Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How Old Is Old?
I have a K10 still use it and don't consider it old dirt is old 3041.67%
I have a K10 Adam please make a subforum for it to hold a prestigous place among the K5, etc. 912.50%
I have a K10 it collects dust on the shelf next to the Ansel Adams camera I got off of eBay 45.56%
I can not bear to have anything as ancient as a K10 1520.83%
If Pentax doesn't come out with a replacement for the K5IIs soon I think I'll go mad! 912.50%
What's a digital camera? 1520.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2013, 05:54 PM   #61
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
pola roid?
Speaking of roids. English is a funny language, isn't it? Why is it that asteroids occur in both hemispheres, but hemmorhoids occur in, well, never mind.

07-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #62

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
nope...
4x5 or 8x10 view?
07-04-2013, 04:19 AM - 1 Like   #63
Site Supporter

When I buy a camera, the one I had before becomes my old camera, and the one I just bought is my new camera... unless I sold my old camera to buy my new one, then I don't have the old camera, just the new one. Now my head hurts!

My oldest camera is a 1937 Leica IIIa, and it's the only one in my collection that's older than I am. But I'm not "old" yet, though my body would disagree.
07-06-2013, 12:34 AM   #64
Forum Member

This is a great thread!

Like most, I bought my K5 new. The salesperson adviced me on the newest lenses, modern sensors, ultra fast memory cards, new technology... Feeling the pain in my wallet I stuck to the two WR kit lenses and looked on internet to see what (second hand) stuff there was.

I am very exited to find out that 40 year old lenses fit to this ultra modern camera without any problem.

07-06-2013, 10:07 AM   #65

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohntheThird Quote
This is a great thread!
Thank you!

Like most, I bought my K5 new. The salesperson adviced me on the newest lenses, modern sensors, ultra fast memory cards, new technology... Feeling the pain in my wallet I stuck to the two WR kit lenses and looked on internet to see what (second hand) stuff there was.
For many I think this is the avenue that is most traveled.

I am very exited to find out that 40 year old lenses fit to this ultra modern camera without any problem.
Probably the coolest thing about Pentax and the K mount system. And in many cases the older glass is superior, or at least considered so by a multitude of photography enthusiasts.

Even the Canikon crowd.
07-06-2013, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #66

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Speaking of roids. English is a funny language, isn't it? Why is it that asteroids occur in both hemispheres, but hemmorhoids occur in, well, never mind.
Hemi?

07-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Bearing in mind that I like old and that I do still intentionally shoot with a Spottie sometimes all cams past about 5 years are old to me. Film SLR's are vintage to antique unless you're talking about the plastic wonders that came out late 80's and from then on. A Spottie from the 60's is technically antique now. The criteria for that is anything post 1977 is vintage, pre that is antique. That's how the antiques market quantifies things that are older. Now in my mind a Spottie is more vintage, a box plate camera is antique, but I also recognize that even as I sit here aging that designation of antique is becoming more true. By my actual age I'm vintage now and my SLR's are older than I am, laugh. My niece's *ist is usable for personal pics. It is not however new enough that I could shoot professionally with it. The K-x covers that okay, the K-7 a bit better. But I would not want anything much older for work.
07-06-2013, 06:18 PM   #68

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Bearing in mind that I like old and that I do still intentionally shoot with a Spottie sometimes all cams past about 5 years are old to me. Film SLR's are vintage to antique unless you're talking about the plastic wonders that came out late 80's and from then on. A Spottie from the 60's is technically antique now. The criteria for that is anything post 1977 is vintage, pre that is antique. That's how the antiques market quantifies things that are older. Now in my mind a Spottie is more vintage, a box plate camera is antique, but I also recognize that even as I sit here aging that designation of antique is becoming more true. By my actual age I'm vintage now and my SLR's are older than I am, laugh. My niece's *ist is usable for personal pics. It is not however new enough that I could shoot professionally with it. The K-x covers that okay, the K-7 a bit better. But I would not want anything much older for work.
Great perspective Mag!

07-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #69

By your description, I am an antique and I am afraid my body agrees with you.
Does that mean my "body" could not be used for professional use?
07-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #70
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
We all speak English
Not all of us admit to that, some of us speak Scots. But don't worry scratchpaddy has a translator.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/57652-scratchpaddy/albums/6498-ra...cture62033.jpg

07-07-2013, 02:24 PM   #71

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Not all of us admit to that, some of us speak Scots. But don't worry scratchpaddy has a translator.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/members/57652-scratchpaddy/albums/6498-ra...cture62033.jpg

Och aye mah mukker, Ah am descended frae th' Scots. oan mah faither's side, way back abit thee ur fuir generations. Mah grandmother used tae teel me 'at Ah hae rich relati'es in Scootlund fa hae castles, but they likely huvnae a scooby as tae mah existence!

Oh, an' Ah troost Ah foond th' proper translatur, sae Ah dornt bam up callin' ye some bad names ur somethin'!

Och aye, fur sure, screwin' up a translation coods possibly leid tae a messy misunderstandin', eh?

Anyway, Ah troost ye ur havin' a stoat summer, thaur in th' Scottish Highlands!
07-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Old Man Quote
By your description, I am an antique and I am afraid my body agrees with you.
Does that mean my "body" could not be used for professional use?
Speaking as someone who's body is definitely in the vintage to going antique category I must admit sometimes I have reservations on that score myself. My body definitely is not as capable of taking abuse as it used to be, laugh. I am doing professional work and really paying for it after, but to be fair that's not just age that's injury and chronic illness taking it's toll too.

Don't laugh but I never schedule more than one shoot in a day. It can not last for more than 2 1/2 hours and I always have to have a recovery day between shoots. If you had told me that I would have to do that when I was 30 I would have laughed at you. I used to manage 2 stores, and go to school f/t and date and I thought nothing of doing that. These days I'd probably kill myself taking on a job as a retail sales clerk, no kidding, and I don't have the energy to both do my work and date. So my social life, what little there is of it, that takes a complete backseat to my photo shoots.

Getting older just plain sucks. If I have one regret about my youth it is that I took my health totally for granted for way too long. I should have taken far better care of my "equipment" as it were. In my teens, twenties and even thirties I treated my body like I was practically immortal. I did exercise and try to eat right sometimes but I could have done far better and if I had maybe I'd not be in the shape I am now. I am really working on that. Eating a lot better, exercising more, trying to live a healthier life, but you can only turn back the clock so much, sigh...
07-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote

Och aye mah mukker, Ah am descended frae th' Scots. oan mah faither's side, way back abit thee ur fuir generations. Mah grandmother used tae teel me 'at Ah hae rich relati'es in Scootlund fa hae castles, but they likely huvnae a scooby as tae mah existence!

Oh, an' Ah troost Ah foond th' proper translatur, sae Ah dornt bam up callin' ye some bad names ur somethin'!

Och aye, fur sure, screwin' up a translation coods possibly leid tae a messy misunderstandin', eh?

Anyway, Ah troost ye ur havin' a stoat summer, thaur in th' Scottish Highlands!
The really scary part is I understood every single word of that. :P I'm part Scot by lineage. Scot and lots of Irish too. Also there's some Romany and Austrian. (Strange combo huh?) I've never been to Scotland but it's on my "must see before I die" list of places I want to go. But obviously there must be some genetic component to understanding this because I got the jist of all that just fine, lol...
07-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #74

Original Poster
The really scary part is I understood every single word of that. :P I'm part Scot by lineage. Scot and lots of Irish too. Also there's some Romany and Austrian. (Strange combo huh?) I've never been to Scotland but it's on my "must see before I die" list of places I want to go. But obviously there must be some genetic component to understanding this because I got the jist of all that just fine, lol...

Aye lass, it surely main be th' genes! Dornt frit tay much 'at yer bluid isnae pure Scots, thaur arenae mony left anymair. When uir ancestors cam athwart an' settled North America, they mixed it up bonnie weel.

Mrs. Racer is mostly Norwegian, e'en reids an' speaks some. But she also has German, Dutch, Sassenach an' Irish. Sometimes Ah hink th' Irish is mair prevalent, as she can be a bit headstrang sometimes. Mostly th' norwegian shines ben thocht, an' gi'es 'er a braw, e'en temperament!
07-08-2013, 02:57 AM   #75
Loyal Site Supporter

You will see from my sig line that I am a proud Spotmatic owner and a proud K10D owner. I skipped all those K-mount film cameras because my Spotmatics worked just fine and, despite their age, they still do as they have been appropriately serviced. When Pentax finally produced a 10MP digital camera with specs that met my criteria, I bought one. My K10D still produces excellent images and I have learnt how to get the best out of it. Sure, a new K-5 is probably capable of producing better images but I am a retired person and I don't have the luxury of being able to go out and buy the latest and greatest when it comes along. But I don't feel deprived because my K10D still gives me great pleasure. Have a look at my Flickr images.

So, age is a very relative term. My Spotties and my K10D might be old in some people's eyes but I have cared for them and they still are still WAD (Working As Designed) and that is what counts for me. I'm on the wrong side of 70 and, because I have looked after my body, it still works pretty well also. I don't intend getting old.