Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2008, 02:04 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Another help me decide post

Hi all,

I have been reading on this and other forums to make a decission on which camera to buy : K100D Super - K10D or the new K200D.

My main interest goes to the K100D Super for its ISO3200 capability. Would this be a wise decission. I basically shoot family pictures and was thinking of a good high iso camera for indoor shots. I have never printed anything bigger than A4.

I had a good deal on a second hand K10D body (475 - with 10000 clicks) but what holds me back is the lesser jpeg quality I have been reading about and the missing ISO3200. I know RAW is the best quality but I don't have the time to process all images in Photoshop or another tool (basically because I think it takes alot of time)

K200D: same sensor as K10D but better ISO performance at ISO1600 (but also no ISO3200).

I know about the K10D having all its buttons at hand but that is not very important to me. Image quality is.

Thanks for your suggestions, user experience and advice.

03-18-2008, 02:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Are you sure its a DSLR you want? There are some mighty fine superzooms out these days.

A friend of mine just bought one with 28-500mm, 10 megapixel, ISO 80-6400, raw format. There are those with image stabilization, support extern flash etc.

If you think that developing images etc are too much work and you just want to point and click, such cameras might be what you want? No hassle with lenses etc either.
03-18-2008, 03:27 AM   #3

I have to agree with Zewrak with the point and click opinion on this one. I mean why would you try to get such a complicated camera such as a DSLR and not take the time to at least run your pictures through a quick RAW to JPEG program and fix them a little while ur at it. Specially if you have Light Room shooting raw is just about the same as shooting JPEG and your pictures will look infinitely better if you touch em up a bit so that is what having a DSLR entails. In order to really get the great pictures you get from a DSLR you usually NOT ALWAYS have to go through some kind of program have it be the Pentax supplied RAW workshop or Lightroom but thats just my opinion on that.
03-18-2008, 03:32 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Zewrak makes a valid point and this may be the way to go. P&S is just plainly a faster and simpler option. DSLR's are not for everyone.

I'd still recommend the K10D. First the shooting RAW vs Jpeg is a moot point IMO. The Jpegs are fine when shot in bright mode and second if you don't like thm for some reason, either shoot Jpeg + RAW or do a simple conversion of all the RAW images out of the camera using the Pentax software or several other programs. It only takes a few button clicks and they are all converted.

High ISO's are a tougher area. The K100 series is better and you can get decent images out of the camera at 1600 but there will be noise and more at 3200. You can get good results from the K10D a long as you shoot slightly over-exposed. The image quality won't suffer and the noise will be reduced.

If image quality is the most important, shoot RAW so you have the best images to work with in case there is the occasional one you want to do more with and for interior shooting get the fastest glass you can afford. Then learn how to use a flash.

03-18-2008, 04:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Just look at what a compact can do nowdays. Shot in jpgClick here
03-18-2008, 04:57 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies.

I did make it look as if I don't want to work on my pics. That is not the case, but I have the idee that it takes a lot of work to process RAW pictures.

From what you are saying it doesn't. So this means you batch process your RAW's ? But if you batch process with some standard settings, one has to review the converted pics and redo some if the results aren't satisfactory ? Is the Pentax software good for RAW's?

I have a bridge at the moment but it doesn't perform well in low light (its a Pana FZ30).

So I definitely want to buy a DSRL (I like playing with several settings so I don't use auto mode at all) but I want to know if its worth buying a K100D Super for its ISO 3200 since they will be out of stock soon.
03-18-2008, 05:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I'll be the descending opinion, I guess. I shoot a lot of indoor family pictures without flash and with only the kit lens. ISO 800 and a fairly wide aperture will do you just fine. I shoot probably 80% JPG which of course requires no additional processing. If you want to process your RAW pictures in batch mode with the same settings, your time investment can be less than 5 minutes. Very simply, you are not going to get the IQ from a P&S as you are a good DSLR. Choosing a DSLR was the best electronics choice I made in years.

I can't help you directly with your decision, but you can't go wrong with any three options, I have been extremely happy with my K100D. A little more ability to crop would be nice at times, but certainly not a requirement.
03-18-2008, 05:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Yes, you can batch your pictures. Open one and make the adjustments you want and then apply it to all similar images. For example if you go out one day and take pictures at the same place, chances are you want to use the same settings for all images. Then you can fine adjust a few if needed.