Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2013, 11:04 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member
tclausen's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,399
QuoteOriginally posted by eirual Quote
Nice photoshop job - problem I see is with the "Photo-Video-Off" button, you have to slide it through the video setting to take a picture, not very practical. But - what a beautiful idea... A retro, FF camera, simple (don't really need the video at all), theoretically optimized for manual focus (wouldn't be opposed to a really nice autofocus system, but not at the expense of manual focus)...

It does need a photoshopped handgrip attachment (like you can get with the Leica M8/M9/M cameras)...
That all sounds very wonderful - do you think that we would be able to purchase it with photoshopped money?

In serious, looking at every digital cam I've had since the *istD, I use a fraction of the features: taking RAW, all the jpeg-processing and artistic filters are superfluous, I guess I've shot about 15s of movie over all the years, so that can go. I am shooting in Hyper-P/Av/M, so the scene/Tv modes can go. I always use spot metering, so the metering matrix and that sort of stuff can go also. Come to think, I also use AF in centre-spot mode, so more than a single focus point can go also.

Probably, the camera with all of that gone would appeal to me, and perhaps one or two folks on this forum also - and that'd be pretty much it (face it, Pentax isn't hip enough to appeal to the Leica M-crowd)....I don't think that that'd be a good business model for Pentax to go down that road.

07-03-2013, 12:59 AM   #17
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 21
QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
That all sounds very wonderful - do you think that we would be able to purchase it with photoshopped money?

In serious, looking at every digital cam I've had since the *istD, I use a fraction of the features: taking RAW, all the jpeg-processing and artistic filters are superfluous, I guess I've shot about 15s of movie over all the years, so that can go. I am shooting in Hyper-P/Av/M, so the scene/Tv modes can go. I always use spot metering, so the metering matrix and that sort of stuff can go also. Come to think, I also use AF in centre-spot mode, so more than a single focus point can go also.

Probably, the camera with all of that gone would appeal to me, and perhaps one or two folks on this forum also - and that'd be pretty much it (face it, Pentax isn't hip enough to appeal to the Leica M-crowd)....I don't think that that'd be a good business model for Pentax to go down that road.
I totally agree - to the technical description, in really liking such a device - and in realizing, that likely, we are not enough potential buyers to make it viable.

On the other hand - it would be a concept that would not need constant model changes. Once created, it could probably remain unchanged for 5 years.


Jon
07-03-2013, 01:02 AM   #18
Veteran Member
tclausen's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,399
QuoteOriginally posted by Jon Petersen Quote
I totally agree - to the technical description, in really liking such a device - and in realizing, that likely, we are not enough potential buyers to make it viable.

On the other hand - it would be a concept that would not need constant model changes. Once created, it could probably remain unchanged for 5 years.


Jon
And, for 4 of those 5 years, people wouldn't even consider it because "it's yesteryears technology"
07-03-2013, 01:20 AM   #19
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 21
I donīt think so - or at least not if the mp-count is "sufficient".

If you really want "dream" - why not construct the whole sensor/shakereduction unit as a sub-assembly, that can be changed as a cartridge?

Then, they could sell us a black-white unit too - and IF sensor technology keeps running forward, a new subassembly in 2-3 years time....


Jon

07-03-2013, 01:45 AM   #20
Veteran Member
tclausen's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,399
QuoteOriginally posted by Jon Petersen Quote
I donīt think so - or at least not if the mp-count is "sufficient".
Well, maybe you're right - it would have to appeal to the enthusiast market, not the consumer or even "novelty market", though, as the latter tends to go for the "latest fad" - cf. why many DSLR manufacturers simply spew out a "slightly tweaked" version of their entry-level model on a yearly basis, simply so that the consumer can "buy the latest and greatest": if manufacturer X sells a product "from last year", even if technically better than the product that manufacturer Y sells but which is "from this year", then in the minds of many "newer must be better".

What I'm trying to say is, that this would - once again - reduce the potential number of customers to this camera, over its lifespan (that you suggest 5 years) that I figure we're now literally down to a figure that can be counted on 2 hands.....

QuoteOriginally posted by Jon Petersen Quote
If you really want "dream" - why not construct the whole sensor/shakereduction unit as a sub-assembly, that can be changed as a cartridge?

Then, they could sell us a black-white unit too - and IF sensor technology keeps running forward, a new subassembly in 2-3 years time....
Jon
Didn't Leica try that with their R8 and R9 SLRs: a removable back that could be replaced with a "Digital Module R" and make a 35mm camera into a digital ditto? If memory serves, the DMR and R8/R9 were discontinued in 2007 or 2008 or so, and....if Leica can't (with all the loyalty that comes with that brand, and the enthusiasts buying into it at a premium) make that work, I have little hope that Pentax could make it be both attractive technically and photographically, and financially viable.

Btw., I believe that the Hasselblad 500-series can do what you suggest, also
07-03-2013, 02:59 AM   #21
Pentaxian
Jonathan Mac's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 4,343
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Aw man, that is beautiful. Where do I place my pre-order?
Ditto.
07-03-2013, 03:13 AM   #22
Pentaxian
aurele's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,967
it's beautiful but not ergonomic when it comes about button : to change anysetting while shooting, you should use your left hand, wich is a pain.
07-03-2013, 04:54 AM   #23
Pentaxian
Na Horuk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Slovenia, probably
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,863
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
it's beautiful but not ergonomic when it comes about button : to change anysetting while shooting, you should use your left hand, wich is a pain.
Yeah, its the button placement that makes me think its a hoax. Though, it really looks beautiful, great concept.
But those buttons and the shutter speed wheel on top.. :/
Though, I could live with awkward buttons if the price is low enough

07-03-2013, 05:05 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,920
Pentax does not like to put their buttons on the right side


That aside, where can I queue up for one
07-03-2013, 06:48 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Sandy Hancock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,718
Buttons on the right invite accidents. If your right hand is on the shutter, and your left hand is on the lens (as they should be) it takes a deliberate act to alter important settings.
Old school. Respect.
07-03-2013, 07:24 AM   #26
Site Supporter
p38arover's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Western Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,078
For those of us who are left eye dominant, the current Pentax DSLR rear control placement is not ideal as they are next to one's nose.

Last edited by p38arover; 07-04-2013 at 12:24 AM.
07-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Aristophanes's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,922
No room for a modern battery and circuitry, not with an FF motherboard and sensor on there.
07-03-2013, 08:31 AM   #28
Site Supporter
mattt's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Niagara
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,806
Besides all that, renaming the company to Ricoh Imaging Ltd.... where does AOCo logo on the prism fit in? Maybe they ought to do up a Honeywell version too? It is pretty though.
07-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #29
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 8,795
the Nikon Hot shoe is a dead giveaway.

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
My hat is off to the photoshop artist, that is a remarkable job!
oooh I can do better...much better...
07-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,180
And it comes with one awesome lens too.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, photography, spotmatic d concept
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it time to change "kit" concept? i83N Photographic Industry and Professionals 50 08-02-2013 09:43 AM
For Sale - Sold: Beautiful, CLA'd Spotmatic F arpaagent Sold Items 2 12-28-2012 01:01 PM
If anyone can help me with this annoying color calibration issue, I'd appreciate it crossover37 Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 11 05-01-2011 11:49 AM
Holga D design concept KungPOW Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 13 07-27-2010 05:01 PM
Manual D-SLR concept camera marcdsgn Pentax DSLR Discussion 33 01-04-2008 03:48 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:50 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top