Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2008, 03:54 PM   #1

Very hard decision to make, LOOK!

Hello all, I had the Samsung GX-10 and it broke so I sent it in for repair and then was told that they could not fix the camera. And since Samsung does not have any GX-10's in stock or GX-20 for that matter, they told me that I would be getting a refund on my camera. Being that I got the GX-10 at such a good price when I bought it ($679.00 kit) now that I have to buy another camera, but this time I'm going with the Pentax name brand (because of battery grip) so either the K10D or the new K20D.

I kind of see it as I've been giving a second chance to make a decision on either the K10D or K20D since the K20 was not out when I first bought my camera. The only problem is do I really want to spend twice as much for the K20D now, and is the K20D really worth it?, as I don't know how long I can wait until the price drops. How soon do you think we'll see price drops? If I could get it for say close to $1000.00 I would not think about it and go for the upgrade. I just hate being without a camera for now. I may just wait until May to see if any rebates come out are if the price drops some. Man this is hard.

The way I'm thinking now is, since I don't plan on buying another camera body for a very long time after this purchase. It may be worth spending the extra money now instead of wanting to kick myself later for not getting the newer K20D. I really liked the GX-10 but decided this time to go with Pentax just for the battary grip. Any thoughts on this is welcomed. Thanks Dale

03-15-2008, 04:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by foots Quote
Hello all, I had the Samsung GX-10 and it broke so I sent it in for repair and then was told that they could not fix the camera.
What an utter B**l S**t. Of course they can repair that camera. They just don't want to!
It is much easier to sell you a new camera with some discount.

Don't fall for this lure.

- Bert
03-15-2008, 05:05 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hello Bert, I know this should have been something they could fix for sure. The Focus Mode Lever broke off the camera. I shipped it to the repair shop they told me too, and Samsung told the repair shop they did not have the parts to fix it and to send the camera in to them (Samsung) Then Samsung told me they would replace my camera with a new GX-10 well then they tell me that they had no GX-10's in stock so I asked about the GX-20 and they said it hadn't been released yet. So they would refund my money I paid for the camera. I was told this Monday the 10th. Well I guess it gives me a second chance, so this time I'm buying PENTAX! Now just to figure our which one the K10D or K20D. Thanks
03-15-2008, 05:05 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the K10 and the K20. Both do an excellent job, but if I had to choose only one to keep it would be the K20. I would think that most people would be happier with the K20 longer at this point. If you were going to leap frog models and only get every other one at the same level, the K20 would mean longer before were in the market again. For me, if you are going to buy a camera anyway, get the newer one. That's just me.

03-15-2008, 05:09 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks Davemdsn, That's what I was thinking. I just wonder when will we see the first pirce drop? as I can wait about a month or so. Just trying to make the best move and save a little money doing so. Thanks again, Dale
03-15-2008, 06:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hard to predict the future, but I doubt we'll see a significant price drop that soon.
03-15-2008, 06:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Foots,
Always when the new model come out, the price drop is with the older model, if available. Thats, just how it works. Good luck.

Dave
03-15-2008, 07:51 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
What an utter B**l S**t. Of course they can repair that camera. They just don't want to!
It is much easier to sell you a new camera with some discount.

Don't fall for this lure.

- Bert
probably not worth fixing. I had a K10 die about a month after I got it,
and pentax just sent me a new one.

03-15-2008, 08:17 PM   #9
krs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think it just depends on your desires and needs. I bought a K10D for a little over $500 and am thrilled with it - could not beat it for the money!
03-15-2008, 11:43 PM   #10

How about dragging this one out until they DO have some GX-20 in stock?

03-16-2008, 06:12 AM   #11

Original Poster
You know Benplaut, I told the lady that I would hold out until the GX-20 came in. but she said that Samsung would not do it as they wanted to close this case out ASAP! She said it could be 6 months or so before the GX-20s came in. Yea I tried that angle ;-)