Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How Old Is Old?
I have a K10 still use it and don't consider it old dirt is old 3041.67%
I have a K10 Adam please make a subforum for it to hold a prestigous place among the K5, etc. 912.50%
I have a K10 it collects dust on the shelf next to the Ansel Adams camera I got off of eBay 45.56%
I can not bear to have anything as ancient as a K10 1520.83%
If Pentax doesn't come out with a replacement for the K5IIs soon I think I'll go mad! 912.50%
What's a digital camera? 1520.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
11-20-2013, 07:44 AM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The Minolta RD-175 launched at about $10k. The camera did some very unique and expensive things to deliver reasonable image quality: it used a focal reducer system that scaled down the image to increase sensitivity and reduce the crop factor, then split the light to three CCDs and interpolate the resulting image to 1.75 megapixels.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minolta_RD-175
Minolta RD-175 - Camerapedia

--DragonLord

11-20-2013, 09:14 AM   #107
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OldNoob Quote
If i recall it was somewhere between 8 and 9 thousand dollars. but within a couple years the value dropped so fast it was horrifying.
Holy guacamole!

That was a chunk of change back then, and is still a considerable sum today.
11-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #108
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Holy guacamole!

That was a chunk of change back then, and is still a considerable sum today.

Yep...imagine taking that kind of depreciation on your gear within a few years. No fun!
11-20-2013, 11:00 AM   #109
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevbike Quote
As long as one can find the materials to get a camera working it is not old. Cameras like the old Brownie series that use either 616 or 620 film are now old due to fact that the is film no longer being made. I bought a Mavica MVC-FD71 that is still used. It is old in terms image quality but the basics how the image is created is the same. It creates an interesting image look.
I believe there are two emulsions available for 127 and now at least 4 for 110. As far as 620 goes, some of the cameras can accept 120, there are a few places that sell 120 re-spooled onto 620 spools and one can ree-spool from 120 to 620 themselves.

Even in large format film there has been a resurgance in several sizes that were considered obsolete that are now more easily avialable such as whole plate (6 1/2 by 8 1/2 inches)

Even with the advantages of the K5 my wife misses her K10D which still works but as a manual focus camera only. I never missed moving up from the D1X to the D200 at work as some cameras just do not deserve to be remembered fondly. I do beleive that in 5 years time more people will be using 5 year old cameras then do today simply as the reasons to upgrade for most becomes less and less. And I will be collecting a pension by then so for now I assume that collecting a pension is when a person is old but maybe then I will think that age is not so old