Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2013, 08:37 AM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Yes, and you see them holding the things at arm's length, rather than holding them close and using their arms up against their body for more stability.

Kind of like when mP3's took over music. The Lemmings simply sucked it all in and either pretended that they didn't notice the crappy quality. or really didn't now any better.

That's a great story Miss Kelly. Always nice when one can demonstrate that Pentax gear is just as good and even has features that set it above the "other" stuff.

I wonder if Mr. Nikon clued in Mr. Cannon later on?

For me, I rarely see other photographers out shooting. What I experience is when the camera shooters see me taking pictures and they ask me if I am a professional. I make no effort to conceal the brand of my gear, something that they fail to notice. Often the comment is something like, "Wow! Nice camera!", or, "Wow, I bet that cost a lot of money!"

I just smile and continue shooting.
All this reminds me of last summer when I went to a wedding with my three week old K-30 and 18-135WR. It was an outdoor wedding with on a hot sunny August day, not a cloud in the sky. Conditions were very difficult with the harsh lighting. I got an aisle seat and took quite a few pictures of the wedding party as they entered and left, and of the ceremony between. I noticed the hired "pro" that were running around with their Canons shooting away with their lens hoods reversed. I put all of my photos on a couple DVDs and gave it to the couple a few weeks later. They were really happy to get my photos and really liked them, a lot more than the ones from the "pros". I'm not saying that just because my camera is a Pentax the photos were better. It's just a kind of humorous story that relates here. There seems to be a lot of people that go out and buy a Rebel and think they are a pro without any experience at all, and it's just funny to sit and watch them, and really funny when you hear them giving advice to people that know as much or more than they do.

06-29-2013, 08:43 AM   #32
Pentaxian

I've seen the Q in retail stores a couple of times, Target I think but that's about it. No DSLR presence at all. I had to order mine online without being able to see it and handle it, see how it felt etc. Ditto for both K-x and K30...

So far I haven't seen another Pentax out in the wild, just mine and so far have only gotten one instance that wasn't positive. One fellow asked me to let him handle my K-x, I did, he was a long time photographer, knew his stuff and was carrying a Canon, he seemed to be pretty impressed, especially after seeing some of my printed K-x shots I carried in a photo album. He didn't say a lot, but he did say he liked the way it felt.

Another girl I met at the same place, also carrying a Canon was talking to me, seemed interested in talking photography until I noticed her leaning over to see WHAT camera I was carrying...all of a sudden she wasn't interested any more...ok, see ya...

The only time I've seen any negative comments was on a photography print on demand site where I have a lot of my shots up for sale, in one of the discussions someone asked what camera, and of course I recommended Pentax as usual. (specifically the K30, it was in her price range) The next guy to post started with "If you're thinking professional, it's Canon or Nikon". (not an exact quote but very close). I left it alone...

I think boriscleto pretty much described it. I think Pentax has just not been as visible to the general public as Canon and Nikon. You pick up a photography magazine, what ads do you see? Canon and Nikon all over the place, usually not a Pentax ad in sight. Ditto for websites. Until I did some searching for cameras, Pentax almost never showed up in ads, then once i did a few searches, the typical "targeted advertising" scenario kicked in and I started getting Pentax ads on every webpage I saw. Still do. But what do I need Pentax ads for? I already have one...several actually, and have no intention of changing that any time soon, especially since Minolta not only no longer makes cameras, but sold out to Sony. after fixing too many computers with the rootkit Sony put on their music CDs I hate Sony, don't trust them and will not touch anything with their name on it.

I've been telling people online any time they ask, definitely consider Pentax. But usually the overwhelming response is nikon or canon from all corners, usually just ignoring any comments about Pentax, they assume I don't know what I'm talking about I guess..

So I think it's two things actually, Pentax is not visible, and a whole lot of people are really uninformed...

When I started looking around before buying the K-x, I checked out what was available. I picked up the Canon in my price range, put it down in about 10 seconds, it felt like cheap plastic. Lenses too expensive, move on. Nikon felt better, but lenses again too expensive, and neither seemed to be able to handle older glass, which I already had, easily while Pentax K-x got reviews saying it was the best entry level DSLR going and would handle older lenses with ease. Add to that good high ISO performance and AA batteries...it was a no brainer...I just don't understand why people see you with Pentax and write you off as someone who is clueless about photography...I guess most of these people have forgotten that the Spotmatic was the #1 choice of professionals for around 20 years...
06-29-2013, 08:50 AM   #33
Banned

I think if Pentax came out with a DSLR in 1999 or 2000 like Canon and Nikon they would have had a better shot at a larger DSLR market share today.
06-29-2013, 09:10 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
All this reminds me of last summer when I went to a wedding with my three week old K-30 and 18-135WR. It was an outdoor wedding with on a hot sunny August day, not a cloud in the sky. Conditions were very difficult with the harsh lighting. I got an aisle seat and took quite a few pictures of the wedding party as they entered and left, and of the ceremony between. I noticed the hired "pro" that were running around with their Canons shooting away with their lens hoods reversed. I put all of my photos on a couple DVDs and gave it to the couple a few weeks later. They were really happy to get my photos and really liked them, a lot more than the ones from the "pros". I'm not saying that just because my camera is a Pentax the photos were better. It's just a kind of humorous story that relates here. There seems to be a lot of people that go out and buy a Rebel and think they are a pro without any experience at all, and it's just funny to sit and watch them, and really funny when you hear them giving advice to people that know as much or more than they do.
This reminds me so many times of similar situations that I have been into friends wedding. Why in the world a pro photog shooting in bright daylight with the hood in a reversed position? And usually I can tell much experience the photog has (not by his camera) but by the spot where he/she chooses for the family-group photos. I think the habit of shooting with the hood in reversed position may has something to do with Canikon kit lens that does not come with hood; they have getting used to shoot without hood anyway.

06-29-2013, 12:41 PM   #35
Site Supporter

I see Pentax "in the wild" fairly frequently here in the Portland area. The full line is on the shelf in at least one local brick and mortar store (Camera World) and I saw a K30 on the shelf at a local Costco last month. I talked with the clerk at Camera World and he was enthusiastic about his Pentax cameras and mentioned that he was a K20D owner himself.

All that being said, I have to admit that one is probably more likely to see a Pentax film camera on the street around here as a Pentax digital camera.

Steve
06-29-2013, 03:30 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have to admit that one is probably more likely to see a Pentax film camera on the street around here as a Pentax digital camera.
Interesting. The Vancouver (BC) Craigslist seems to regularly list an abundance of Pentax items, more than I see in other cities. Maybe it's a west coast phenomenon?
06-29-2013, 04:36 PM   #37
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Interesting. The Vancouver (BC) Craigslist seems to regularly list an abundance of Pentax items, more than I see in other cities. Maybe it's a west coast phenomenon?
It is hard to say. This site has a number of members in the "other" Vancouver (BC, to the north). Perhaps they are to blame

Steve
06-29-2013, 04:57 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Canon absolutely dominates the DSLR camera market....then Nikon. Lot's of these cameras.

In my area Pentax is probably relatively even with Sony....then of course Olympus is at the tail end.

06-29-2013, 10:35 PM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
There seems to be a lot of people that go out and buy a Rebel and think they are a pro without any experience at all, and it's just funny to sit and watch them, and really funny when you hear them giving advice to people that know as much or more than they do.
Exactly!
06-29-2013, 11:04 PM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It is hard to say. This site has a number of members in the "other" Vancouver (BC, to the north). Perhaps they are to blame

Steve
Back in the film days, the London Drugs' (local chain store in BC & AB) camera head buyer was a big Pentax fan, and brought in a lot of gear from them.

They usually did and still do have well trained, fair minded salesman, and the product actually in the stores, Therefore people buy them and continue to buy them (at least in LD's case). They are a leader in the Camera market here, so I think others just followed suit. Places like Kerrisdale cameras -- got many used lenses there.