Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2013, 08:45 PM   #1

K-5 ii weather resistant sealing failure?

Hey all,

Tonight I was outside shooting some pictures in the rain with my brand new K-5 ii. The rain wasn't too heavy, just a light drizzle, nothing that I was worried about. Anyway, after 15 minutes of shooting, my screen started turning green (at which point I went inside), and a few minutes after that my autofocus stopped working. I am worried that the weather sealing might have failed, although I did not see any water within the lens or the camera (attached was a weather resistant 18-135mm lens). At the moment, both the lens and body are sitting in a mound or rice.

Have any of you ever experienced this before? Is this a fault in my body specifically? Any suggestions?

I should also mention that a red light came on (top right) of the camera body (I don't believe that is normal either).

Thanks for the help, any input would be appreciated.

-yogomo

06-25-2013, 09:45 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Were you shooting in live view or using the viewfinder?
If live view, it could just be that the sensor overheated. The camera shuts off when this happens.
06-26-2013, 04:43 AM   #3

Original Poster
I was shooting with the viewfinder.
06-26-2013, 05:02 AM   #4

Original Poster
So after a night in the rice, here's what is happening. The screen is now working, however it seems as if the software is glitching, the camera will randomly focus itself, and beep, the buttons on the back work sporadically, so I am unable to change aperture, shutter speed or iso without something else happening. Also, the button directly above the "ok" button seems to not work at all.

06-26-2013, 05:24 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Sorry to hear this, I don't have any answers. Just a couple suggestions.

Assuming water is the problem, make sure you remove the battery immediately, and leave it out until it is completely dried out.

I know lots of people like to use rice to dry out electronics, but I prefer to use a fan. I would leave all the covers and ports (like the one covering the microphone input) open, and put it in front of a fan for a few days. Personally, I would also leave the lens mount open, which will certainly allow dust to blow in, but dust is easier/cheaper to clean, than corroded electronics which would be a complete loss.

Good luck!
06-26-2013, 05:33 AM   #6

this also happened to me just this weekend, with my K-30+18-135WR when I was climbing Mt. Amuyao in the Philippines.

mine was attacked by condensation because I didn't acclimate the K-30 to the cold conditions. I turned on my camera after getting it out of my bag, lo and behold, after a few shots there was a lot of condensation inside the LCD edges. I was trying to check it's condition while I was in the camp site.
Symptoms were:
1. Screen flickering, turning on and off,
2. Screen discoloration
3. Unable to change the focus mode using the front switch
4. Random metering

removed the battery and hid it in the bag.

When we got down from the mountain and into the town where it was warmer then when we were in the mountains, the screen then suddenly turned really bright, like giving +70 brightness in the LCD monitor. when we got home a day later, placed it in my dry box, and let rice and silica gel suck out the moisture for a day or two.

I think it's okay now. Most of the symptoms are gone in my initial tests(haven't really done a field test again). No more screen flickering, focus mode switching works, and the brightness has gone back to normal

Hope the rice trick works in your case..
06-26-2013, 12:10 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the input everyone, I just dropped it off at the Pentax national repair centre and the technicians mentioned that water probably trickled through one of the buttons (they are the least protected). Anyway, they are taking a look and hopefully I will get it back by the end of the week.

The lesson learned from all this, try to keep the k-5 ii (and also the k-30) out of the rain, because the buttons may contain defects and are not as weather sealed as they claim.
06-26-2013, 08:56 PM   #8

I've been shooting with the K-30 and 18-135WR in the rain a couple of times now though. You might've had a faulty seals sadly. In my experience I learnt that WR =/= Condensation proof lol.

06-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yogomo Quote
The lesson learned from all this, try to keep the k-5 ii (and also the k-30) out of the rain, because the buttons may contain defects and are not as weather sealed as they claim.
This I think is the point.
I've had my K20D and 60-250 in a heavy thunderstorm...got soaked and had no issues. Canikon users at the time were hiding under plastic bags
I don't think they test water resistance when it leaves the factory
06-27-2013, 01:51 PM   #10

What have we learned today? After buying a camera out of the box, test it sealing immediately under the shower. I am not sure if it will void the warranty or not.