Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2013, 08:11 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
a rig enabling focus confirmation and CIF

it could be as simple as "Using Aperture Ring" option in Menu, but unfortunately it is not. WHY????
I really would love to stop the necessity of shorting contacts and using aluminium foil , please someone influential could possibly talk to Pentax and ask them to add this simple addition to all future Pentax firmware updates.
In the meantime, did anyone manage to come up with usable , but more elegant than mine solution to this dilema?

Last edited by i_trax; 06-17-2013 at 08:22 AM.
06-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I know what you are saying. Its pretty annoying. You can try using a flanged adapter, but you might use infinity focus.
Very cool lens, though. You should post a lens review with some sample photos

Last edited by Na Horuk; 06-17-2013 at 11:29 AM.
06-17-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
a rig enabling focus confirmation and CIF

it could be as simple as "Using Aperture Ring" option in Menu, but unfortunately it is not. WHY????
I smell trouble.

First of all, it appears that we are talking 42mm screw mounted lenses only. And at least with my Takumars and genuine Pentax Mount Adapter-K, I do get focus confirmation on all of my three Pentax DSLRs (*ist DL, K200D, K-5). But, right, I don't get Catch-in-Focus with my Takumars unless I shorten the contacts on the body.

Now then, the current technology works with Focus Confirmation plus CIF for all genuine Pentax K, M, A, F, FA and DA lenses. Some third Party lenses may need have a black anodizing layer on the mount sanded away, but that is another story.

What you are asking for would be some sort of in-camera shortening of the contacts whenever you set 'Aperture Ring Permtted'. That would work (I suppose) with Takumars and other M42 lenses (where you do light metering in stop-down mode).

But what about K and M (where you meter using the 'green button')? It may or may not work - I am not sure..

I am fairly sure that A-lenses would not work as the should if contacts were shortened the way you ask for.

And I am pretty sure that you will get into real trouble with AF lenses. Thus, if you were to shift from a K or M lens to an F, FA, or DA lens and vice versa, you would have to disable-enable 'Aperture Ring Permitted' each time. A very inconvenient procedure relative to that of today where you just have to set 'Aperture Ring Permtted' once and for all, whereafter you can freely shift between all your K-mount lenses without speculating about menu settings.

In my opinion, Pentax has actually done a fine work in keeping the backwards compatibility the way they have, allowing even for CIF wih K-mount MF lenses. As for Takumars, they are from a time where no one would dream up such a sci-fi thing as CIF. So, for my sake, I just enjoy that I can now have Focus Confirmation even with those precious old lenses.
06-17-2013, 09:08 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
I smell trouble.

First of all, it appears that we are talking 42mm screw mounted lenses only. And at least with my Takumars and genuine Pentax Mount Adapter-K, I do get focus confirmation on all of my three Pentax DSLRs (*ist DL, K200D, K-5). But, right, I don't get Catch-in-Focus with my Takumars unless I shorten the contacts on the body.

Now then, the current technology works with Focus Confirmation plus CIF for all genuine Pentax K, M, A, F, FA and DA lenses. Some third Party lenses may need have a black anodizing layer on the mount sanded away, but that is another story.

What you are asking for would be some sort of in-camera shortening of the contacts whenever you set 'Aperture Ring Permtted'. That would work (I suppose) with Takumars and other M42 lenses (where you do light metering in stop-down mode).

But what about K and M (where you meter using the 'green button')? It may or may not work - I am not sure..

I am fairly sure that A-lenses would not work as the should if contacts were shortened the way you ask for.

And I am pretty sure that you will get into real trouble with AF lenses. Thus, if you were to shift from a K or M lens to an F, FA, or DA lens and vice versa, you would have to disable-enable 'Aperture Ring Permitted' each time. A very inconvenient procedure relative to that of today where you just have to set 'Aperture Ring Permtted' once and for all, whereafter you can freely shift between all your K-mount lenses without speculating about menu settings.

In my opinion, Pentax has actually done a fine work in keeping the backwards compatibility the way they have, allowing even for CIF wih K-mount MF lenses. As for Takumars, they are from a time where no one would dream up such a sci-fi thing as CIF. So, for my sake, I just enjoy that I can now have Focus Confirmation even with those precious old lenses.
I need to clarify that I do NOT want this function to be linked with "Aperture Ring Permitted" , that was quoted just as an example.
My "request" would be very convenient not just with M42 lenses but also with K mount with anodised bases , I have number of those and do not want to damaged them by scratching the base and lowering resell value.
The green button in M mode would still work with K and M lenses, this is totally different matter.
The earthing of the last contact would enable CIF regardless of the kind of lens attached, isolating of the same contact would enable CIF on all AF lenses.
Both those options would be very convenient in certain situations and simply doable via firmware upgrade.
and yes I do agree that Pentax always did and still do very fine job in keeping the backwards compatibility all the way back, that's why I am with Pentax and always will be

06-18-2013, 04:20 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Hm nope, CiF does not work with all DA lenses. Only works with lenses that have AF/MF switch, because you need to have the lens set to manual and camera to AF. And a lot of legacy lenses have a base that is too narrow to short contacts, like the Takumars (and Helios 44-2, Industar 50-2, the lens in OP, etc.).
I think the OP would just want CiF to work even without the need to short contacts at all, without the need to switch lens to MF and camera to AF. Maybe in some future cameras this will be done differently, but I wouldn't bet on it. And there is nothing we can do about it right now, other than finding a way to short contacts ourselves.
06-18-2013, 06:52 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Na Horuk, you are of course right regarding CIF and DA lenses. What I meant and should have written in my post was that I want to retain my current options to have CIF on MF K-, M- and A-lenses and AF on FA and DA lenses AND to able to switch freely between MF and AF lenses without any concerns for menu settings.

And, like you, I wouldn't bet that we will ever get CIF to work with all lenses without ever needing to shorten contacts. To me, it sounds like more of a major re-design than just a matter of firmware changes. (I would of course be happy, if I am proven to be wrong here).