Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2008, 11:57 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K20D with contrast based AF in LV?

Many new cameras with Live View on the market now offer contrast based AF.
I understand that this is a software AF implementation by which the camera uses the image captured by a CMOS / NMOS sensor to achieve maximum contrast between the pixels surrounding a focus point.

Does this imply that Pentax could offer AF in LV as a firmware update?
Could it be done with the K20D hardware?

It would certainly influence my buying decision for the K20D over waiting for a K30D.

- Bert

Last edited by bymy141; 03-17-2008 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Missing "c"
03-17-2008, 01:08 PM   #2

I'm not sure if it is technically possible to implement contrast detecting live view in the K20d. However, regardless of the technical feasibility, I don't think Pentax will do this, even if they could. Contrast detecting AF is a major new feature that will help sell the K30d when it comes out. It would not be good business to give it away "for free" as an update to the K20d.

If someone has already bought into another maker's system they are unlikely to switch to Pentax just because it now offers one slightly upgraded live view feature.

If someone (like you) already has bought into the Pentax system, then it will make little difference to them whether you buy the K20d today or get the K30d next year. Your money will be spent on Pentax gear sooner or later. However, if the K30d is only a minor upgrade over the K20d, then those people who have already bought the K20d will have no reason to upgrade again. I'd say its likely that the K30d will have the same sensor as the K20d. Making a new sensor takes a few years. So, better live view, better AF, faster fps and a few other feature enhancements will be its main selling points.

Just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Personally, I'll be getting a K20d . But then I don't have a K10d. If I did already have as capable a camera as the K10d and I was happy with it, I'd probably wait for the K30d.
03-17-2008, 08:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jms698 Quote
I'm not sure if it is technically possible to implement contrast detecting live view in the K20d. However, regardless of the technical feasibility, I don't think Pentax will do this, even if they could. Contrast detecting AF is a major new feature that will help sell the K30d when it comes out. It would not be good business to give it away "for free" as an update to the K20d.
Except that the $800 Canon 450D offers it with no problem.

QuoteOriginally posted by jms698 Quote
I'd say its likely that the K30d will have the same sensor as the K20d. Making a new sensor takes a few years. So, better live view, better AF, faster fps and a few other feature enhancements will be its main selling points.
I'd probably wait for the K30d.
It'll probably be well into K30D production until I can afford another camera after investing in the K10D, but those improvements would surely make it worthwhile, along with a 3" hi rez screen.

The K20D sensor is already a nice improvement overall, and with a few tweaks such as less noisy ADC's to lower the low ISO readout noise as shown by GordonBGoode - the noise results might compare to the D300 which is about 20% less noisy at low ISO.

That would make a great package in a market where its already difficult to overcome the Nikon/Canon name hype and choose Pentax - offering more value at a lower price.

When that $1300 K30D will debut, I wonder what the D400 will be offering at $1700?
03-17-2008, 09:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Yep.

As you've suggested, it's possible but there is none. If you want to wait, be prepared for how long you'll wait! Who knows?

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
Many new cameras with Live View on the market now offer contrast based AF.
I understand that this is a software AF implementation by which the camera uses the image captured by a CMOS / NMOS sensor to achieve maximum contrast between the pixels surrounding a focus point.

Does this imply that Pentax could offer AF in LV as a firmware update?
Could it be done with the K20D hardware?

It would certainly influence my buying decision for the K20D over waiting for a K30D.

- Bert

03-17-2008, 10:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mutley Quote
Except that the $800 Canon 450D offers it with no problem.

It'll probably be well into K30D production until I can afford another camera after investing in the K10D, but those improvements would surely make it worthwhile, along with a 3" hi rez screen.

The K20D sensor is already a nice improvement overall, and with a few tweaks such as less noisy ADC's to lower the low ISO readout noise as shown by GordonBGoode - the noise results might compare to the D300 which is about 20% less noisy at low ISO.

That would make a great package in a market where its already difficult to overcome the Nikon/Canon name hype and choose Pentax - offering more value at a lower price.

When that $1300 K30D will debut, I wonder what the D400 will be offering at $1700?
Except the D300 will be on the floor for 3 years minimum. Nikon is on a 4 year production cycle on those cameras. So by the time the K40D hits we may hear rumors of a D400.
03-17-2008, 11:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by codiac2600 Quote
So by the time the K40D hits we may hear rumors of a D400.

If true, that's a great opportunity, and great news for the K30D.