Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2013, 04:52 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Is it possible to use manual flash in TAv mode?

Hi,

A previous thread on this was a dead end so let me change the question a bit:
Is it possinble to have manual control of a flash in TAv mode?
More specific, K20D / Pentax AF360 flash combo
I was able to do manual control (1/8 power) once in TAv mode but I can not repeat it. It seems it was a "fortunate error".
Any comments on this?

Thanks,

07-06-2013, 05:20 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
On the K-01, TAv is selected by using M mode and selecting auto iso.
When I attached the AF360 and selected M mode with fixed iso, the flash would allow selection P-TTL, A, M, SB
Then I selected Auto iso . The flash then only allows P-TTL, SB
07-06-2013, 07:05 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I think the 360 doesn't like to function that way by default, but you can force it. The problem is that if the flash is going to contribute significantly to the exposure, say more than 30%, the camera has no way of compensating for it's output. So the camera will try to get the exposure right based on the reflected ambient reading, and then when the flash gets added in you get overexposure by whatever amount the flash is contributing. If you know ahead of time you want a 2:1 ratio you could set the camera tun underexpose by half a stop, but then why not just shoot in manual?

To force the flash to work in manual mode, you can either do as wombat suggests and shoot in manual with auto ISO, or, fool the flash into thinking somehow it's not attached to the camera. Putting electrical tape over the TTL contacts seems to work. then the flash can't tell what mode the camera is in, it just gets the signal to "fire now."
07-09-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
Pentaxian

It doesn't make good sense to do anything in auto ISO with flash. You are losing control of a variable, and the camera would not know what you're trying to do. The flash becomes your variable when in use. Best then to set your three camera variables yourself.