Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2008, 04:35 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by trumpyman Quote
Always shoot in AFS sory
Hi Trumpyman

So does the subject matter (footy) move towards you, away from you or L to R when you get your best shots? They were great by the way!

I am asking because I got variable results at the Clipsal 500 race in Adealide when the cars were coming toward me. Using K10D with DA 16-45 and occassionally Bigma & AF-C.

When the cars were receding it was even worse - every shot ( of the car) was blurred, background was in focus, however, I don't think it was a backfocus issue, pretty sure it was AF based.

Anyway, I am interested in your thoughts. TIA.

03-17-2008, 05:51 PM   #32
Inactive Account

movement

Attachment 9671Hi.As u can imagine the action moves in all directions so i just go with it.Try AFS instead of AFC. and use centre point focusing.Ive shot drag boat racing with good results. the bad thing with AFC is the camera will take the shot whether the subject is in focus or not so thats where u get your blurry pics.With AFS focus on your subject camera beeps to say its focused then take ur shot.try fast shutter speeds then work your way down to where u still get clear pics that way u can lower your ISO. Dont give up i got plenty of blurry shots when i first started now i get a very high rate of keepers.Plenty of practise mainly panning with your subject and get focusing right and you wil get great pics.Just for something different i tried some surfer shots for the first time the other day and got good results there to,once you get it right youl get all sorts of good action shots. Let me know how u go. good luk

Last edited by trumpyman; 05-06-2008 at 08:08 PM.
03-17-2008, 06:30 PM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by trumpyman Quote
Hi.As u can imagine the action moves in all directions so i just go with it.Try AFS instead of AFC. and use centre point focusing.Ive shot drag boat racing with good results. the bad thing with AFC is the camera will take the shot whether the subject is in focus or not so thats where u get your blurry pics.With AFS focus on your subject camera beeps to say its focused then take ur shot.try fast shutter speeds then work your way down to where u still get clear pics that way u can lower your ISO. Dont give up i got plenty of blurry shots when i first started now i get a very high rate of keepers.Plenty of practise mainly panning with your subject and get focusing right and you wil get great pics.Just for something different i tried some surfer shots for the first time the other day and got good results there to,once you get it right youl get all sorts of good action shots. Let me know how u go. good luk

Really appreciate this advice and will put it into action this Saturday at the Oakbank Easter Racing Carnival. Actually feeling quite excited at the prospects - will post results next week.
03-17-2008, 11:00 PM   #34
Inactive Account

no prob

Good luck n look forward to seein your pics,very interested to see how u go.

03-18-2008, 08:30 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
I kept all my photos. For those I didn't want to keep, I deleted them immediately.
You might have deleted a lot more than you think. Deleting on camera as you say you do just means some (a lot?) arent too good. Maybe, overall, your score isn't any better than any decent Pentaxian...
03-18-2008, 02:46 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Well, I never tested the K10D that extensively. I only had it for a couple of months before trading it for the K20D. I tried birds in flight with the K10D which was really difficult, but that's tough with any system, and I was using the Bigma. My Da*50-135 wasn't really long enough, and didn't have a high success rate. However, I've read several threads where people showed how their K10D had problems tracking their kid running towards them. (I don't think my K10D was that bad.)

When I got my K20D, I had a chance to shoot a road race my wife was running in. I used my 50-135. Out of probably 50 or more shots, I only had two that were out of focus, and that was because the auto matrix focus mode shifted to the wrong point. As a point of test, I left the camera set to AF-C and let the camera pick the focus point. Here are a couple of examples:

You can go to my Flickr set (currently, the shots are on page 2, but this will "roll" with time) and see the full sized shots. The focus is absolutely spot on! Indeed, on some of the full sized shots, I can actually read the handwritten information on the runners' bibs! I am really impressed and pleased with the performance of this system. I can't wait to try some more sports shots. Granted, outdoor shooting of predictable action should be easy, and in this case the K20D worked perfectly. I've recently received the DA*200 and want to try it out as well.
03-18-2008, 02:51 PM   #37

Love the first shot - all of them clearing the ground. I would be pleased to get a shot like that!!!
03-18-2008, 02:59 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Outlaw Quote
Love the first shot - all of them clearing the ground. I would be pleased to get a shot like that!!!

Thanks! I planned it just like that.

03-18-2008, 04:18 PM   #39
Veteran Member

i would crop the first one from the knees down and include the shadow of the feet.

But I have a weird eye
03-19-2008, 07:44 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
i would crop the first one from the knees down and include the shadow of the feet.

But I have a weird eye
You know, just "cropping" it here by scrolling the photo off the top of my window, it does make an interesting shot. I'll have to play around with it.

One good thing about those 14.5MP - plenty of room to crop!
03-19-2008, 05:29 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote

One good thing about those 14.5MP - plenty of room to crop!
I found that out, too. But it sure chews up alot of space on SD cards too. If I didn't work with a Hasselblad with 31meg once in a while, I wouldn't believe it is possible.
03-19-2008, 08:39 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
I found that out, too. But it sure chews up alot of space on SD cards too. If I didn't work with a Hasselblad with 31meg once in a while, I wouldn't believe it is possible.

Yeah, but memory is oh so cheap! I'm using a couple of 8GB cards that cost $30-something each. I get well over 200 PEFs + jpegs on each card, which covers me nicely. If I just shoot PEF, I get over 400 shots on a card. That's plenty of space for me. However, I know others that could shoot that much in an hour.