Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2013, 08:49 PM   #1

My *istDS won't take pictures.

I have a *ist DS camera fitted with an SMC Pentax DA 18-55 mm lens. Lately it has not been taking pictures in AF mode. I press the shutter release and nothing happens: no focusing, no shutter release, no picture. I've tried resetting custom functions, but that didn't help. It does take pictures in MF mode, so I know the shutter is working. I've tried permitting "Using Aperture Ring" in the Custom Settings, (after googling for some ideas) but that didn't help. Anyone know what's going on?

06-30-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Check- I just tried this on my ist ds which is working normally
When you have the DA lens on, set it to min focus distance ( 0.25 m) , and the MF/AF in AF,
Aim at some well lit object at least 2000mm away. Gently half press the shutter button.
You should hear the screw drive racking to focus and the green square should come on when focussed in about 0.5 second
06-30-2013, 09:31 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Check- I just tried this on my ist ds which is working normally
When you have the DA lens on, set it to min focus distance ( 0.25 m) , and the MF/AF in AF,
Aim at some well lit object at least 2000mm away. Gently half press the shutter button.
You should hear the screw drive racking to focus and the green square should come on when focussed in about 0.5 second
Thanks for the reply. I tried what you said, and nothing happened: no screw drive racking sound, no focus, no green square.
06-30-2013, 09:58 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you try cleaning the contacts on the camera body and the lens? Do you have another AF lens you can test?

06-30-2013, 10:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarioMilo Quote
Thanks for the reply. I tried what you said, and nothing happened: no screw drive racking sound, no focus, no green square.
Also, Take the lens off, and move the AF/MF switch. You should see the little screwdriver pop out from the mount when set to AF. If it does not there may be something wroung with the mechanism to raise the screwdriver in the camera.

If the screwdriver does pop out it may not be properly engaging the socket in the lens. See if you can turn the socket on the lens with a small screwdriver.

Regards

Chris
06-30-2013, 11:08 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Did you try cleaning the contacts on the camera body and the lens? Do you have another AF lens you can test?
I rubbed the contacts with a soft cloth and now it's working. Great tip. Thanks!
06-30-2013, 11:10 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by seventhdr Quote
Also, Take the lens off, and move the AF/MF switch. You should see the little screwdriver pop out from the mount when set to AF. If it does not there may be something wroung with the mechanism to raise the screwdriver in the camera.

If the screwdriver does pop out it may not be properly engaging the socket in the lens. See if you can turn the socket on the lens with a small screwdriver.

Regards

Chris
Thanks for your reply. The little screwdriver was working perfectly. Turned out the contacts needed cleaning.
07-01-2013, 05:28 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Good news!
Enjoy you ist ds !
Actually I like the images I get from this camera. ist ds seems to give more realistic colors and clarity than from my K-01.

07-01-2013, 06:10 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Good news!
Enjoy you ist ds !
Actually I like the images I get from this camera. ist ds seems to give more realistic colors and clarity than from my K-01.
I've always been happy with the camera and the pictures. Never regretted buying the *ist DS.
10-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Hello. My ist ds's back screen is completely blank (white). I've been wondering if I'd be able to access camera settings using the video cable (the one one would use to view pictures on a tv set) or does it only show the pictures. I'm asking you this so I don't buy the cable (I've lost the original) only to find it doesn't display settings. Any help much appreciated.
I thought I'd change some settings but also maybe firmware upgrade could sort out the screen?