Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2013, 10:14 PM   #46
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by virgilr Quote
Oh lord that is an amazing image! Love your PP to give it a painterly feel- would you mind posting something a little higher res? At this resolution I swore it was a painting!
:
For these kind of images, one really need a 645D or a similar medium format camera, with plenty of megapixels, impeccable detail comprehension. And what I've done with a K7, is just a sketch then, before the real thing is done with a 645D, perhaps using three vertical shots merged into one. Some 120 MPs.
Because really good fine art prints I'm thinking about then are in the range of around 1m -1.2m wide, at least. Add a nice frame to it, and then fine art qualities of the piece can be really enjoyed and the picture absorbs you in.
Ah I can dream on .. but if I were able to rent a 645D with a 25mm lens for a few days, I would do several projects like this. But what is more important then are DSLR made sketches, like this one, so you know exactly what to do and don't waste time.
Then spend a week on each picture in PP

Last edited by Uluru; 07-22-2013 at 10:33 PM.
07-23-2013, 10:55 AM   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by virgilr Quote
Oh lord that is an amazing image! Love your PP to give it a painterly feel- would you mind posting something a little higher res? At this resolution I swore it was a painting!
Uluru, please forgive me, but it doesn't look entirely plausible to me?

The white sky suggest overcast conditions, confirmed by no sunny spots reaching the ground or leaves.

On the other hand, the hard shadow on the lady's right arm reveals a different, hard and bright light source. The uneven light distribution (focussing on the upper half body) suggests artificial light. No other object in the scene receives this direct light, or casts a corresponding shadow, and the lady doesn't get any shadows from branches. This may make a spectator suspecting a studio fashion shot (or a painting) inserted into the scene. The hardness of the shadow on the lady's arm is a tiny clue against being a painting, because I believe that painters wouldn't do that? (I'm not a painting expert though, just guessing instinctively). The footway looks a bit too clean, no twig, no leaf, no root, and there's no shadow which would be a plausible match to the hard and bright light on the lady.

What do you think, where have I been misled?

Having said that, the idea and the choice of model, fashion, scene, composition and light are masterful. I don't think that the Lady is a studio fashion shot or a painting, but I imagine, for others, this may be the first thought coming in to their mind. To reduce that risk, I would avoid tidying/cleaning the footway too much in postprocessing (if you did that). Imperfections may increase visual plausibility? Just a fun idea: what about posting the unprocessed original?

Last edited by Frater; 07-23-2013 at 11:06 AM.
07-23-2013, 12:49 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Frater, I too am curious if this is a collage due to many of the same lighting clues. But all that is there that can be done in PP, or maybe a reflector on the subject? Only Uluru knows... ;-)
07-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #49
Pentaxian

Incredible image, uluru (however you achieved it) !

07-24-2013, 12:04 AM   #50
Banned

This is large pano of 7 stitched images, all from the K7.
"An endless wave". Taken close to 12 apostles (on the coast of the Southern Ocean, Australia). What I like about this image is the glow of the air and ocean spray, and almost an endless line of the ocean wave. I have used a slight tele lens, thus the sun looks incredibly big ... but which suits the panorama motif, and gives it a surreal feeling.