Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2013, 08:25 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
If you haven't already committed to a camera, you might want to check out amazon.com. I've always found good prices and dependable sellers. That's where I got my K30. I just looked, punched k30 into the search bar, the 1st listing for a K30 is $491 body only. Mine was around $600 six months ago with 18-55 kit lens, non WR. I didn't look for kits, but do some looking before you commit.

Also keep an eye on the online auctions for lenses. I've seen nifty fifties for $20 and occasionally less. The f2 version is not all that popular, but I have 2 and both do quite well. I do like the f1.7 and f1.4 lenses better, but a 50mm f2 will get the job done, and mine both get very good shots. I think it's actually an under rated lens. I did some walking around with one of mine today in fact, just to use it a little and see what the K30 will do with it. I still haven't transferred to the computer yet, I don't do that till evening, but I have little doubt I'll have some cool shots. No matter what, a 50mm should definitely be in your bag...If you can find one at a good price, go for a f1.7 or f1.4, but I wouldn't hesitate to grab a f2 if I lost every lens I have tomorrow...
+1 on Amazon. I got my two lens kit from a seller called Electronics Basket through Amazon. Keep your eyes peeled, especially with the K-50 and K-500 just being released. Prices should come down!

06-27-2013, 08:47 AM   #17

Original Poster
I use Amazon a ton for pretty much everything, but for some reason the prices on Cameras seem to be significantly higher than what I am finding elsewhere. I am in Canada, however, and the american Amazon(.com) does have great prices - but then I have to pay higher shipping costs which pretty much offsets it.

I've got a bid on an ebay auction from prodigital right now that expires in a few hours, so if that goes through Ill have my new camera. Fingers crossed!

Love the pictures by the way guys, makes me very excited to see what I can come up with myself.
06-27-2013, 09:01 AM   #18

Out of

30 million K mounts manufactured there probably 20 million still working. Out of that there may be ten percent available at any one time. So if you need several then your chances of getting one are pretty good.
06-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #19
Site Supporter

I'm a little late to the party, but still wanted to "+1" on the 18-135. It is a very versatile lens, which bridges the 50-70mm cutoff of most dual-lens setups. The ability to use and carry one lens, as opposed to having to carry a second lens for just a little extra telephoto range, is a worthwhile tradeoff.

And the K-30 is a great deal at the moment, as you have discovered.

06-27-2013, 06:39 PM   #20

Original Poster
Picked up a K-30 + 18-135mm kit today, just wanted to thank everyone for their recommendations! I think I will be much happier with the 18-135 lens, and it will get much use for years to come.
06-28-2013, 10:45 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Soybomb Quote
Picked up a K-30 + 18-135mm kit today, just wanted to thank everyone for their recommendations! I think I will be much happier with the 18-135 lens, and it will get much use for years to come.
Congratulations! What a nice camera to start with.
I started with a K-x, and still use it as my main camera. Of all the lenses I tried (2 or 3 dozens), I really enjoy my DA 35mm 2.4 AL for those indoors family parties/gatherings where light is an issue. The lens is small, focus quickly and will produce very good result in terms of sharpness and color (bokeh too). Also, for long reach outdoor shooting, like sports, animals and such, I really think you can't beat the price/performance ratio of the DA 55-300mm AL. It's the one with the plastic mount, which is usually 100 $ less than the metal mount one and although it has it's shortcoming (no quickshift (manual focus overwrite when in AF mode)), it still performs admirably.
If I were you, I would consider either a prime, like the 35mm or the 50mm, or the 55-300mm for those longer shots. You just need to find what your needs are. Considering you mentioned family as your main subjects, I would probably go with a prime though.

Keep us posted on your venture with your new toy! (I also purchase from prodigital2000, great guys).
06-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #22

Original Poster
Awesome. A prime is definitely next on my list. Probably the 35. So far, the 18-135 is producing some great pictures. Im looking forward to the first nice day to get really get out and do some shooting.