Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2008, 03:34 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by columbus Quote
So I'm pretty sure that I'm going to but a K10/20D by the end of the summer, but I'm not sure if I want to get the kit or buy the body and a separate lens. I have Three old (K mount I think) lenses from an old Ricoh film slr, but I have no Idea how the quality is.

I have a Ricoh 50mm 2.8, Continental 80-200mm (4.5 or 2.8- I'm not sure) and a Continental 22mm (1.8 or 2.8) How can I find out more info on these lenses?

Also- How does the kit lens compare to other kit lenses in the K10/20D class?
Ouch, a VERY difficult question to answer.
I guess this question is best asked in the lenses sub forum though.

The best answer is: it depends!

What kind of photographer are you? (Hobby, indoor, outdoor, travel, architecture??)
What kind of subject do you make photos of? (Landscape, hiking, portrait, weddings?)
Under what kind of circumstances? (Time to change lenses no issue? Weight no issue?)
What is your budget? (DA* and expensive primes or not)
Do you want ultra sharp or flexibility? (Primes or Zoom)

My favourite setup:
My kit lens has hardly being ever on my camera. Dont buy it.

Travel:
Mostly; my (Tamron) 18-250mm. Deals with 90% off all situations.
FA 50mm f1.4 for low light. No external flash.

Wet environment travel: I take the DA* with me. I love the fact that it is weather proof and it is SHARP, at least my copy is! Hate the size and weight though. It stays at home if I think I can manage without it.

At home:
Mostly my DA* 16-50mm is on it.
I have a number of old manual lenses. The get hardly ever mounted on the camera!
I use my FA50, f1.4 in very low light, no flash situations. GREAT lens, cheap.
I have a non automatic external flash for large indoor environments.

Id buy the Tamron or Pentax 18-250mm with FA 50, f1.4 combo again at first.

Then save for the DA* 16-50 and wait for the coming DA* 60-250mm!

Unless you are a bird photographer, or a portrait photographer, or a macro photographer, or an architecture .. , . Youd need different choices!

- Bert

03-25-2008, 04:23 PM   #17
Inactive Account

I recently convinced my dad to get a k100d super... and there was such little price difference between the body+kit and the body alone that there was no sense in not getting it! It's actually quite a decent lens as well - i never got one with my K10d. Having said that, if i went back in time my first lens would definately be the Pentax A 50mm f1.7 I picked up cheap on ebay!
03-25-2008, 08:22 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pixelpruner Quote
I recently convinced my dad to get a k100d super... and there was such little price difference between the body+kit and the body alone that there was no sense in not getting it! It's actually quite a decent lens as well - i never got one with my K10d. Having said that, if i went back in time my first lens would definately be the Pentax A 50mm f1.7 I picked up cheap on ebay!
I agree with this ^.

Sometimes the body & kit lens are only about $50 more than the body alone, so you'll be getting a decent lens very cheaply.

If you have the money, I'd suggest the DA 16-45mm.

It has a more solid feel to it, and the colors are richer, and it's sharper than the kit to my eye.

A great all-around lens you can leave on the camera most of the time.

Mike