Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2013, 09:34 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I guess your primary questions should be more around:

1. Focusing (which focuses faster/better - in low light)
2. Are you going to use Video ?
3. Features (battery grip, LCD)
4. Price consideration ?

K-30 and K-5 have the same MP, although I 'think' the K-30 has a more updated image processor, and is supposed to be better at video (I only have K-30).
Would you miss the LCD or battery grip ?

11-14-2013, 10:11 AM   #17
Pentaxian

If it was me, I would take into account that good shots of toddlers can require the shooter to be down on their level (I don't shoot kids much, but the same applies to dogs - who get shot a lot in my world). So, you might want good live view - and that is a big plus for the K30/50. As mentioned in the previous post, you might want to do video on occasion (even if the idea hasn't taken hold now, I suspect those first awkward steps will alter your view of it). Nod again to the K30 because the video format is easier to handle and the sensor will not overheat. I'm not saying the K30 is a better camera overall - but for particular situations it can be preferable.
11-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #18
Veteran Member

The K-50 is on sale... might be a time to take advantage of it.
11-14-2013, 04:43 PM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bcrary3 Quote
Personally, I'd get the K5, the K5II and IIs really isn't worth it in my opinion, and if I remember correctly, the K5 has has no AA filter. (maybe it was the IIs that didn't have the AA filter, I don't remember off hand). From what I read (as I was stuck between the K5 and the IIs) the K5 is better for portraiture, and outdoors work, and the IIs is slightly better indoors; the biggest difference (other than the fancy IIs on the front) is the AF system
Note that the II and IIs will focus in lower light And have the f/2.8 central AF sensor - that's the part of AF imorpvement that perked up my ears compared to my K-5 Classic. Won't help the DA16-45 much I suppose, but the 28-75 and primes could make use of those features.

QuoteOriginally posted by dragnb Quote
The quest ended up with... K5 and DA35 2.4
oops - never mind, the K-5 is excellent and the 35/2.4 should serve you very well.

Last edited by jimr-pdx; 11-14-2013 at 04:58 PM.
11-15-2013, 02:28 AM   #20

Original Poster
Thank you for the replies. The K5 won the race after I tried the K30 also.

First at the time I bought the K5 both came at the same price. Then it came the live view, I was thinking about it but I was convinced fast that I can not use it. If I have a picture on my screen that will draw the child attention immediately.
In this case I shut down the fast review and the focus confirmation beep. In this case is just I rely on the green sign from the focus screen. She comes, looks through the viewfinder, find it boring and go on with her play.
I made all these considerations from the point of view of a guy that stay on the floor and play with child and take pictures at the same time from child level. In the last time I improved the taking pictures from the hipp and without looking in the view finder techniques.

K30 is more noisy when it comes to the shutter noise and in this area won the K5. I do not use the grip and I do not miss it.

What I am considering now is to have a flash without many buttons and no colors. Now I have a Metz 44 and is slightly distracting.
11-16-2013, 06:30 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dragnb Quote
Thank you for the replies. The K5 won the race after I tried the K30 also.

First at the time I bought the K5 both came at the same price. Then it came the live view, I was thinking about it but I was convinced fast that I can not use it. If I have a picture on my screen that will draw the child attention immediately.
In this case I shut down the fast review and the focus confirmation beep. In this case is just I rely on the green sign from the focus screen. She comes, looks through the viewfinder, find it boring and go on with her play.
I made all these considerations from the point of view of a guy that stay on the floor and play with child and take pictures at the same time from child level. In the last time I improved the taking pictures from the hipp and without looking in the view finder techniques.

K30 is more noisy when it comes to the shutter noise and in this area won the K5. I do not use the grip and I do not miss it.

What I am considering now is to have a flash without many buttons and no colors. Now I have a Metz 44 and is slightly distracting.
I have gotten a lot of use out of a cheap yongnou mounted on an iShoot wireless trigger. Point the flash up into the top corner of a room and take pictures in manual, generally settings around ISO 400, f4 - 5.6, 1/125. Good depth of field for mobile kids, plenty of good light as long as you don't shoot into that corner, no blur.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo