Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Is this what sensor dust looks like?

I took two pictures with my K-30 of the blue sky with my lens focused on infinity. The first picture is at f/1.4.

The second picture was at f/22.

At f/22 I see a little hair-like dookie near the upper right hand side.

I swapped in a different lens and took two more pictures the same way and I got the same results (not pictured here). So, whatever this is it is independent of the lens.

Is this what sensor dust looks like? How do I get of these artifacts?

06-19-2013, 06:01 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Looks like a couple dust spots and a hair. I don't have a K30, but if the K30 has dust removal, try that first. Otherwise, a rocket blower should be the first step, and if that doesn't work, you may need to wet clean the sensor. If all else fails, you can clone dust spots out of your images.
06-19-2013, 06:18 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In case you are new to the procedure, to use a Rocket Blower (or wet clean) you first need to lock up the mirror and open the shutter. There is a sensor cleaning function you can look up deep in the menu system of the camera.
06-20-2013, 07:30 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
It was dust indeed! I found the sensor cleaning function described in the manual. When I took the lens off I could see the hair very easily. Since I didn't have the Rocket Blower I simply used a baster that I cleaned thoroughly. The hair went away and so did the ugly spots!