Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2013, 07:57 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As others have said, the transition from top to back LCD isn't too difficult. I went from K200D to K-30. What I really do wish, however, is that the K-30 had a battery grip option!

06-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for the input. I guess the general concensus is that if you have it, you use it, if you don't, you use the rear LCD. I suppose I can live with that!
06-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
[Turning off the rear LCD] is done with the info button second push offers to turn off the rear LCD on the K-30
True, but this is all-or-nothing action. Your method will turn it off for good. I want to shut the screen off when the meter shuts off (ie, after 3-5 secs) rather than leave it on for 60 or however long it usually stays on.
06-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I have a K-x and K-5 and really do miss the top LCD when using the K-x. I don't like using the rear LCD at all and have it turned off 90%of the time. Rear LCD's are a distraction from shooting in general and experiencing what's going on around me.

06-17-2013, 07:09 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I came to my K-7 from a Canon Rebel XT/350D, which also had a status LCD. Used it extensively because there was no alternative on the color LCD. It was a must-have feature for me when I switched systems, which is one reason why I went with the K-7. However, while I still value the top LCD of my K-7, it is no longer must-have (though it is well appreciated and much-used).

Partially my change in opinion is the status screen ability of the rear color LCD on the K-7, but much of it is also the fact that several of the main functions have physical switches, i.e., metering mode, focus mode. But now that I'm thinking about it, the K-7's top LCD also can show the horizon level feature, which is useful when on a tripod or shooting from the hip.

So my experience, if it matters, tells me that while I would get along fine without one, I would definitely miss a top status LCD.
06-17-2013, 08:28 PM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
Damn, just when I thought I had been convinced it doesn't matter!
06-18-2013, 06:39 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've used the K100D, K7, K5 and now K30.
Thats about 4yrs+ on the K7/K5 body layout, so you can imagine that I was pretty familiar with it.
So the K30 is the first Pentax DSLR that does not have a top LCD.
At first I was apprehensive that I'd miss it.
Looks like my gamble paid off.
I don't miss the top LCD one bit as nowadays the rear LCD does the job fine.

I ended up making back some money from selling my K5 and getting a K30 which was cheaper.
Like the lower weight, better AF, faster LV AF and focus peaking.

06-18-2013, 04:32 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by wowarning Quote
Do any of you that had a camera that had it and then went without regret not having it?
Coming from a GX-10 (aka K-10D) I did miss the top LCD at first. But slowly learned to substitute with the the viewfinder readout, and sometimes a glance at the back LCD. If I could have one interface feature back now, I would be the physical metering mode switch (matrix, center, spot).
06-19-2013, 12:49 AM   #24

Photos: Albums
Why don't you try putting some black tape over the top LCD on your current camera for a week or so and try out not having it? Then you can see if it is a problem for you or not. Or can you see the setting on the rear LCD? I've never used the *IST so I have no idea. Just a thought.
06-19-2013, 03:40 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Navmaxlp Quote
Why don't you try putting some black tape over the top LCD on your current camera for a week or so and try out not having it? Then you can see if it is a problem for you or not. Or can you see the setting on the rear LCD? I've never used the *IST so I have no idea. Just a thought.
That won't be quite the same because then he wouldn't be able to see any status info except for what's in the viewfinder. I'm pretty sure the *ist can't display settings on the rear LCD.
06-19-2013, 04:28 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Eberbachl Quote
I have a K-r and a K-5.

I use the top LCD on the K-5, but I have to say I don't miss it when shooting with the K-r. I just use the rear LCD and viewfinder. No problem.

Kind of the same here, I went from a K110D to a K-r and missed the top LCD at first (not now) ... then went with a K-7 and now a K-5 ... happy to have it back again, J
06-19-2013, 06:34 AM   #27

This was also a concern when I switched from a DS to K-r. I did not miss the top LCD though. It really wasn't useful in dim light due to the lack of illumination anyway.

It was actually more natural to view the rear LCD, imagine playing PSP, Gameboy, or any of those handheld gaming consoles with the LCD on top of the unit .

As mentioned above, it has an advantage when the body is below eye level like when using a tripod.

Also, shooting in dark conditions (think sunrise) is not ideal with a bright LCD in front of your eye. Yes you can turn it off, with several button presses on a K-30, but it would have been better with an eye sensor. But then again, in this scenario the DS' top LCD is useless without light
06-19-2013, 09:52 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I never regretted losing the top LCD. To me it is redundant, added weight, added cost.
06-19-2013, 11:22 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I rarely used the top LCD on my K100D, the exception being the battery monitor. I work with the K-30 rear LCD off apart from periodic looks at the battery status - everything else I need is in the VF.