Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: How Old Is Old?
I have a K10 still use it and don't consider it old dirt is old 3041.67%
I have a K10 Adam please make a subforum for it to hold a prestigous place among the K5, etc. 912.50%
I have a K10 it collects dust on the shelf next to the Ansel Adams camera I got off of eBay 45.56%
I can not bear to have anything as ancient as a K10 1520.83%
If Pentax doesn't come out with a replacement for the K5IIs soon I think I'll go mad! 912.50%
What's a digital camera? 1520.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
07-01-2013, 08:55 AM   #16
Veteran Member

I think the poll shouldn't have been so tied to a specific camera model! Where is the option to check for having sold it long ago?!

I think the real problem is that the term old is equated with aging, and that simply doesn't really apply to advances in technology. Perhaps at a basic level, if a camera isn't the newest release then you could call it an old model, but that takes age out of the equation anyway. The real term we should be using here is outdated. And yes, the K10d is outdated. That doesn't mean it isn't great for certain things, or that is can no longer be used, or even that it is old! It just means there have been significant advances in technology since the K10d was introduced. From a technological perspective, it is outdated.

I think maybe we are trying to equate the digital age with the film age here as well. You could put the same film in a 2 year old camera and a 50 year old camera and get the same results - one camera is new, one is old, but the result was the same, and age didn't matter. Now however, the age of the camera will give you different results, you only have to put camera 2-3 years apart (or less) and compare to see it. I wasn't into photography when I was younger so never really used film, but I also can't imagine there were many significant advances in what could be achieved in the areas of low light or dynamic range with film (which from what I understand were at least partially manipulated in the darkroom anyway) unlike the advances made with digital sensors.

07-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #17
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I thought the poll was about something completely different and was going to say that old was Rupert and older.

As far as tech items, cameras. TVs, computers, tablets, etc.; to me, anything 3 generations or more behind the current is old.
07-01-2013, 09:52 AM   #18
Pentaxian

When I was in elementary school, a few teachers had Mavicas. Saved pictures on floppy disks. I probably wouldn't use one of them anymore.

07-01-2013, 10:44 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
When I was in elementary school, a few teachers had Mavicas. Saved pictures on floppy disks. I probably wouldn't use one of them anymore.
Now you're making me feel old. I was in high school when the first consumer digital cameras began to hit the market. By the time the floppy based Mavica digitals hit the market (not the earlier analog video still cameras) I was in my mid-twenties....

07-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #20
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I was in high school when the first consumer digital cameras began to hit the market.
You feel old? I was in High School when the first Hassleblad was left on the moon.
07-01-2013, 10:57 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm waiting for someone to tell me to get off of their lawn in this thread. I do it on anime convention forums since at 36 I'm one of the older ones there!
07-01-2013, 11:03 AM   #22
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
I think the poll shouldn't have been so tied to a specific camera model! Where is the option to check for having sold it long ago?!
Option number 3 is as close as you get.

Actually I failed to make it clear that the real purpose of the poll and the thread was to find out how many of us still have and use a K10.

Like me.

07-01-2013, 11:19 AM   #23

I donīt have the K10, but the K20 - and I would say itīs old - like my wife - but I still love them both
07-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I still shoot with my K10D, love that CCD sensor. I don't consider it 'Old'. Then again I still shoot with my ist D and a '64 vintage Spotmatic
07-01-2013, 12:01 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My 2004 Subaru is still new new car.
07-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My 2004 Subaru is still new new car.
Right, and a 20-year-old house is still not old, but a 2-year-old cellphone is a relic of a bygone era. Different things have vastly different expiration dates.
07-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
Different things have vastly different expiration dates.
I use an iPhone 3Gs. It was stunning technology when I got it, as was the K10D. They only feel old because other devices can now do things that were unthinkable just two years ago. Same for my 2011 laptop, which can run an intensive simulation in 30 seconds that was an overnight mainframe task just a decade ago. So what if it can't run the sim in 15 seconds?

It is all a matter of what you think you need.

The carton of milk in my refrigerator when I got back from vacation was old.

Last edited by monochrome; 07-01-2013 at 02:27 PM.
07-01-2013, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I'm waiting for someone to tell me to get off of their lawn in this thread. I do it on anime convention forums since at 36 I'm one of the older ones there!
I quit going to anime conventions when I noticed other conventioneers were there with their mothers - and their mothers were young enough to be interesting...

Oh, and get off my lawn!
07-01-2013, 12:51 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
'old' is a relative term that depends entirely on the rate of change. The biggest change measure for most photographers is image quality. Film cameras aged slowly because the image quality was affected more by the film stock than the cameras or lenses. Come on, we are still drooling over the IQ of glass that is 30+ years old. If you shoot film, raise your hands if you don't want a LX with a range of accessories and lenses. It will be easier to count all of you.

In the digital photography world, IQ has changed both dramatically and quickly over the past 15 years. Therefore our cameras have been deemed to be 'old' much faster. Sure we like additional features - but the biggest prompt to upgrade is better IQ.
07-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

When I was in high school, the Spotmatic was at the peak of its cycle. I own several cameras that were made in the early 1960s and they don't seem particularly "old" meaning that they look real nice, work the same as new, and can still be repaired. The oldest camera on the shelf (Yashica 44) was made in about 1957. It is still repairable, but I can no longer get film for it, so I guess I can call it old.

Steve

(Sorry Jussi (@Nesster), I know you date to 1957, but we are talking about old cameras, not old people, right?)

(OTOH, my Canon P (ca 1960) has got a wrinkled metal shutter curtain and wrinkles mean old, right?)