Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2008, 03:17 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How much to charge?

Firstly to the Moderators: if this question is not allowed, then please delete and accept my apologies for posting. (I hope its not a shooting offence )

The question: How much should one charge for burning photos to CD / DVD from a public event where one was the sole "official" photographer. Its a country event, dirt track motor sport, families etc.

A number of people have asked to purchase shots.

I was thinking in multiples of 5 shots (min 5..of course) burnt to CD / DVD. But really have no idea what to charge. Is $25 min (5 shots) $40 for 10 etc a fair thing ??? As I said....have no idea!!!

Very grateful for any advice.
Cheers
Grant

03-18-2008, 05:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Burning CD's of event photos is a popular item up here in my area. Horse shows(me) moto cross etc.

Prices are really varied.

Some of the equine photographers charge $30-50 for one photo, max up to 5 photos for +- $75-100.

There are others, my self included that will sell the photos taken of one person, rider, for a set fee, with no adjustments etc.

They go for $30-$50

Hope that helps.

Dave
03-18-2008, 07:16 AM   #3
Pentaxian

My youngest daughter has competed in the sport of rowing for many years and there is a company called easy Sports-Software | Fussballsoftware - Fussballübungen - Fussballtraining that takes pictures of every crew and every race and makes them available for sale and they do quite a business. At the events in Saratoga, NY they bring in a trailer set up with several computers so people can see pictures and order prints within an hour of the race.They usually get 3 to 5 shots of each rower and crew and parents and racers can pick the ones they want. They are available discounted the day of the event but available online for years. My daughters race at the junior Nationals 2005 is still online. If I remember right they charged around $20 for a print. Check their web page. You could make enough side money to pay for some pretty impressive camera gear doing this. As a regatta voulenteer I worked in the dock area and took the photographers out in the boats a few times and they had lenses that probably cost more than my car. Regattas continue to race in heavy rain so that was another infulence on my decision to get a K10D. She is still competing in college and the season starts in about 2 weeks so i'm looking forward to a lot pictures this year. Good luck! You could end up with a great little side business.
03-18-2008, 07:21 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Sorry, It seems my post automaticly changed the name of the link. Anyhow, search for Sports-Graphics. They are there. Don't know what fussball is. Is that what Yankees play when the Red Sox kick their butts? LOL

03-18-2008, 07:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Sorry, It seems my post automaticly changed the name of the link. Anyhow, search for Sports-Graphics. They are there. Don't know what fussball is. Is that what Yankees play when the Red Sox kick their butts? LOL
Fussball is German for "football" or better translated in context "soccer."
03-18-2008, 02:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

It could be the German soccer but it could also be the very popular table football
Table football - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reeftool, are you sure this is the same company? Nothing on their website indicates any of their software for the purposes you mentioned. All their products seem to be aimed at training graphics.
03-18-2008, 02:45 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GWP Quote
Firstly to the Moderators: if this question is not allowed, then please delete and accept my apologies for posting. (I hope its not a shooting offence )

The question: How much should one charge for burning photos to CD / DVD from a public event where one was the sole "official" photographer. Its a country event, dirt track motor sport, families etc.

A number of people have asked to purchase shots.

I was thinking in multiples of 5 shots (min 5..of course) burnt to CD / DVD. But really have no idea what to charge. Is $25 min (5 shots) $40 for 10 etc a fair thing ??? As I said....have no idea!!!

Very grateful for any advice.
Cheers
Grant

Hi Grant

Check out this website, Sports Photographics Australia Photo Gallery

Shows prices for shots taken at specifically, the Master Games in Adelaide last year. I'm involved in Dragonbaot racing and had a chat with the official photographers - you know the type - Canon 1DS Mark III, 300mm f2 lens etc (about $20k worth of kit), they make good money for freelancing - if only I didn't have that mortgage . . .mmmm.

Anyway, hope the URL helps with your pricing dilemma.
03-18-2008, 03:39 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all, very helpful (as always).

Obviously my thinking was way off.

Cheers
Grant

03-18-2008, 03:59 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yep Yep Yep - one thing to remember Grant is you are giving them the jpg - in Mexico with the Kids swimming with the dolphins each photo was about $20.00 USD and no jpg. For about $200.00 the would include a DVD (which we bought for $50.00) and 8 pictures on CD.

So yeah if I were selling I would be way off as well. In Mexico I took about 2000 shots , lets say at leat half are good at $20.00 a pop wow !!! I am going back haha
03-18-2008, 09:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member

you need to set your prices to something that your market will bear so that you actually sell some and so make a few bucks.

I reckon something like $30-40 for whatever shots (assuming more than 1 or 2) you have of the customer would be reasonable. I'd fork over the cash... make it much more and I'd probably give it a miss.

Cheers, Nige
03-19-2008, 08:53 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
It could be the German soccer but it could also be the very popular table football
Table football - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reeftool, are you sure this is the same company? Nothing on their website indicates any of their software for the purposes you mentioned. All their products seem to be aimed at training graphics.
Yes, I just went to the site. sport-graphics.com or Google it. I mentioned this site for reference to pricing and the service they offer, not software. They do a great amount of business at all the regattas. One of those things I wish I had thought to do. I wasn't picking on soccer BTW, just a little annoyed that I linked a site and it was changed. As a parent, I have purchased photos from them. Sometimes you just get so excited at a race you can't get good shots and i'm thankful a pro was there. They were worth the 20 bucks.