Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2013, 05:55 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
AF360FGZ manual control in TAv mode?

Hi,

I'm going nuts here. I was shooting a ballet performance today just as I have been doing for the past few years. But today, since it was more "informal and casual" I was allowed to use flash.
So I went the usual, F50 1.7 on my K20, TAv mode: 1/100 f4
But this time, I could use a bit of fill flash. So I set my AF360FGZ to manual mode, 1/32 power and it worked like a charm for about 100 shots. Then at one point I noticed it fired full power (or close to it) washing out the image.
After fiddling with both the camera and the flash for a while, it basically was going back to P-TTL if I use TAv mode. Just like in Av. Only M allowed the flash to be used in manual mode.
How in the world was I capable of going manual for about 100 shots and then go kaboom? Back home I've tried everything and it just won't fire manually in TAv mode.
Did I just had a lucky poor connection in the hot shoe?
Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks,

06-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #2
Pentaxian

This happens to me sometimes too. I did about 170 shots other day, about a quarter with AF360, one shot went wildly over exposed and was completely out of focus, despite being a 'still life' scenario exactly the same as all the other shots I had taken. Bizarre. It's happened a few times before as well.
Can't offer any ideas as to what's happening, because the next shot with exact same settings will work out.
06-25-2013, 08:58 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Cal.

Weird.
My question is: Is manual control of the flash possible with the AF360FGZ/K20D combo in TAv mode or did I just had a lucky "error"?

Thanks,