Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2008, 03:25 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
multi segmented metering

On page 136 of my K100d manual it states that, on the very bottom of the page, If Pentax type lens are not used that when multi seg metering is selected center-weighted metering is automaticaly set. Am I reading this right in that with my Tamron 18-250 multi-seg metering is not an option?

03-21-2008, 06:37 AM   #2

I have post the same question (previous thread) with no answer.When you open a picture with Pentax Photo Browser (or similar) that was taken with your Tamron selecting multisegment mettering, cay you check the metering information it shows (multisegment or center-weighted). I can't test that because I only have Pentax lens.

Thanks
03-21-2008, 07:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

My manual states that centerweighted metering is forced when using other lenses than DA, D FA, FA J, FA, F and A.

Basically, the old manual lenses without an A setting on the aperture ring, forces to centerweighted metering.

No problems on using lenses from other manufacturers, as long as they are automatic (which, generally, all new lenses are).

(To back it up a little, I get multi-segmented metering with my Tamron 70-300mm.)
03-21-2008, 07:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

When I use my Sigma lenses, the EXIF indicates "multi segment metering". So, I guess third party manufacturers where able to figure out all the encoding that goes on between camera and lenses to make it fully compatible with the camera.

03-21-2008, 09:52 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dwssas Quote
On page 136 of my K100d manual it states that, on the very bottom of the page, If Pentax type lens are not used that when multi seg metering is selected center-weighted metering is automaticaly set. Am I reading this right in that with my Tamron 18-250 multi-seg metering is not an option?
You get multi-segment readings on lenses that have the "A" position and associated contacts. As a side note, has anyone with an F (not FA) lens checked to see if it will go into matrix metering? I know there is some difference in the contact layout, but not what it is.
03-21-2008, 05:12 PM   #6

Yes, F series lenses allow the K100D and K10D to go into matrix metering. It seems everything is the same as FA lenses. I just joined to answer your question. Hello to all from the cold country.

Dave in AK
03-21-2008, 05:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

No camera manufacturer is going to tell you how 'third party' lenses work on your camera UNLESS that camera manufacturer only makes cameras and has NO alliance with a lens company.

And actually, I can think of a few where that is indeed the case and they tout the use of 'K-Mount' lenses!!!
03-21-2008, 09:41 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aklance Quote
Yes, F series lenses allow the K100D and K10D to go into matrix metering. It seems everything is the same as FA lenses. I just joined to answer your question. Hello to all from the cold country.

Dave in AK
Thanks. Good to know in case I run across an F lens that looks interesting.

03-22-2008, 05:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
No camera manufacturer is going to tell you how 'third party' lenses work on your camera UNLESS that camera manufacturer only makes cameras and has NO alliance with a lens company.

And actually, I can think of a few where that is indeed the case and they tout the use of 'K-Mount' lenses!!!
What about Fuji? They don't use PK mount.
03-22-2008, 07:10 AM   #10
Veteran Member

3rd Party lenses which can autofocus with Pentax will also be compatible with mult-segment metering.