Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2013, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery
DSLR Remote App

HI,

If anyone out there has a Samsung phone or Tablet (Sony tablets too) with the IR. Just to let you know I found a free app "DSLR Remote" that wirelessly triggers my K5.

The default setup for the App was Pentax. (Don't think they could get this info from my tablet). Anyway other camera makes are also available.

Just had to set up K5 for remote use and it fired right away. Very easy to set up. I have a 10" tablet so might not be best thing to use all the time, but those with a Note or Note II phone will always have remote with them.

07-06-2013, 01:57 PM   #2

Thanks for the heads up! I bought a HTC One a few weeks ago, and it works fine with it. I do wish that the remote would also let you AF with Pentax though. You can't beat free though, and this will be a great backup.
07-07-2013, 01:36 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Brazeal Quote
I do wish that the remote would also let you AF with Pentax though.
Isn't there an option in the K-5 Custom settings menu item 18 - 'AF with Remote'. The default is Off.

Maybe that's why your K-5 doesn't work with this app. Can you confirm if that works with your HTC if you change the 'AF with Remote' option to 'On' ?
07-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Originally I just had focused the camera myself first before trying the remote release.

I just played around a bit and it depends on how your camera is set up, not just custom menu item 18 set to AF. Mine was set to AF, but camera was not doing the AF just like Brazeal mentioned.

However, it also depends on your Custom menu 15 and 16 settings. Depending on which AF setting your on (AFS or AFC) then the respective custom menu setting 15/16 needs to be set at Focus priority.

When I changed to Focus priority the camera did AF before taking the picture.

07-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wile Quote
However, it also depends on your Custom menu 15 and 16 settings. Depending on which AF setting your on (AFS or AFC) then the respective custom menu setting 15/16 needs to be set at Focus priority.
When I changed to Focus priority the camera did AF before taking the picture.
Excellent to hear. So now there is a confirmed working Android IR remote control app that does AF. I think many people will find this handy.
07-07-2013, 05:53 PM   #6

Yeah, I know about the AF settings on my K-5, but I have a cheap wireless remote that has both a shutter and an AF button, which is very handy.
I'm trying to make myself use the back AF button instead of half pressing the shutter, and although I could go in and change a few menu settings to AF with the one button on the app, it would be nice to have a second button just for AF. With that said, I used the app alot today, and I am pleased with the responsiveness of the app button.