPhoto, I would choose the K10D anytime not just on price but on value. Good to know others feel the same.
03-15-2008, 03:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I also recently (January) joined a local photo club, my first time ever to take part in such an activity. I highly suspect that I am the only Pentax user, with most being Nikon people. Surprisingly, there was very little talk of cameras used.

There was a meeting yesterday, which I had been looking forward to greatly, but due to getting stuck in Yokohama for work I had to miss it. At the part of the meeting where we all put out some photos and then go around and select our favorite three of the bunch, I had planned to put out a couple taken with one of my absolute favorite cameras, a 1960 Meica 35 toy camera:

I was curious to see what sort of impression my $10 antique toy would make on the folks shooting with high dollar equipment.