Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2007, 07:32 PM   #1
Inactive Account

How Many have had your K10d Replaced?

As I posted before, my camera's on board flash blew the second day I had it. Sent it in to Pentax and they've had it since Jan 2nd. I learned today that they were going to replace the camera, not repair it. Unfortunately I also learned that it may take more than two more weeks until they ship me my replacement
Their website for tracking the repair process only showed my status as in progress. I had to call to get the additional information. I also will have to call to find out when it actually ships out. They do no notifications. I would have hoped that they'd at least be able to post the shipped date and tracking info.

In the meanwhile, I've been able to obtain a Sigma EF 500 DG Super, a nice ProMaster System 1 tripod and three way head, some SD cards and an additional camera battery. I am so anxious to get the body back. . .

So how many others have had to have their K10D replaced, either by Pentax or their local dealer? Also, what was the original reason for the replacement, e.g. defective flash, etc?

01-12-2007, 08:06 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had one of the first K10Ds . . . when I started seeing deliveries on the West Coast, I started calling camera shops in Los Angeles. I found a body at Bel Air camera and it was delivered to me in Florida on 11/21. Several days later the flash failed . . . my body was in the serial # series of 221n . . . group most prone to this failure. Fortunately, my dealer agreed that repair should not be an option . . . Bel Air replaced out of their next order and my total downtime was about 2 days.
From ewverything I have seen, repair is not an option. Production appears to be limited to bodies not parts. If you send you body in for "repair", you can expect a replacement. From my POV, that may be a better option . . . did you really spend $1,000 on a camera to end up with a "refurb"????
01-12-2007, 09:25 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How much had both of you used the on-board flash before it failed? Approximate number of shots? I have had mine since two day before Thanksgiving (US) and have nad no problems, but I have only used the pop-up about four times. My ssn is in the 221xxxx range.
01-12-2007, 10:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Maybe I better exercise my flash to see if it will fail too. I got one of the very first bodies in Los Angeles. Ordered, and paid for one the day after they were oficially announced. Since I never use flash, it hasn't been a concern. Maybe it should be. My serial is 2218006.

Sorry about your frustrations. Reinforces my belief that cameras these days are more of an expendible electronic device than a photographic imaging implement. They don't 'fix' electronics these days . . . they replace them. In a way, sad; but that is the way of the world these days.

I remember very well building my first computer. No, we didn't assemble and plug-in pre-manufactured parts . . . we soldered the capacitors, diodes, resistors, etc. right onto a blank circuit board, then bolted it into a case. If something went wrong, you knew how to troubleshoot, find the offending part, and just re-solder a good component into place on the circuit board. Those were the days. You can't even buy Heathkits anymore.

01-13-2007, 05:37 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by volosong Quote

Sorry about your frustrations. Reinforces my belief that cameras these days are more of an expendible electronic device than a photographic imaging implement. They don't 'fix' electronics these days . . . they replace them. In a way, sad; but that is the way of the world these days.
in europe it seems to be different. pentax in hamburg/germany always sends out a norification of the repair status by mail. right at the beginning, i had a bad pixel (a red dot on pics). sent it in and they mapped it out. after one year i had a broken flash on my DS. it took them 3 days to repair the flash. quite good. as an additional service free of charge they cleaned the sensor, updated the firmware and cleaned the camera inside and outside. it came back almost like new... no replacement.
01-13-2007, 06:47 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Haven't had any trouble with K10D. It is in the 223*** series. Also have never used the flash! Guess that needs to be changed. Will wait untill K10Ds are more plentiful, in case mine has a problem. Couldn't stand to be without mine now. The DS might enjoy it though.
thanks
barondla
01-13-2007, 07:26 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
How much had both of you used the on-board flash before it failed? Approximate number of shots? I have had mine since two day before Thanksgiving (US) and have nad no problems, but I have only used the pop-up about four times. My ssn is in the 221xxxx range.
My best guess is that I used my flash about 30 times . . . was testing K10D with different lenses. From what I have read, however, the failure does not seem to be tied to usage . . . just luck of the draw and circuitry failure in the bodies with the serial number series of #221n. May never happen with your camera. And, it only affects the flash capability . . . flash up, camera will not fire . . . flash down, everything is fine.

01-13-2007, 07:29 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I would definitely recommend to all K10D owners that they use the pop up flash several times on various occassions to insure they are not defective.
Mine was in the 224xxx series, one not generally considered as problematic, and failed after only a few (less than 20) uses.
The fact that the PentaxImaging website shows only one status - "In Process" while they have the camera makes calling it a "check status of repair" option a joke. If the customer service rep can look it up and tell me that it had been assigned to a tech, and then after his/her analysis determined to need to be replaced, they should be able to put that on the status line.
I was also told that they won't notify me when it's shipped either!!! Neither on the website nor with an email even though they as for both when you send in for repair.
Here's a real opportunity for PentaxImaging to elevate their Customer Satisfaction rating.
Just my two cents worth . . .
01-13-2007, 07:32 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stern Quote
in europe it seems to be different. pentax in hamburg/germany always sends out a norification of the repair status by mail. right at the beginning, i had a bad pixel (a red dot on pics). sent it in and they mapped it out. after one year i had a broken flash on my DS. it took them 3 days to repair the flash. quite good. as an additional service free of charge they cleaned the sensor, updated the firmware and cleaned the camera inside and outside. it came back almost like new... no replacement.
The repair process in Europe certainly seems to be more customer oriented and user-friendly.
However, the problem here is not that the camera has become disposable or the process. Pentax is focused on producing K10D bodies, not parts. Therefore, regardless of where you are in the world, the best path is probably replacement rather than waiting for parts. In fact, the first email string I saw about this on DPR was started by a member in Europe who had received a replacement direct from Pentax.
01-13-2007, 08:05 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Glad to hear you are getting a replacement. I shipped mine back jan. 3 and have'nt heard anything. I was concerned that the power surge in mine may have damaged some circuitry (some of my program options went haywire as well) so I hope they replace mine also. I had my k10 for a while but only took about 12 flash shots to fail, seems like if it doesn't fail right away it'll be ok, I'd still feel better with a external flash.
tom b.
01-13-2007, 08:40 AM   #11
Veteran Member

This is an idea for a poll. Sorry if it takes away from your thread (should I post it?)
01-13-2007, 10:57 AM   #12
Inactive Account

My K10D has been at Pentax Colorado since January 9th. It did not have a bad flash, instead I had trouble with the main switch. If I used either preview mode the camera would shut off, then reboot after releasing the spring loaded switch.

I emailed Pentax after my camera was checked in and asked for a new replacement body. I received an email back that said they don't replace cameras. I would have been up to the selling dealer to replace it. That really was not an option since I had over 2000 shots and had the camera for 33 days.

I wonder if they might use some of the failed cameras as parts queens. In my email I also expressed dismay at receiving a B stock (refurbished) body in return for having purchased a new one.

I am pretty sure that the switch was defective from day one. I simply did not get around to trying all the features. I would recommend that everyone take the time to use as many functions as possible before your dealer replacement option expires.

Brian
01-13-2007, 11:57 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I think if the technician checks all the calibrations and pixels and such it may be better adjusted than one out of the box but of course I've been wrong before.
01-13-2007, 02:15 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Brian,
Give PentaxImaging in Colorado a call at their 800 number for CS. They can look it up and tell you the exact status of your camera. Probe the CSR if you don't get all the info at first, they can see when it was assigned to a tech and what the analysis is. They can also give you the numbers to use in tracking on their website, as worthless as it might be...
01-16-2007, 05:04 PM   #15
Inactive Account

As of three PM Mountain time today, the Pentax web site says the repair is "IN PROCESS". I called and talked to a CSR (3rd or 4th time) and today she had new information. She said my camera would indeed be replaced although could not tell me when a new one would ship out. She also told me that the one year warranty would restart with the new body.

I am pleased with this new
information. I'll look forward to once again having a DSLR in my hands. I really don't have much love for my old P & S.