Below $800 5846.40%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2008, 12:49 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Hi cafinator

Re your observation:

QuoteQuote:
You can imagine how thrilled people who brought at list would be if that happened just months after launch.
You can look at this a number of ways, but from my perspective I'm afraid that anyone who naively pays full list price for ANYTHING either has more money than sense or alternatively richly deserves what they get ! Wholesalers will always screw the best deals they can from the manufacturers and retail customers should bargain likewise when dealing with retail outlets if they are savvy. In huge swathes of the world, you are fully expected to haggle over goods, but it seems that folks in the western hemisphere have lost this particular art and will meekly pay what the retailer demands ! To hell with that practice and always remember, nothing ventured, nothing gained !!!

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 03-17-2008 at 07:17 PM.
03-17-2008, 01:40 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow, the current majority think it will fall below $800. There are a lot of optimists on this site! Someone mentioned Hoya's ideas about how much revenue Pentax should be making, and I think that's the key here. Hoya wants Pentax to make money, and raising prices is a way to do that. Although I would love the K20D to go below $800, I don't think this will happen in the Hoya era. Even when the K30D comes out I cannot see the K20D selling for less than $800.

I hope I'm wrong!

As I'll be keeping my K10D until the K30D comes out, I also hope it doesn't come out costing more than the K20D right now.
03-17-2008, 06:59 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
Hoya wants Pentax to make money, and raising prices is a way to do that.
Only if demand supports that price. On the assumption that the pre-Hoya Pentax had a basic business competence (not always a safe assumption) and read the market correctly, the company dropped the price of the K10D dramatically in order to maintain volume and market share in the face of soft demand.

Hoya/Pentax, like any manufacturer, will maintain price as long as demand supports it (again assuming a basic competence), but will attenuate price as demand declines - all in the effort to find the sweet spot between price and volume for maximum returns. Obviously, Hoya/Pentax can declare the price of a K20D to be 1300 bucks or 1200 euros or however many yen, but if few buy at those figures, then something's gotta give - the company has to determine how to increase demand as well as develop a good pricing strategy to get to that sweet spot. Who knows how well the price of the K20D holds up; since I'm interested in seeing the K-mount prosper (because of all the lenses on my shelves), I hope it's a real business success.

Beyond the analytical stuff, the value of the K20D at its current pricing is a subjective, personal decision - one I have yet to make.

Jer
03-17-2008, 07:39 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Only if demand supports that price. On the assumption that the pre-Hoya Pentax had a basic business competence (not always a safe assumption) and read the market correctly, the company dropped the price of the K10D dramatically in order to maintain volume and market share in the face of soft demand.

Beyond the analytical stuff, the value of the K20D at its current pricing is a subjective, personal decision - one I have yet to make.

Jer
Jer,
Thanks for the laugh!! Sounds to me like you have run into a few less than competent business plans. Like you, my investment in Pentax glass makes me hope they have a workable strategy.

Ken

03-17-2008, 08:23 PM   #20
Veteran Member

there is more to certain hobbies/professions and the customer/client relationship than price.

I've been on both sides of the counter. I've been ground mercilously by some people for whome price is the utmost concern. I've had others who want a fair price, but it isn't the most important criteria. Now which customer is going to get better service after the sale?

I buy a mix of online and b&m. When I can I support my local store where I get help, expertise, and service. I think that is worth something. A pet peeve of mine is people who will go and waste a salesperson's time checking out all the stuff in the store only to go home and order it from Adorama because it is $50 cheaper. To me that is rude, and dharma is a harsh mistress.

As it turns out the price was actually cheaper at my local store, but tax pushed it higher than mail order. No matter...they spent time with me and I think that is worth something. And the next time I went in, I was greeted by name, and exchanges, etc were no issue. I gladly picked up another lens even though it was $30 more expensive than online. Because I knew if there were issues I'd be taken care of without having to ship it somewhere, be on hold on the phone, etc. That is worth something to me. My time is important.

As for what the camera is worth...well, I could wait until the price drops, but then I'd miss a bunch of photos, wouldn't I? I already have taken a few in the last couple of days that are worth a lot to me. And maybe to someone else. 50 years from now I'll be dead, some of my photos will (hopefully) still be around, and the cost of my K20d will be completely inconsequential.
03-17-2008, 08:41 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Jer,
Sounds to me like you have run into a few less than competent business plans. Like you, my investment in Pentax glass makes me hope they have a workable strategy.

Ken
Indeed I have, Ken. In my experience, it's because people pay attention to the latest theory emerging from a big name business school or from the gospel according to the currently "in" consultant who's written a best seller which peddles a viewpoint the target audience already believed since puberty.

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 03-17-2008 at 08:50 PM.
03-17-2008, 08:44 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
As for what the camera is worth...well, I could wait until the price drops, but then I'd miss a bunch of photos, wouldn't I? I already have taken a few in the last couple of days that are worth a lot to me. And maybe to someone else. 50 years from now I'll be dead, some of my photos will (hopefully) still be around, and the cost of my K20d will be completely inconsequential.

As I said . . . a personal decision, which can't be translated to anyone else.

Jer
03-17-2008, 10:46 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Very USA oriented Poll

I will be happy to buy K20D when price will fall to $1100. This is the price which we need to pay for K10D currently. New K20D costs $1700.

03-18-2008, 04:10 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You are right, sorry

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Very USA oriented Poll

I will be happy to buy K20D when price will fall to $1100. This is the price which we need to pay for K10D currently. New K20D costs $1700.
Yeah, sorry about that. I tried to figure out how to incorporate other markets but couldn't come up with a good method. I thought about using a percentage off the list price but thought that might be to confusing. In your case it looks like that is about a 64% discount putting the U.S. price at $836 that you would pay.

Please accept my apologies for not being more world conscious. That is of course what has gotten us into most of our problems around the world.

For any other world citizens, please help make this poll as all inclusive as possible. The only way I can think of is if you figure out what percentage off your list price you would have to have to be a buyer and then apply that to the U.S. list of $1,260 to come up with the price you would pay in U.S. dollars. Thanks.

Regards,
Ken

Last edited by regken; 03-18-2008 at 04:42 AM.
11-27-2009, 06:43 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, I bought my second K20D in March for under $700! At the time, I thought it might have been foolish but now, I'm feeling pretty clever (a novel feeling, I might add ;~)
11-27-2009, 09:41 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought mine for $606 in December...ebay auction when they seemed to drop and then came back up. I sold it for $900 then bought a Titan for not much more than the original. Does than mean that my K7 will be worth $700 by July?
11-28-2009, 10:42 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

this poll is over 1 1/2 years old. back when the k20d was priced like the k-7 now.
not relevant anymore.