Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2013, 04:03 PM   #1

I really don't have a clue

Been a Pentax fan since late 70ís when I got my K-100, moved up to a ME Super and also bought a ZX-M to use at work. I still have two ME Supers (one for parts) and the ZX-M. I have non-auto focus K mount lenses Iíd still like to use, some filters, plus the auto focus stock lens from the ZX-M. I would like to use this camera for photographing house renovation projects so the auto do everythingís are nice but not a requirement. My primary use for this camera is nature, both in color and B&W donít really care about action photography nor video features. Would like a thru the lens focus feature but do not know if that is possible without breaking the bank or if its ooold technology. So I need some educating about the right camera. Will the ZX-M stock auto focus lens work with the new digitals or am I better off to buy the camera with the lens? Big question, which camera is most like a ME Super? (cuts down on the learning curve a little) One other requirement, try to keep this under $ 700, been looking at the K30. Thanks for your help!

06-13-2013, 04:20 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All your lenses will work on a Pentax DSLR. The K-30 is a good choice (or the new K-50 or K-500). If you primarily use non-AF lenses you may want to spring for a focus screen designed for manual focus rather than the (brighter but harder to focus with) one which comes with the camera. But that you can decide later and you can manually focus with the K-30 out of the box.

Get the camera now and get familiar with it! Then you can consider the options.
06-13-2013, 04:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The sensor inside the digital camera are actually smaller as film, so it's like you cut the sides of off your film to a smaller size.
So your lenses will "feel" longer compared with film, 50mm is still 50mm but since you're using only the middle it will have a view/feel of a 75mm lens.

The magic number is 1.5

So if you like to shoot with 28mm you might want to invest in 18mm lens to have the same view on digital.
06-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
So if you like to shoot with 28mm you might want to invest in 18mm lens to have the same view on digital.
So when you buy the camera it is a good idea to get the kit lens (18-55) with it. That covers the wide end and you can use your older lenses to fill in the rest until you see what you like to shoot.

06-13-2013, 06:03 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I think it would probably be a good idea to get a kit lens - they are pretty cheap. That way you have a convenient option when you want to travel light and also something that is wide enough for landscape snaps. Ideally a WR lens so that you have a Weather Resistant option for bad weather / dusty environments (the body is WR but needs a WR lens or it will not be a sealed system).