Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2013, 09:03 PM   #1

Battery Grip Power Options

Hey guys, I am pondering on getting the battery grip for my K-5 IIs and have been thinking about the official Pentax one because it is weather sealed as so elloquently demonstrated by Heie. Just curious though, which provides more power? 6 high quality 2300 mAH Ni-MH batteries or an extra Li-Ion Pentax battery? I will probably use the Pentax but I do have a bag full of those high quality rechargeable AAs and was wondering which would get me better results?

06-22-2013, 09:41 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
If you have the AAs already, stick with them.
06-23-2013, 12:05 AM   #3

Original Poster
Well, I have AAs and about 4 Pentax Li-Ion batteries for the K-5. I just am wondering which gives best performance.
06-23-2013, 12:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kryscendo Quote
Hey guys, I am pondering on getting the battery grip for my K-5 IIs and have been thinking about the official Pentax one because it is weather sealed as so elloquently demonstrated by Heie. Just curious though, which provides more power? 6 high quality 2300 mAH Ni-MH batteries or an extra Li-Ion Pentax battery? I will probably use the Pentax but I do have a bag full of those high quality rechargeable AAs and was wondering which would get me better results?
I'll answer two parts to your question, although the first wasn't one....
1) Stick with getting the original Pentax grip, although the other are cheaper it will fit properly. Why do I say this, because the cheap grip I got for my K-7 (and which is suppose to be compatible) dose not fix, the location pin are a little tighter (unless its just my copy of the K-5II)

2) IMO I get better (longer) performance from the 2300 than the AA's, and its a lot easer to carry 2/4/6 2300's than it is to carry 6/12/18 AA's

Last edited by bdparker; 06-23-2013 at 04:07 AM.
06-23-2013, 01:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

AA's are a little more convenient source of power because:

1. Easy to get.
2. Cheaper (compared to original Pentax Li-Ion).
3. Last longer. You can stick 6 AA and only one Li-Ion in your BG.
4. Can be used with other stuff, for example flashes.

The only reason why you should take a very serious look at Li-Ion's is if you shoot in really cold weather.
06-23-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I also agree about getting the original Pentax Grip. it is weather sealed and most likely has a warranty, you will really enjoy having one anyways.
I however utilize the Lion batteries, I have the Camera set to use the grip battery first , then move to the one in the Camera. I however have the AA adapter that comes with it in my camera bag and have it loaded with those Energizer lithium X8 batteries for backup purposes, I havent had to use it yet .......but it sure is nice knowing they are there if need be. I have checked out one of those after market el cheapo grips and I am not impressed, but hey....its your gear and your money....