Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Which is the max capacity SDHC supported from the Pentax K10?

After that above question could I suppose that don't exist issue with fast cards?
With the only limit due from the buffer of the camera on term of eventual better performance on certain circumstance?

06-18-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been using an 8gb card in my K10 with no problems. Be sure to have the latest firmware installed.
06-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
32GB would be the theoretical limit.
06-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #4
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eulogy Quote
32GB would be the theoretical limit.
I think I'd get lost in a card that big!

06-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K10D supports the SDHC standard.

This means it should handle any card which complies with this standard, independend from capacity.
The SDHC standard supports a maximum of 32GB.

However, initially the K10D had some problems with 32GB cards from certain manufacturers, which were introduced after the start of the K10D, whether caused by a fault of Pentax or the card manufacturers was not reveiled.

But there was a Pentax firmware update which reportedly has solved these problems.
06-18-2013, 04:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Th differnce between SDHC and SDXC is actually non exsistend as far as i know.
The SDHC protocols they used theoratically support 2TB i believe, the limit to 32GB comes from the rules of the standard specfication itself.
I'm not sure if the specification are strictly for the card or for the host...

So it might be posiable SDXC card might work in the K10D while they arent offically supported.
Would be interested if someone could test that.

wiki:
SDXC cards are allowed to use all 22 bits of the C_SIZE field. An SDHC card that did so (reported C_SIZE > 65375 to indicate a capacity of over 32 GiB) would violate the specification. A host device that relied on C_SIZE rather than the specification to determine the card's maximum capacity might support such a card, but the card might fail in other SDHC-compatible host devices.
06-18-2013, 05:13 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What you say is correct.

But if the Pentax firmware internally uses tables limited by their size to hold numbers only up to 32GB, it wouldn't work or behave crazely. Any attempted overflow would In the best case show an understandable error message (<> some well known rather funny Microsoft error messages). But it could alternatively hang the system, overwrite previous recorded pictures, and/or corrupt possible file allocation tables on the card, causing a need to re-format it.

But, as you say, we will only know if someones tries. If the programmers working for Pentax acted sensible, they may have blocked any attempt to use a card of which they know usage could cause problems.

06-18-2013, 11:18 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks.
06-19-2013, 06:34 PM   #9
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alexfoto Quote
Thanks.
Don't mention it.