Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2013, 08:43 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Well I've Decided...no more

No more "The grass is greener" talk for me. I've shot 3 events for Seattle Business Magazine with 2 other photographers using 2 7Ds and and T4i. After all 3 events, my percentage of keepers were much higher than the other photographers. Mine are sharper with much better focus accuracy. If I sound a little cocky please forgive me but I am so proud of how my camera worked. It was fast, accurate, with great colors and image quality.

What was I using? My 5 year old K200D with a DA* 16-50mm F2.8 and AF540 flash. For longer shots I used my DA* 50-135mm F2.8. That lens was just as good, if not better, than the 70-200mm F4 L the other photographer was using. The 3rd photographer used good quality Canon primes for a lot of his shots and my K200D combo still held it's own.

When I get the K5IIs, that should be sooo much better.

If you are wondering about comparison samples, I'm not going to share them as I don't want to embarrass the Canon guys who I shoot with.

**My photos were edited by the lead photographer**

K200D ISO 800

K200D ISO 400

K200D ISO 400

Last edited by john5100; 06-28-2013 at 08:50 PM.
06-28-2013, 08:49 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
No more "The grass is greener" talk for me. I've shot 3 events for Seattle Business Magazine with 2 other photographers using 2 7Ds and and T4i. After all 3 events, my percentage of keepers were much higher than the other photographers. Mine are sharper with much better focus accuracy.

What was I using? My 5 year old K200D with a DA* 16-50mm F2.8 and AF540 flash. For longer shots I used my DA* 50-135mm F2.8 and that was just as good, if not better, than the 70-200mm F4 L the other photographer was using. The 3rd photographer used a prime for a lot of his shots and my K200D combo still held it's own.

Congrats for the success; it is the person behind the camera that matters the most, the camera is just a tool.
06-28-2013, 09:28 PM   #3

John, its nice that you give the camera credit but you the man!
06-28-2013, 09:29 PM   #4
Site Supporter

No more "The grass is greener" talk for me. I've shot 3 events for Seattle Business Magazine with 2 other photographers using 2 7Ds and and T4i. After all 3 events, my percentage of keepers were much higher than the other photographers. Mine are sharper with much better focus accuracy. If I sound a little cocky please forgive me but I am so proud of how my camera worked. It was fast, accurate, with great colors and image quality.

What was I using? My 5 year old K200D with a DA* 16-50mm F2.8 and AF540 flash. For longer shots I used my DA* 50-135mm F2.8. That lens was just as good, if not better, than the 70-200mm F4 L the other photographer was using. The 3rd photographer used good quality Canon primes for a lot of his shots and my K200D combo still held it's own.
Well done John!

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Congrats for the success; it is the person behind the camera that matters the most, the camera is just a tool.
Many times the tool is behind the camera

06-29-2013, 12:31 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Congrats on the photos!

The K-5 IIs will not be sooo much better. The K-5 IIs is my main camera, and the K-5 is its backup, but the K200D is still the better camera for some shooting situations.

The K-5 IIs is very good, but hang on to the K200D as well. Even the K-5 doesn't yield the nice color rendition of the K200D, and the IIs is noticeably weaker than the K-5 (or K-5 II) in this department. But the II/IIs does have improved SR (by 1 stop), great low-light capability, and excellent dynamic range and latitude when editing raw files (such as bringing back details or rescuing poor exposure). And the AF finally performs about like you expect it should. But despite the slightly weaker colors, the IIs still gives me some noticeable IQ advantages over the K-5 or II, so it's normally the first camera I grab (with a DA*16-50 if I don't know what to expect).

While I'd rather shoot with primes when I can, the DA*16-50 and 50-135 are fantastic all-around lenses. The K200D is a great match with those 2 DA* zooms. It also seems to give the best results with my MF lenses. It takes sharp photos and that CCD sensor gives it that extra edge in color output. I'm sure your talent was the most important factor, but the K200D and the fine Tokina-made glass you used gave you an unfair advantage!

Last edited by DSims; 06-29-2013 at 12:39 AM.
06-29-2013, 02:09 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well the K200D was an excellent camera.
06-29-2013, 02:47 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Congrats & well done ... J
06-29-2013, 07:06 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Congratulations.

I'm curious, at an event like this where you have to grab shots quickly, can you briefly describe your "press" settup and approach? Do you use a flash bracket? Do you use P-TTL or A on the flash (I have a nephew that squints as soon as the preflash fires). Did you shoot these in P, Av, etc? Do you use center point focus and recompose for the shots with two heads? I gave up on letting the camera decide what focus point, but it may work better for these kind of headshots, I don't know.

TFS.

06-29-2013, 07:13 AM   #9

Good job! Couple of q.: did you use any flash duffuser or reflector? How did you sync your flash?
06-29-2013, 09:54 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hey guys, thank you so much for the support and for your comments. I have used my KX too but the K200d seems to work a little better in this setting. Since I'm using a flash I don't need the low light ability of the KX. The KX is my concert camera where it kicks butt.

This was an award ceremony for the Top 100 companies to work for in Washington State. Given that it was an awards ceremony, they started with a cocktail hour, then dinner, and finally the awards (on a stage) with guest speakers. These 3 photos are from the cocktail hour which is very fluid with people wandering around talking. (Actually the first one is during dinner)

My camera set up was as follows:

* Flash in the hot shoe (don't have a sync cable yet)
* STO-FEN Bounce defusor
* Camera set to Manual at F5.6, ISO 400 and varying the shutter speed for correct exposure
* Center (not spot) metering (the manual setting really takes the worry out of this though)
* Single point focus where I can move it around to focus on a particular subject.

I chose F5.6 to get everyone in focus but the soften the background a little to isolate the subject. For larger groups I used F9 to make sure that they were all in focus. I also give the subject a little direction to make the photo look a little better.

Here is one from a previous event. I was 50-60 feet from the stage where I used my KX and DA 50-200mm at ISO 3200 and no flash. I was experimenting with this lens to see if it would work and it did. My DA* 50-135mm is much better though.

* you will see artifacting in this photo but that's how the editor cropped it

Last edited by john5100; 06-29-2013 at 10:13 AM.