Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2013, 06:23 PM   #1

WHAT DID I DO WRONG? Camera wouldnt power off!

I was excited. After months of searching, I just scored a brand new Bower 500mm mirror lens. It was new in the box. Got it for $54 on ebay! Yes I know some people hate these but thats beside the point. I'm wanting donut bokeh pics!!!
So I also bought a pentax adapter. Its a thin metal adapter that screws onto the lens so I can put it on my K-X. Like $5 on ebay.
I go outside to capture a flower from like 20 feet away (just to experiment). I switch the camera to manual (switch under lens on K-X). The camera last time it was used was automatic so the last setting was SCN and sunset. I switch the AF point to AUTO 5. And I see the flower through the viewfinder. So in order to get a steady shot I lay the camera on a metal table and focus. The camera starts shaking. I lift it up and it continues chattering. I panic and shut it off. It doesn't shut off. So Im thinking maybe that the adapter is shorting somehow to a connection or something weird like that. I panic and take off the lens. The mirror is jumping all around in the camera. I had to remove the batteries to get the camera to shut off and the LCD had lines all over it. I'm thinking "OH CRAP!!! WHAT THE HECK DID I JUST DO??????" I pop my Tamron 18-200mm lens back on, switch it to all automatic settings and its working great again. Now the issue is I have a brand new mirror lens I'm dying to try out, but scared to use. So what did I do wrong???

06-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Turn off Shake Reduction when the camera is mounted to a tripod or a table. I think that's what caused the vibration, but I'm surprised the camera wouldn't turn off.
06-14-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SelfEmployedDebtFree Quote
I was excited. After months of searching, I just scored a brand new Bower 500mm mirror lens. It was new in the box. Got it for $54 on ebay! Yes I know some people hate these but thats beside the point. I'm wanting donut bokeh pics!!!
So I also bought a pentax adapter. Its a thin metal adapter that screws onto the lens so I can put it on my K-X. Like $5 on ebay.
I go outside to capture a flower from like 20 feet away (just to experiment). I switch the camera to manual (switch under lens on K-X). The camera last time it was used was automatic so the last setting was SCN and sunset. I switch the AF point to AUTO 5. And I see the flower through the viewfinder. So in order to get a steady shot I lay the camera on a metal table and focus. The camera starts shaking. I lift it up and it continues chattering. I panic and shut it off. It doesn't shut off. So Im thinking maybe that the adapter is shorting somehow to a connection or something weird like that. I panic and take off the lens. The mirror is jumping all around in the camera. I had to remove the batteries to get the camera to shut off and the LCD had lines all over it. I'm thinking "OH CRAP!!! WHAT THE HECK DID I JUST DO??????" I pop my Tamron 18-200mm lens back on, switch it to all automatic settings and its working great again. Now the issue is I have a brand new mirror lens I'm dying to try out, but scared to use. So what did I do wrong???
Cameras freeze sometimes- just pull the battery when it happens. Low voltage can also be to blame.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #4

Original Poster
Yes the low battery indicator was on. Its never done that before though. Ill try again with fresh batteries and all manual settings.

06-16-2013, 12:53 PM   #5

Original Poster
It was the batteries. Got some interesting pics today with the same lens. But this beast will require some additional practice I can see.