Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2013, 11:43 PM   #1
Forum Member

DIY Macro shoot

I apologize if this has been discussed or shown before, but I wanted to share it with you all. I can be a very impulsive person, and a very impatient person at times too, so earlier tonight when I wanted to try some macro photography for the first time, I wanted it NOW. I didn't want to have to wait to order extension tubes or reversing adapting rings and for them to come next week before I did.

So I took my Pentax-M 50mm f1.7, reversed it and duct taped it to the end of my 18-55mm kit lens. I focused the 1.7 to infinity before taping it, and afterwards made sure the aperture was wide open. I initally had it taped to my 50-200mm, but in order to minimalize the vignetting/pinhole effect, the lens had to be zoomed in all the way at 200mm the magnification was TOO large for my subjects, so instead I switched and taped the 50 1.7 to the 18-55 kit and zoomed to 55mm and it was a good magnifaction. I threw on a speedlight and bounced it either off the ceiling or on the pullout bounce card (when I was outdoors) and shot away. You can still adjust depth of field with the on camera lens aperture settings (i didnt figure this out until the end of my shooting) and using the flash helped to freeze the subject to avoid blurring (camera shake is inevitable handheld at these magnifications)

So I got some pretty good results for macro shots handheld without buying any new equipment. Just used my K20D, 2 lenses, speedlight and duct tape.

06-14-2013, 11:59 PM   #2
TZH

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pretty good result, how many f-stop?
06-15-2013, 03:02 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Excellent result but the image you painted of yourself just cracks me up lol
06-15-2013, 07:00 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
cool!

By the way, pre-focusing the reversed lens to infinity is meaningless in terms of altering focusing distance. When mounted normally, focusing the lens moves the optical elements closer or further from the image plane. However in reverse mode, all you are doing is moving the lens barrel, not the optical elements. In fact, when moving a reversed lens to its closest focusing point, the lens barrel forms a hood to reduce flare.

Duct tape works, but if you are going to do this regularly, it is worth the cost to purchase a male to male filter thread adapter to more firmly and accurately attach the two lenses. If necessary, you can add a step ring to accommodate two different filter thread diameters.

06-15-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys! I love learning more and more everyday, and I definitely plan to invest in some of those adapter rings. This experiment was very fun and worth re-visiting.

Also, I honestly couldnt tell you the F-stop, it was wide open for most (f4.5) but once I found out that the on-camera lens aperture still affects depth of field I experimented later on down to f8 and f9 on some
06-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
That is just plain fun, learning through experimenting! And ending up with nice results, of course. I have quite same issue myself, have an idea -> test it, not now but right away! I had a DIY extension ring on my Oly, and i think i will make somekind of macrothingie with these K-mount lenses. Just waiting for inspiration...
06-17-2013, 12:48 AM   #7

Nice picture. and Great Narration