Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2008, 09:44 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've explained this in the past - ban this twits IP range!

Don't ban the user, don't ban his IP, ban the complete IP range!!

Trust me, how many people do you think are coming in from that range? One, maybe two?

Please!

03-17-2008, 10:12 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BrendanPK Quote
We dont want this place to become like DPR
This is why Rice needs to go.
03-17-2008, 04:05 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by BrendanPK Quote
Hi Rice, and THanks for the post/info.
Though some are quick to dismay anything you say I do listen, but re-conferm with my own experence/tests.
As of now I have not found the lack of difference in AF with my K20D yet, esp with my FA* 300mm F2.8, I will still be testing. I have found AFC to be better on the K20 so fay and it seams to be quicker in low-light with my FA 50mm F1.4.
thanks
PS. Everyone... let everyone express findings that they have had. sure if they are prur-bashing the moderator should take care of them, but respectifuly disagree if you mest so. We dont want this place to become like DPR

Agree with BrendanPK,

Folks do have a right to post their opinions so long as they are not rude or insulting or personally based - sometimes we won't agree with all they say, sometimes we might but they need to have the opportunity to express. Now, if we don't like what they say, be a bigger person and don't respond - simply ignore.

I was impressed with the quality of responses when I joined this forum but am getting a little dismayed with the angst against Rice - hey I dont agree with all he says either but it's my choice whether to respond or not.

No offence to anyone here - this is just my POV. Peace!
03-17-2008, 05:55 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
I partially agree for what you say, Alan. Testing AF at close distance is not a waste of time but shooting a "45 degree" test chart surely is.

Shoot a flat surface, which has a plane perpendicular to the optical axis of your lens, like my this example:-
no, maybe you need to shoot real pictures, like this example

available low light, no flash, autofocus

Have you ever shot anything other than a test photo? I ask in all seriousness.

Last edited by nostatic; 03-17-2008 at 06:02 PM.
03-17-2008, 07:23 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No problem, I'll show you.

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
no, maybe you need to shoot real pictures, like this example

available low light, no flash, autofocus

Have you ever shot anything other than a test photo? I ask in all seriousness.
See:-

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/22880-camera-does-matter-3.html#post197819

I used MF though! (and Manual White Balance as well)
03-17-2008, 08:13 PM   #21
Veteran Member

well, that's one

My main issue is that there seem to be two camps - those that read spec sheets and those that take pictures. Sometimes the two actually overlap, but I've always been under the impression that what is important is what you create...the tool is just that. A tool. Some tools are better than others, but to incessantly pound away at spreadsheets of numbers and photos of newpapers and brick walls become simply noise upon noise. And at some point, people tune out, while others become hostile.

You're not telling anyone here anything that they don't know. AF is not a strength of Pentax compared to the latest and greatest from Canon and Nikon. But some of us seem to be able to get shots despite the "clearly flawed" system. It actually works pretty well under certain circumstances.

A good craftsman learns the tools and work with them. A poor craftsman blames the tool for their own inadequecies. An annoying crasftsman mutters and complains about what the tool should be.

Every tool is flawed. I buy the one that works best for me. I don't like the ergos or UI on Canon. And that is more important to me than absolute AF performance. But you don't see me on the Canon boards complaining about the abysmal design. No one there wants to hear it. And obviously they have chosen because the tool works for them.

I had a K10d and wasn't happy with it. So I returned it. I then tested an E3, D300, and K20d. I bought the Pentax without hesitation. For me, it was pretty clearly the best tool for what I do. And the fact that I can buy and mount a 31mm ltd and 77mm ltd is total icing on the cake. Is it perfect? Nope. Which is good, because neither am I.
03-17-2008, 11:45 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
This is why Rice needs to go.
jgredline, thats exactly DPR if RH would be forced out.
Outlaw;197667 said it best here:

QuoteOriginally posted by Outlaw Quote
Agree with BrendanPK,

Folks do have a right to post their opinions so long as they are not rude or insulting or personally based - sometimes we won't agree with all they say, sometimes we might but they need to have the opportunity to express. Now, if we don't like what they say, be a bigger person and don't respond - simply ignore.

I was impressed with the quality of responses when I joined this forum but am getting a little dismayed with the angst against Rice - hey I dont agree with all he says either but it's my choice whether to respond or not.
Guys just let RH be. If you agee, geat, throw up some samples, if not, thorw up examples or just dont post.
Photography is subjective and all the cameras out there are not 100% identical.
Yes Pentax needs to address problems, they finally are, slowly, we should be happy for that, others will probably never be addressed (some that RH has stated, others not)
overall if you dont like the stuff, shoot something else, if you do, just format your CONSTRUCTIVE criticism in a manor that is respectable and informative, not "troll-ish"
03-18-2008, 07:49 AM   #23
Veteran Member

All this pro-RiceHigh nonsense is just that, NONSENSE!!

When I try to sell my K10D I have to accept the fact that because of this twit's misinformation I have less people who will be interested.

When people look at buying a camera brand, like I did, they come to forums like this and look for information. Not being familiar with the brand or features one is highly impressioned with seemingly 'fact-based' posts like RiceHigh's.. Of course he only posts complete garbage but, a newcomer has no clue.

Allowing this amount of incorrect posting on the most popular Pentax forum is just irresponsible at best. Give an idiot like this a soapbox and he'll stand on it all day. Pentaxforums should stop being that soapbox!

03-18-2008, 08:05 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So, you should speak out what's the nonsense is about?

My main point is to report what Frank has already shown us clearly: K20D has an improved AF with more sharp focus with various different Pentax AF lenses whereas the K10D gives out-of-focus pictures when compared side-by-side with the same lenses.

So, what's the mis-information here?

People will judge.

If you have a different finding and want to dis-prove any "mis-information" told by anyone on the net, what you need to do is to provide the proof of yours or at least you could express your disagreement for what reason(s), but not only shout loudly solely and attack others, personally.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
All this pro-RiceHigh nonsense is just that, NONSENSE!!

When I try to sell my K10D I have to accept the fact that because of this twit's misinformation I have less people who will be interested.

When people look at buying a camera brand, like I did, they come to forums like this and look for information. Not being familiar with the brand or features one is highly impressioned with seemingly 'fact-based' posts like RiceHigh's.. Of course he only posts complete garbage but, a newcomer has no clue.

Allowing this amount of incorrect posting on the most popular Pentax forum is just irresponsible at best. Give an idiot like this a soapbox and he'll stand on it all day. Pentaxforums should stop being that soapbox!
03-18-2008, 10:09 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Outlaw Quote
am getting a little dismayed with the angst against Rice
it is just become fashionable here to bash RH... please stop that KKK-ish attitude !!!
03-18-2008, 10:36 AM   #26
Veteran Member

can't we all just get along???
03-18-2008, 11:06 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Closed! ugh, why oh why...
Closed Thread