Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-08-2013, 01:53 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Why did you choose Pentax?

It occurred to me the other day that I couldnt really remember why I had purchased a K20d. I had owned a canon xsi for about 4 months, sold it, then for some reason I decided to try Pentax on a whim. Some part of it was that I always enjoy the fact that Pentax always seems to be the underdog while still yet producing cameras that have attributes which no other camera has in that price range. Be it the weathersealing, the pentaprism viewfinder in even the lower end cameras, or the fact that one can get WR lenses for the same price or even cheaper than a similar lens for the big two or three, I love that about Pentax.

Anyhow though, I'm curious to know how many out there have switched from canon, nikon, or sony to Pentax and why? Also, are there any out there that shoot with Pentax AND one of the others?

07-08-2013, 01:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I like a lot of different cameras, systems and brands (I also have a fairly sizable micro four-thirds kit and a few decent compacts). But I bought into Pentax in 2008 essentially because of value for money. In terms of value, it's still there for the cameras. Not so much for the lenses anymore except for some of the low-end glass, which can be surprisingly good.
07-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've blogged about why - Why Did I Choose Pentax K-x Over Canon 500D And Nikon D3100? - RonakG.com
07-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For the lenses. That was back in the days of the Spotmatic and Takumars. I then stuck with Pentax through an ME and K1000 (both still works), but switched to Canon when autofocus came around. The Canon never gave me the feeling of having a precision instrument in my hands, though, so when the *istD came out, I was back in the Pentax camp.

07-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I searched for DSLR AA batteries. The k-x was the only thing that came up. Probably a silly reason to base a decision on but it has worked out well. Wife has the k-x, I have k-5. DIL has a white k-x, good friend now has a black k-x and other son's girlfriend just got a k-30. And I have a k-01. So 6 cameras purchased because the k-x uses AA's.
07-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The K-x beat all the options on quality, specs, price, and it used AAs. The backward compatibility to all their K-mount lenses and the kit with 18-55 and 55-300 cinched the deal. I wish they would offer the new models with the 18-55 + 55-300 combo, its a great setup right out of the gate. I still use the 55-300 regularly even with my MUCH more expensive lenses
07-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonakG Quote
Good reasons.

I couldn't comment on your blog page, but the guy who complained about slow performance probably needs to disable lens corrections. They slow the camera down to a crawl. Also, I have not experienced poor AF in low light. Maybe I'm just used to my K20D and K100D Super, which really are slow to AF in low light. The K-x was a definite improvement and rarely hunts. Of course the K-r's AF Assist is an advantage, if you want to use it. Not everyone likes the bright AF light in a dim room. What focus points are you using? I use center point only, as it is the most reliable.

07-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

1- Pentax system rocks for outdoors and cheaper than it competitors.
2- cheap, fast, excelent IQ primes. (legacy)
3- Isnīt under the "Pro" etiquette
07-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Good reasons.

I couldn't comment on your blog page, but the guy who complained about slow performance probably needs to disable lens corrections. They slow the camera down to a crawl. Also, I have not experienced poor AF in low light. Maybe I'm just used to my K20D and K100D Super, which really are slow to AF in low light. The K-x was a definite improvement and rarely hunts. Of course the K-r's AF Assist is an advantage, if you want to use it. Not everyone likes the bright AF light in a dim room. What focus points are you using? I use center point only, as it is the most reliable.
I think the AF performance differs from lens to lens. It's the kit lens that's generally slow in low-light. I also use center point focus only. Without the AF point confirmation in viewfinder, 5 and 11 point focus is hit and miss for me.
07-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

This.

As well as I'd used a Nikon, and found it silly that stabilization on some lenses could double or triple the cost.
07-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

For my first DSLR, I chose the Pentax K100D Super for shake reduction, AA batteries, highly rated kit lens, dust shaker, state of the art noise performance, best value, best handling, no missing features.

I did a lot of research. IBIS was the main reason for eliminating the big two, but Canon 350D had no spot metering and felt cheap, Nikon D40 had no AF motor. Olympus and Sony had IBIS, but Olympus had a smaller sensor and Sony controls for entry level bodies were absurd, more like a TV than a camera. I found a K100DS kit on sale locally and loved the solid feel. It felt comfortable in my hands and well built (my wife still uses it).

The K20D and K-x were clear winners in their categories when I bought those too.

Last edited by audiobomber; 07-08-2013 at 07:27 PM.
07-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I suppose I chose Pentax because I wished to remain an individual and not follow the Canon-Nikon-Sony herd!
07-08-2013, 02:56 PM   #13
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Because 40 some odd years ago, the Spotmatic II was the best camera out there (39 years for you purists). Then an ME followed by an LX, ist*DS, K20, K5. A K IIs is currently 'in the mail'. They've all fit my needs.
07-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I am pretty new to Pentax and when I decided to buy a DSLR last year, I did a lot of research and finally narrowed down to Nikon 7000, K-5 and T4i. Canon T4i was considered only for its tiltable LCD. But finally when it came to the image quality Pentax was the one to rule them all. Even while hearing my friend's praises about D800, I still kept buying more and more lenses. Now I own a K5 in addition to some older Pentax bodies! I wish if Pentax came up with an FF before people start leaving the camp.
07-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #15
Pentaxian

As a long-time, die-hard, loyal, long-suffering supporter of Philadelphia's professional basketball team, the 76ers, I always root for the underdog with limited financial resources and a lack of big-name stars! That's why I support Pentax! To me, the Nikon and Canon are sort of the L.A. Lakers of the camera world-- lots of glamor, publicity, and celebrity fans like Ashton Kutcher and Maria Sharapova.

Sorry if I offend any L.A. Lakers fans out there, but it's kind of true. Rooting for the Lakers is like rooting for the Yankees in baseball or Cowboys in football.... (unless, of course, you grew up in those areas-- I'm really talking about band-wagon jumping fans who don't live anywhere near L.A., NYC, or Dallas)