Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How Old Is Old?
I have a K10 still use it and don't consider it old dirt is old 3041.67%
I have a K10 Adam please make a subforum for it to hold a prestigous place among the K5, etc. 912.50%
I have a K10 it collects dust on the shelf next to the Ansel Adams camera I got off of eBay 45.56%
I can not bear to have anything as ancient as a K10 1520.83%
If Pentax doesn't come out with a replacement for the K5IIs soon I think I'll go mad! 912.50%
What's a digital camera? 1520.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
07-08-2013, 11:28 AM - 1 Like   #76
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My 2004 Subaru is still new new car.
It is as it is 6 years newer than my newest car (RAV4) and 16 newer than my daily driver (SAAB 900).

I think old is defineity dependent on the type of camera. My main view camera is about a dozen years old and my other ones about 100. A note on view cameras is there have been new companies started in the last decade or so therefore even their oldest camera is relatively new. I think today 3 generations or more is old for a digital camera. My wife replaced her K10D after she dropped it and the AF quit working. 5 years ago 2 generations old would do it. I certainly do not think either my K-r with only about 21K shoots on it or my 1986 Hasselblad are old cameras.

But then we life as well as we do because we replace things when they need to not just to stay current with technology. Last year my house turned 100. Age is dependent on the technology of the item or for us how we act When I had my Brittany Spaniels and they would have been about 8 years old at the time a lady came up to me and asked me how big would they get when they grew up.

Milk and bread on the other hand get old really quick.

07-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #77
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
It is as it is 6 years newer than my newest car (RAV4) and 16 newer than my daily driver (SAAB 900).
You can't kill a Saab 900 with the backwards DOHC 2.0! They are ugly, but dependable. I had one.
07-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #78
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Wow. The 4x5 and 8x10 stuff is spendy!
There is cheaper stuff out there, some much much cheaper.

Think thought that a dozen shoots is a very busy day, the larger the format the less one shoots.

The cheapest part of photography still is the film and with LF one only needs to upgrade when moving up to an even larger format. You can get by using the same camera for all your life. Apparently in reading the rumours threads, using the same digital camera for more than one year is damaging to your health

Ilford just did their annual special order run so those shooting 7X17,8X20 or 20X24 can buy more film. Those formats make 4X5 seem very reasonable
07-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #79
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
You can't kill a Saab 900 with the backwards DOHC 2.0! They are ugly, but dependable. I had one.
I have had 900 hatchbacks since 1990 with the exception of two years with a BMW 633. Not sure why anyone with the good taste to use a Pentax would call the SAAB ugly. The sedans though I would agree.

07-08-2013, 11:54 AM   #80
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Mine (hatchback) was missing paint, had rust, dents, and was ugly as sin! It had by far the easiest clutch change I've ever done. It also felt huge inside. Makes me want to see if I can find one for 500 bucks as a weird project car...
07-08-2013, 04:59 PM   #81
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Racer I think you will get the reference and probably a kick out of this so I'm going to show you my favorite jacket. Not my pic but I wear this jacket all the time. I have two of them, the leather one and the denim one. When I finally go over there I think I am going to take the denim one with me just for fun. I've always wanted to do that. Stand on a hill overlooking a loch in a Highlander jacket. Can't take my sword on the plane but at least I can take my jacket, lol...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-62Blw2AuVBY/Tn9o2Nac52I/AAAAAAAAHKU/QJk4mK4s1Yw/s1600/highlander.JPG
07-09-2013, 08:20 AM   #82
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
You will see from my sig line that I am a proud Spotmatic owner and a proud K10D owner. I skipped all those K-mount film cameras because my Spotmatics worked just fine and, despite their age, they still do as they have been appropriately serviced. When Pentax finally produced a 10MP digital camera with specs that met my criteria, I bought one. My K10D still produces excellent images and I have learnt how to get the best out of it. Sure, a new K-5 is probably capable of producing better images but I am a retired person and I don't have the luxury of being able to go out and buy the latest and greatest when it comes along. But I don't feel deprived because my K10D still gives me great pleasure. Have a look at my Flickr images.

So, age is a very relative term. My Spotties and my K10D might be old in some people's eyes but I have cared for them and they still are still WAD (Working As Designed) and that is what counts for me. I'm on the wrong side of 70 and, because I have looked after my body, it still works pretty well also. I don't intend getting old.
I checked out your Flickr stream Ray. Some very nice shots. I especially liked the cars. Most enjoyable!

07-09-2013, 08:21 AM   #83
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Racer I think you will get the reference and probably a kick out of this so I'm going to show you my favorite jacket. Not my pic but I wear this jacket all the time. I have two of them, the leather one and the denim one. When I finally go over there I think I am going to take the denim one with me just for fun. I've always wanted to do that. Stand on a hill overlooking a loch in a Highlander jacket. Can't take my sword on the plane but at least I can take my jacket, lol...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-62Blw2AuVBY/Tn9o2Nac52I/AAAAAAAAHKU/QJk4mK4s1Yw/s1600/highlander.JPG
Oh yes!

There can be only one!

(I really liked those movies, have seen every one several times!)
07-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #84
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I really liked those movies, have seen every one several times!
Still think the first movie was the best, but for the life of me, why get Christophe Guy Denis "Christopher" Lambert an American-born French actor to play the lead role!!!

I could have made myself available for the part.
07-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #85
Veteran Member

There is only one Connor and that IS Lambert. I like Duncan and both the HL series too but Connor is THE Highlander so far as I am concerned. I liked 1 and 3. I consider 2 an abomination to be ignored no matter how many times they cut it. I think Endgame was pretty dumb. In particular the part where Duncan cut off Connor's head. As IF that would ever happen. Connor would kick his butt, sorry, but he WOULD, and I just don't buy that Duncan could beat him. He beat the KURGAN. He could beat Duncan with one hand tied behind his back. Duncan is good, but he ain't THAT good.

Duncan getting to win as a method of passing the torch was just LAME. Nobody liked it. To be fair the film is almost watchable because of the sublime presence of Peter Wingfield as Methos finally on the big screen but that's definitely almost, and only because he's in it. The Source, well that was the film that killed the whole franchise for me finally die hard HL fan that I am. That was just f-in horrible, and even my beloved Methos being in it couldn't save that one! It STUNK, not as bad maybe as HL2 stunk, but pretty darned close!

They're supposedly relaunching the whole thing again with a remake of the first film but I am very unhappy with them for that. There are just some movies that don't need to be remade damn it! First they remake Psycho, as if anyone ever needs to remake a Hitchcock film? Then Nightmare on Elm Street, then Fright Night, sometimes I just want to bit- slap the people who decide these things, I really do! I don't want a new HL movie. It's done. Dead and buried, they killed it. They should just leave us HL fans alone with the few good memories we have left.

I love Winfield and Byrnes. They had a major Bromance thing. I always wanted Methos and Joe to have their own Watcher series actually. I would have really liked to have seen that but no, Miss Amanda got her own show that only lasted one season and flopped and we never did get to see that one. Pity. It would have been too funny!
07-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #86
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Still think the first movie was the best, but for the life of me, why get Christophe Guy Denis "Christopher" Lambert an American-born French actor to play the lead role!!!
Well it is acting. But good point, for sure.

But he was not old. Sean Connery was though.

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
I could have made myself available for the part.
At least you would have had the accent down, right?
07-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #87
Pentaxian

I love my K10D. I sold my backup K10D a few years ago because I never needed it as my camera is a reliable workhorse. It takes wonderful photos and for all those who voted the K10D as ancient, I'd like to see your newer camera take as clean a photo as my K10D can at 100 ISO. I've considered upgrading a few times, but 98% of my photos are taken at ISO 100 and the IQ is unbeatable by anything newer, especially when it comes to blue skies. I recently did some shooting with a K-5ii and it was very nice, but until a newer camera really catches my attention, I'm happy with the K10D.

My K10D also gets the job done. It's not about having the latest and greatest if the tools I have get the job done right. There's been a couple times I really wish it focused a bit faster or had better low-light ability, but for the most part the camera focuses accurately and does what I need, from family snapshots to commercial billboard advertisement shots.

Grand Prix?
Do tell.
The Grand Prix was the limited edition of the K10D, just as the K20D Titanium version and K-5 silver version were special editions. However the Grand Prix was a little different from just a unique color, it commemorated all the awards and innovations for the K10D, specifically the Grand Prix Award. It was a brown body with gold lettering with matching straps and grip. Forum member AXL has (or had) one.

More info. here: K10D
07-09-2013, 01:36 PM   #88
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
There is only one Connor and that IS Lambert. I like Duncan and both the HL series too but Connor is THE Highlander so far as I am concerned. I liked 1 and 3. I consider 2 an abomination to be ignored no matter how many times they cut it. I think Endgame was pretty dumb. In particular the part where Duncan cut off Connor's head. As IF that would ever happen. Connor would kick his butt, sorry, but he WOULD, and I just don't buy that Duncan could beat him. He beat the KURGAN. He could beat Duncan with one hand tied behind his back. Duncan is good, but he ain't THAT good.

Duncan getting to win as a method of passing the torch was just LAME. Nobody liked it. To be fair the film is almost watchable because of the sublime presence of Peter Wingfield as Methos finally on the big screen but that's definitely almost, and only because he's in it. The Source, well that was the film that killed the whole franchise for me finally die hard HL fan that I am. That was just f-in horrible, and even my beloved Methos being in it couldn't save that one! It STUNK, not as bad maybe as HL2 stunk, but pretty darned close!

They're supposedly relaunching the whole thing again with a remake of the first film but I am very unhappy with them for that. There are just some movies that don't need to be remade damn it! First they remake Psycho, as if anyone ever needs to remake a Hitchcock film? Then Nightmare on Elm Street, then Fright Night, sometimes I just want to bit- slap the people who decide these things, I really do! I don't want a new HL movie. It's done. Dead and buried, they killed it. They should just leave us HL fans alone with the few good memories we have left.

I love Winfield and Byrnes. They had a major Bromance thing. I always wanted Methos and Joe to have their own Watcher series actually. I would have really liked to have seen that but no, Miss Amanda got her own show that only lasted one season and flopped and we never did get to see that one. Pity. It would have been too funny!
I find it interesting that I have met more women who are into the Highlander movies than men. I wonder why that is?

I was introduced to the first movie while dating a woman back in the mid 1980's. On our second or third date she suggested we rent this movie and watch it together. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, and when the second came out I rented it. I was hooked.

Recently the entire series was on the satellite and I invested the time to watch it all again.

Great times!
11-14-2013, 07:58 PM   #89

Sorry for opening up this OLD? thread.

Sometimes you've just gotta say 'Who gives a crap?' I've been with my GX10 (K10D Clone) for some time now and I'm very comfortable with it. When I look at some of my acquaintances with their brand new Nikons and Canons that cost perhaps 3 or 4 time what my old Samsung is worth, I feel happy to still have this old bird. My GX10 works and produces excellent results time after time and for me that's all that matters.
11-14-2013, 08:58 PM   #90
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Trawlerman Quote
Sorry for opening up this OLD? thread.
It is quite alright!

QuoteOriginally posted by Trawlerman Quote
Sometimes you've just gotta say 'Who gives a crap?' I've been with my GX10 (K10D Clone) for some time now and I'm very comfortable with it. When I look at some of my acquaintances with their brand new Nikons and Canons that cost perhaps 3 or 4 time what my old Samsung is worth, I feel happy to still have this old bird. My GX10 works and produces excellent results time after time and for me that's all that matters.
Actually I believe the new Canikons cost about a dozen times what the GX10 or K10 would sell for today. The depreciation of digital film cameras is worse than new automobiles.